RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   WEST 50 V1 / MAGNUM QUESTION (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/2135588-west-50-v1-magnum-question.html)

siclick33 08-31-2004 05:32 PM

WEST 50 V1 / MAGNUM QUESTION

You may have read on the other post aout my Magnum maiden.

I am trying to sort everything for the next go.

Has anyone had the West 50 V1 carb fall off? How do I stop it happening again. It obviuosly was tight as the carb is marked where the bolt grabs it.

How have you got round the miniscule clearance between the fuel tank and the engine? My pressure line kinked and it was a PITA to unkink it.

How do you stop the pipe falling off at the silicon joiner?

Thanks

ossie 08-31-2004 05:52 PM

RE: WEST 50 V1 / MAGNUM QUESTION

Answered you question about the joiner in your other post. As for the carb, its unusal for it to "fall off" if assembled correctly. My advise would be to reassemble applying downward pressure on the oring and retighten the nut. The nut is a little difficult to get to because of the needle valve but if you persevere you'll get there.
Cheers
Ken

SJN 08-31-2004 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My pipe also slid off all the time..... Now I use some rubber RTV sealant between the plastic pipe holder and the pipe. So now its "glued" togeter. Not moving anywhere now. The sealant is easily cut off with a knife if I have to do any maintenance.

The tubes coming out of my tank are very short....this gives just enough clearance so the lines dont kink.

My carb has never fallen off. I did tighten it myself, because I wanted to make sure the o-ring was pressed properly together makin a good seal.

siclick33 08-31-2004 07:13 PM

Thanks for your help.

Can you tell me if there should be a spring washer under the nut that holds the carb on? Every other engine I own does but the West doesn't. If not have you threadlocked the nut or just screwed it on?

Cheers

Rudeboy 08-31-2004 07:21 PM

My carb fell off when I first started the engine. I checked it, and I thought it was tight enough... it wasn't. So just push it down, and retighten it.
Don't overdo it with the wrench though... you could squeeze the carb to pieces if you apply too much force. If it's tight enough it won't move again.

Fuel line clearance... You can grind a couple of small notches in the engine mount so the lines have a little more room. Use a good thickwalled fuel line.

The pipe... There are two ways: one, you retighten the straps on the coupler when the whole thing is still hot from running. The pipe coupler as well as the straps get softer when hot... this why it slips off. So don't cut off the straps completely so you have something to grab with pliers later on.
Second way: put on the straps BEFORE you put the coupler on the pipe and header. Tighten a little until the coupler gets compressed a little. Now put some oil in the coupler and on the pipe, and slip on the coupler. If it goes on easily, remove again, and tighten the strap one or two clicks. Test the fit again. The objective is to get the straps so tight you are only just capable of getting the coupler on when it is well lubricated. After you have put everything together like this leave it for at least half an hour before running it... this way the oil between the coupler and the pipe/header has some time to get squeezed out... you will now have a fit so tight that you will have to cut the straps to get the coupler off again.

Rudeboy 08-31-2004 07:23 PM

Sure enough... I put a spring washer under the pinch bolt nut too... only just remembered it when you mentioned it...

Side note on the fuel lines: give the brass tubes a little bend in the right direction just where they exit the tank stopper... that way your silicon lines won't have such a tight bend in them.