RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Jett VS Super tigre (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/2029072-jett-vs-super-tigre.html)

freebird1 07-27-2004 05:28 PM

Jett VS Super tigre

Hi

I have only been in the hobby for about 3 years, but have had several planes and have built 12 ARFs. I Love speed and power. I am in the process of building a Patriot XL. I am sparing no expense with this one. I have had the best luck with power and quality with Super Tiger. I wish to put the best engine in the Patriot. I am looking at the Jett .90L. It looks great, but the spec are very close to Super Tiger .90. Is the huge price worth the difference in the two engines. I know what the Super Tiger will do. I just hate to pay the huge price for a Jett if only a few more RPMS that I can get with a Tuned Pipe for the Super Tiger.

Thanks
Freebird

rockhouse 07-27-2004 06:46 PM

RE: Jett VS Super tigre

Look again. Sometimes manufacturers boost their horspower ratings. Jett doesn't list them because there is no consistancy (ie. fuel, & props). Ask around & you will find that the Jett is the answer to go fast.

Razor-RCU 07-27-2004 08:01 PM

JETT > .

Coming Next week- VW vs Ferrari

freebird1 07-27-2004 08:05 PM

This is the popular oppion. Have you used Super Tiger rockhouse? Thanks rockhouse I am thinking very hard.The thing is I want this to be my baby, but I hate to throw money away. If the Jett .90L is the best then the Jett is what she will have. I have found that hear the people know, and I will listen, just a little hard headed after good luck with Super Tiger. The wife will beat me, but I will heal. My finger is shacking to punch the buy button on Jett's website. Just about there to try a change.

Freebird

GeeBeer 07-27-2004 09:09 PM

What about the ST .90 with the addition of a Jett "Jett Stream" tuned muffler? Their model JS-90 states that it will fit this particular engine and with the additional cost of $79... the total still comes out much below the Jett .90.

Would performance be simmilar?

Cyclic Hardover 07-27-2004 09:48 PM

I have both the ST G90 and the Jett.90 L. Both are excellent engines but they do not even come close in power and speed. The compression on the Jett is unlike anything I have ever seen. Most who do not own one think the engine has ceased when trying to turn it over by hand.

Be sure to glass tape/epoxy all the corners of your firewall front and back and any area around the engine or I promise you the engine will rip right out. The G90 and Jett may have similar spec sizes but thats all they have in common. If I had to give you and example I would say the difference between the two could be like comparing a .40 to a 90.

Adding a pipe or anything to the ST will get you nothing and will still come up short. You want speed and performance, your going to have to pay the piper, go with the Jett.

js3 07-27-2004 10:17 PM

Freebird,

For someone who is "sparing no expense" on your Patriot, you sure seem concerned about the price tag of the Jett. I'm not trying to be sarcastic or mean spirited--just pointing out that your words are contradictory.

I have a Jett .90L. Get the the Jett. You WON'T be disappointed.

freebird1 07-27-2004 10:33 PM

Well I hope the beating will not be to severe from the wife. That what I say when I spend money. Actualy see just glad because it gives her a reason to go to walmart. The jett is on its way. I am very excited. js3 stated " For someone who is "sparing no expense" on your Patriot, you sure seem concerned about the price tag of the Jett." OK, Ok your right I admit I am tihgt, but somethings are worth it. For example, my fellow club members use my new Jett towel to wipe tears when the Patriot makes a victory roll while they catch up (yes).

Thanks guys, but any more positive Post are very very welcome to assure my decision:D

Freebird

freebird1 07-27-2004 10:51 PM

Has anyone had this combination of Patroit XL and JETT .90L. How did it fly? I know I am looking into the future, but have the new plane bug.

Freebird

jlchapman 07-28-2004 12:21 AM

Freebird1,

I dont think anybody has a finished Patriot XL or at least they havent posted here yet. I'm covering mine right now, but still a week or two away from flying it. You can see pictures in the Patriot XL construction thread. Also with the Jett .90 if your using the Tru-Turn 2282B spinner, it doesn't fit the APC props that Dub Jett recommends. You have to order one from Tru-Turn thats modified.

Jerry #67

bob27s 07-28-2004 09:45 AM

Freebird,

If you are looking for a decent value in the Jett engine, order the regular SJ-90L rather than the BSE 90L. It is less expensive than the bar stock engine, but pretty much the same. You may even want to email him to see if Dub has a 90L on the 'hangar sale' list this month ( I have not looked at it myself in a few weeks). When you order the engine, mention it is going in a patriot XL.

The 'next best thing' to the jett 90L would be the OS91fx with a jett-stream muffler installed. But by the time you buy the the muffler, and replace the bearings after running them hard for 50 flights, the savings pretty much evaporates, and you still have less performance.

The current ST-90 is a very nice engine, but it is not heavily pipe timed. Will turn big props nicely and lower rpm, but is not set up for higher rpm operation.

also........ note my post last week about the upcoming price changes......

Jerry.....good info on the spinner. I always seem to run into the same problem too. Tru-turn makes a few spinners cut for 3D props now too.

Bob

Cyclic Hardover 07-28-2004 06:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was using a 12/8 APC on mine. I had it on the larger Cermark F-20 and it was screaming until a flutter and subsequent kaboom. But its sitting in a new Ultra Sport .60 and I am expecting equal if not better performance from the engine in this plane.

Dont get to pysched out on the 90L. It is extremely user friendly and tunes up as easy as any OS. Just make sure you beef up that front end. When you get the engine, as I said the compression is something to feel. I suggest a bench run. Now I do not bench run but I did on this for this simple reason. Torque and compression. I saw one guy give it a first run. He put the starter on it, Cranked it over and engine/front end and all went flipping off!

Somewhere in here I posted once that mine had been shut off for about 15 seconds and it just "started back up". seriously.

Last but not least is the sound of the 90L. I also have the Jett .50 in a smaller F-20 but the souns of the 90L is unlike any other. On the ground it does not give justice as in the air. A simply awsesome sound.

Your money will be well spent.

freebird1 07-28-2004 10:51 PM

Hi

I have bought the JETT .90L. Can not wait till I get the Patriot ready. The Patriot gets the best. I really appreciate the advice. About OS FX, Great engines, but the ST G-51 that I have has smoked the 46 FX or now I think it is the AX. Two of the my club members took an .46 FX out and put the ST G 51 in after I flew. I have a VQ mustang that is running 90 plus with the G-51 ST with a bisson pitts. If the JETT .90L is as good as everyone has stated, I will have a huge sell on Ebay of Super Tiger engines. I have traded for an old Patriot AFf that has a Fox 45 flat head. This plane has retracts and has never been flown. Both are some what rare find. What size will give this Patriot the greats power and permormance of the JETT engines.

Thanks
Freebird

bob27s 07-29-2004 09:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

Somewhere in here I posted once that mine had been shut off for about 15 seconds and it just "started back up". seriously.

I've had that happen onec too. The engine came back to life in the pits about 15-30 seconds after I shut it off.

I have also had my jett 46 start on its own just turning on the glow driver. Someone at the field that day thought I had an autostart button or something. Following that, I started paying a bit more attention to where I was standing and where my hands were when i turned the glow on. I also make sure the engine is not on compression :)

Usually this engine starts just by flipping the engine through a few times, closing the throttle, turning on the glow, and simply flipping it by the spinner back on compression. Fires right up. I like the sound of jaws hitting the ground ... watching how easy the engine is to start. Then when I land and them its a 46.. another gasp. Most guys think its a 61 or something. Sometimes it starts backwards like this, but after a few seconds it 'burps' and starts running the correct direction.

Of note, that SJ-46 installed is in a VQ mustang with a Turbo-jett muffler. I had to slow the plane down......stab visibly flutters/twists. Went pleanty fast with a 10x6 on it, but it was clear the plane was not going to last long...... and I changed to a 12x4 prop to slow it down a bit, and give a bit better scale performance. With the turbo, this turns just over 14K on the ground, and I usually back down a few hundered from there. Unloads up near 15K in the air, but i still tend to fly the plane at half throttle most of the time.... just looks kewl. Very nice combination. 3 years old, and despite the covering coming loose and the plastic breaking up.... it still flys like a pattern ship. And it checks in at 94 db at ground rpm.

freebird1 07-29-2004 11:34 PM

Hi

I got the old Patriot ARF today. Man it is a little faded. How long ago has it been for the ARF limited editions was sold. It has an old (70's)American made Fox .6o on it that has the glow plug slanted. Its about the size of a .40. The man that I traded it to stated that it has a round 2.5 hp. He has never lied to me yet with many dealings. WOW, this plane is the size of a 40, it should scream. Not to stray from the post of ST vs JETT, but I will post some photos of this plane as soon as I get some battery's for my digital camera. I have just fell in love with this little plane. It is my first Patriot. I know you will understand. This plane make my passion for the XL more intense.

Freebird

Bob.R 07-30-2004 11:10 AM

I pulled my 9 year old Jett SJ46 out of mothballs recently, and it is still running strong. If you take reasonable care of the Jett engines and don't overprop them, they are long lasting and easy to use. The Jetts aren't cheap, but they are worth the money to me. I recently ordered a .90 BSE FIRE - now that should be some high speed fun!

jlchapman 07-30-2004 11:22 AM

bobber,

What is the .90 BSE FIRE going in?

Jerry #67

Bob.R 07-31-2004 11:17 AM

Jerry,

I am designing a plane for the engine. It will likely resemble a late seventies pattern plane, but scaled down a bit. Low frontal area, clean shape, and enough fuse side area up front for knife edge and rolling manuevers. I got the engine yesterday, and I'm now waiting on retracts before I lock in the design. I will use the plane for ballistic aerobatics, which I enjoy. I'll also use it as a turbine trainer - retracts and flaps. However, if it flies like I hope, I may not want a turbine. :)

Bob