RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   off topic, but ya gotta see this... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/2053778-off-topic-but-ya-gotta-see.html)

bob27s 08-04-2004 12:52 PM

off topic, but ya gotta see this...

Check this out.....

looks from the video to be a combination of pylon racing, aerobatics and croquet :)

appears to require some semi-metallic or composite balls too !

http://www.redbullairrace.com/

Bob

JeffH 08-04-2004 02:03 PM

RE: off topic, but ya gotta see this...

that guy is nuts. did you see how close to the ground he was during a roll? It is about halfway through the video. His wingtip was only about 12-24 inches it looked

Evil Homer 08-04-2004 03:31 PM

Man that is awesome, makes me wonder if that dude had an overdose of stupid pills, gotta be the ultimate faith in machine though!!![>:]

CFII1974 08-04-2004 04:40 PM

Guy has got some Stones!

Rudeboy 08-04-2004 07:43 PM

That guy is neither nuts nor stupid... he's just about the worlds best aerobatic pilot, that's all.
He does this stuff for a living, so he has plenty of practise! I'm sure the maneuvers he does are well calculated, and not just the moves of a crazy old guy slamming the stick around.

Other than that... I agree with the "cohones" comment... this is no job for the faint of heart... :D

MHall 08-08-2004 01:12 PM

Has anybody paused it about half way through and looked closely at just how close to the ground he really was. By the looks of the shadow and the plane he was within 36 to 48 inches off the ground in the roll. I think if somebody asked him, that was a little closer than he would have liked. No matter how good you are that was just a little TOO close. Knife edge 36" off the ground in a full scale is crazy!! [8D]

Cactus. 08-08-2004 04:20 PM

i think he might have gasped after seeing that back!!!
great flying

Flyboy Dave 08-10-2004 06:13 AM

I don't have the balls to do that with a model plane....[sm=stupid.gif]

Dave. [X(]

высшее одно 08-10-2004 07:31 PM

you arent the only one dave

Red B. 08-11-2004 08:41 AM

mahmc1 wrote:

By the looks of the shadow and the plane he was within 36 to 48 inches off the ground in the roll. I think if somebody asked him, that was a little closer than he would have liked. No matter how good you are that was just a little TOO close.
As far as I can se from the video the pilot is Peter Besenyei (from Hungary), a show pilot that has been flying inches over the ground for several hundred hours. IMHO he is one of the most consistent pilots around. I don't know how he does it but he has an uncanny feeling for the aircraft and I doubt that he would agree that he was too low. He knows exactly what he is doing.
As a mere mortal, I stand back in awe.

/Red B.

P.S. As far as I know P.B. was the person who introduced the knife edge spin in full size aerobatics, at about the same time as Hanno Prettner from Austria was doing the same thing with model aircraft. Remember, this was many years before 3D-flying was "invented". D.S.

Gravityisnotmyfriend 08-12-2004 04:06 PM

ORIGINAL: bob27s

appears to require some semi-metallic or composite balls too !

Brass, definitely brass!

Rocket 08-15-2004 05:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
COOL VIDEO

"As far as I can se from the video the pilot is Peter Besenyei (from Hungary), a show pilot that has been flying inches over the ground for several hundred hours."

IF YOU LOOK REAL CLOSE, you will see the plane doing the really low stuff is a ZIVKO EDGE. and the plane doing the other stunts is an EXTRA 300L.

kinda have to be into aerobatics to notice this...

vicman 08-15-2004 08:12 PM

Sombody invite that guy to next years Joe Nall and give Chapman something to watch.

stuntrev 08-19-2004 01:43 PM

RE: off topic, but ya gotta see this... live broadcast from air race!

guys and others,

you better watch out this:

http://player.redbullairrace.com
get more of such action by watching the live-broadcast from budapest (on board cams, too), better be tight in your armchairs.... friday august 20, 1:00 pm EST!

s

MyWay 08-19-2004 03:24 PM

RE: off topic, but ya gotta see this... live broadcast from air race!

Just one gust of bad air and the rest is history.

Crazy4Flight 08-19-2004 04:27 PM

[/quote]

P.S. As far as I know P.B. was the person who introduced the knife edge spin in full size aerobatics, at about the same time as Hanno Prettner from Austria was doing the same thing with model aircraft. Remember, this was many years before 3D-flying was "invented". D.S.
[/quote]

From what I know from Dave McKenzie, who built and flew a Great Lakes, Henry Haige was the first to knife edge spin full scale in competition, he used r/c first to see if it could be done.

Red B. 08-20-2004 02:42 PM

Crazy4Flight wrote:

From what I know from Dave McKenzie, who built and flew a Great Lakes, Henry Haige was the first to knife edge spin full scale in competition, he used r/c first to see if it could be done.
You may be right. I got my information from the following website: [link=http://www.haute-voltige.com/en/fwgp/profiles/pilots/solos/besenyei_peter.htm#]www.haute-voltige.com/en/fwgp/profiles/pilots/solos/besenyei_peter.htm#[/link]

By the way, who is Henry Haige? I must say I have never heard about him.

/Red B.

Cactus. 08-21-2004 05:14 AM

from what i saw it looked great, but my 150 connection couldn't cope so at best i got speach and still shots.

anyone know of somewhere i can download the racing? even the redbull site's highlights are buffered and to much bandwidth for me.[:o]