RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Tgershark & Phantom (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/2126955-tgershark-phantom.html)

freebird1 08-28-2004 08:01 PM

Tgershark & Phantom

Hi alll

I love speed, but I am not what you say the best lander. In the air and take off, I can handle about anything. I have about 15 planes, but love the speed and looks of the jet planes. I have a new Rossi 53 with a long tune pipe. I have been looking at the Global Tiger Shark ARF, and the Lanier Phantom II ARF. I love the looks of the Lanier Phantom, but will she fly fast, well, and land somewhat stable. I am battling with the same question with the Thgershark. The price difference is only $10, so price is not the issue. I need some data before I go crazy over this question. Has anyone seen these birds fly and which is the better jet. I have an old Patriot 40 ARF and a javelin. I love these two and am looking at something that will be in their range of performance or better.

Thanks a million
Freebird

Razor-RCU 08-30-2004 02:04 AM

RE: Tgershark & Phantom

The F-4 will NEVER perform even close to a Patriot! I cannot speak for the F-20 though...

If you want better than "Patriot" performance, get a turbine---

vicman 08-30-2004 07:56 AM

The F-20 is a great flier. Practice a few slow nose high passes and you are ready to land it. If you fly off grass just fly her to the ground and let the grass slow you down.:)

freebird1 08-30-2004 09:34 PM

I will have to say that the Patriot that I have is Sweet;). I hate to even fly her because she is somewhat rare, but the temptation gets the best of me. She is an ARF 40 with a Rossi 45. She lands slow and easy, but in the air the faster the better. She also has a thicker wing than the kits which slows her down a bit. I have beefed up the framing and added some custom decals. I am running a APC 9x8 with the short tune pipe and getting about 100 MPH. I am also building a Patriot XL that will have a Jett 90L. I love the jets and warbirds. I build as the wife and money lets me. I have chosen the F-4 because of the wing area. I will have a Rossi 53 with a long tune pipe in her with an APC 9x7. What do ya think?

Thanks
Freebird

Razor-RCU 08-30-2004 11:52 PM

Tigershark & Phantom

1 Attachment(s)
Freebird- I was just on the Rossi-Patriot thread... Hope it helps a little!

I had the F-4 with a YS-45 piped and not piped, either way my old Patriot with an ASP-46 would smoke the F-4, don't get me wrong I loved the looks and fiberglass fuse etc. but the flat-bottom wing and fat fuse made performance a bust compared to the Patriot-

So in a nutshell if you want "looks" the F-4 fits the bill but if you want performance (and the option of adding retracts without it being a hassle-) go with the F-20

;)

P.S. I just got my RARE Patriot-40 arf RTF with a Webra-50GT this time 9x8 apc, 5%, turning about 16.4-(not the one pictured-) Until I get my Jett-50 overhauled, the Webra is purty strong!

freebird1 08-31-2004 09:30 PM

Thanks Razor-RCU

Have you flown the ARF yet. she is a blast to fly and mine makes me look good on the landing part too. lost speed very fast with no sign of stall. If you really want to show off at the field add some wing whistles ($18). I bought some and my fellow members was so confused when my Patriot came over and it sounded like a real jet. well the F-4 is in the mail. I am going with the 53 Rossi with a long pipe. I hope the retracts will not be as bad as I think they are going to be. Do you have any suggestion before I start to build her.

Razor-RCU 09-01-2004 12:46 AM

I have had an 2 arf's and 2 kit built Patriots... I don't care about whistles but I would like to get my Jett-50 fixed and stuffed in there- ;)

So you are doing retracts in the F-4?

freebird1 09-01-2004 02:08 PM

The retracts are the plan as of now. I know it is going to be a pain. I am planning to use mechanical retracts. What do you think?