RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Outlaw suggestions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/2035206-outlaw-suggestions.html)

petec 07-29-2004 01:44 PM

Outlaw suggestions

1 Attachment(s)
I'm to the point of covering on my Outlaw and figured I'd pick everyones brains before I button it up. I built it using medium grade balsa and have a Webra 35 on the nose. I also put a CF tube from wing tip to wing tip and am using a micro servo for throttle. The battery pack rests under the shelf I built for the rudder servo.

Take a look at the pics and let me know what if anything I overlooked or should change. Also, any suggestions for control surface throws would be appreciated.

Pete

evan-RCU 07-29-2004 05:43 PM

RE: Outlaw suggestions

Get a real tuned pipe or make a mousse can pipe. Fair in the engine area a little more by adding blocks to the fire wall. the fire wall is going to produce a lot of drag like you have it. Can yo sharpen the L.E. any? No wing tips? What size prop do you have there? A 8x8 APC is great. throws are a personal choice, 1/4" low rates and 1/2" high rates on elevator or aileron throw(not combined throw) is a good start. up to 45° throw on high rate rudder is good for the flat spins and snaps.

petec 07-29-2004 09:02 PM

The prop is a 9x6 and I do have a tuned pipe but that "Kentucky Mousse Can" that is on there gives some pretty good gains and quiter. I was debating on the wing tips....jury is still out.

I hadn't thought of fairing the firewall....I'll have to do that.

Cactus. 07-30-2004 01:04 PM

8x8?!!!!! shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii etttttttt

i use a 10x4 APC on my Leo 37 and mini pipe, it's fast and can also do slow funfly stuff.
the LE looks fine, tho maybe some better sanding and rounding.
i have my cells right up under the rudder, balances fine.
i'd have wingtips personally.
the carbon tube wasn't required, trust me.
and our firewalls look identical.
it's not a speed ship, it's a funfly that can go mentally fast.

petec 07-31-2004 06:46 AM

I put the CF in in the event I did something rash like put a 46 in the nose. The LE does need a little more work but I figured I'd get some suggestions on what else to do as I was finishing the details.

Aside from aesthetics; other than smoothing out the airflow and getting a few more MPH, why wing tips?

Started blocking and shaping the firewall fairing.

Cactus. 07-31-2004 06:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
heres one reason... i'm doing 140, the Ganster coming the other way about 60. i landed with just the tip missing, he landed with the engine hanging off, my tip in his wing ( only his UC wire stopped the wing being taken out totaly ) and half a tail plane. amazing both planes landed safely really.

the tips aloso help smooth the airflow around the elevons and give better control, also when at high alpha, they stop tip stalling.

have a hunt back a few pages to find the other Outlaw thread i've answered to, you can see all the mods i've made and why.

petec 07-31-2004 08:11 AM

I'll put wing tips on......forgot about tip stalling on deltas.

Thanks for the input....if you get a chance have a Hobgoblin or Abbott ale for me.

chet-RCU 08-08-2004 09:10 AM

Can you tell me where to get either, plans or a kit for the outlaw?

Our club had a nite-fly yesterday, and before dark 2 visitors flew these things!!

Gotta have one!!!

thanks

chet

spadbat 08-08-2004 09:48 AM

I was at the same Nite-Fly as Chet. Got to get one too!

Here is where to order them. http://www.azarr.com/kits.htm

See you at the field later,

Marty

chet-RCU 08-08-2004 10:20 AM

Thanks Marty,

see you later.

chet

petec 09-06-2004 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It took me long enough to get it done, but finally it's covered and I ran a couple tanks of fuel through the engine....now I just need to set the throws on the elevator and ailerons and go fly.

Thanks for the suggestions guys..I did put wingtips on but I didn't fair the engine in as I just wanted to get it done before it got cold this year.....That whole work thing really gets in my way of flying.

Here are a few pics of the little beatie before I re-kit it.

Cactus. 09-07-2004 11:47 AM

perfect, leave it like that, fair the engine, bah.

petec 09-07-2004 02:45 PM

The weather turned bad...I'll have to wait a couple more days to crash...err.....fly it....If I like it I'll have to build the Diamond Dust that I have on the shelf.

Rudeboy 09-07-2004 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: petec

If I like it I'll have to build the Diamond Dust that I have on the shelf.
If you like some speed and generally insane flight performance... the Dust is the ticket...

petec 09-07-2004 07:53 PM

Generally I like to fly.....I love pattern but I now have a Cermark F-20, a World Models Dago Red, the Outlaw and a DD in the box so I guess I'll play with some fast planes too.

Razor-RCU 09-07-2004 07:55 PM

Whip?

petec 09-07-2004 08:21 PM

No whip....want one, but won't pony up the dough. I'll probably make a facsimile of one once I get my CNC foam cutter all worked out. Then glass it and bag it......gotta love composites.