RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Speed SPAD? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/2136367-speed-spad.html)

Mr_Scary 08-31-2004 09:44 PM

Speed SPAD?

Has anyone ever built a SPAD that will do over 100 mph? I have a bunch of coro and a .46FX with tuned pipe and a bunch of APC 9x8 and 9x9's and 5 gallons of 30% nitro. Think I could build a nice thin SPAD wing and thin fuse and get some speed? Maybe some carbon fiber rods in the ailerons and tail surfaces to reduce flex at speed.

Razor-RCU 09-01-2004 12:43 AM

RE: Speed SPAD?

Sounds like a plan-

wildnloose 09-01-2004 10:06 AM

Chriss' ddust spad was clocked at 123mph (don't remember the details-search under spad).

I built a modified dogfighter (.30 sized plane powered by a tt.46) that everyone thinks was doing over 100 flat and level, but I have no verification of it. It mets its demise in a hi speed dive, it would not pull out (all surfaces were fluttering).

I missed that plane. Not only was it fast, but it would turn on a dime, and the roll rate was ridiculous. One of my favorite moves was coming across the deck about 5ft high at full throttle and pulling straight vertical right in front of me. People were amazed how tuff this bird was, sometimes it would pull so hard the engine would die.

Lessons learned: I had a lot of flutter problems, so the new one will have cf rods installed in the control surfaces. Using one servo for each aileron (in the middle for strength). Reduced the size of each aileron. Drilled lightening holes in the fuse. Installed a 3 in spinner on the nose (to move the air around the fuse).

Man, I'm getting excited just writing about it...

Razor-RCU 09-01-2004 11:15 AM

And sealed hinge gaps?

Sounds fun!

Mr_Scary 09-01-2004 12:24 PM

Very cool. Sounds like I might be on the right track then. I was thinking about the CF rods and 2 aileron servos in the middle of the surfaces, which I would make about 3/4 span. I was also thinking about 1" square alum tube for the fuse. I love the large spinner idea! Also, I was thinking that an OS 50SX heli engine with a RPM range up to 20k would kick ass!

Oh, and of course being made of coro, the hinge lines would automatically be sealed. I was looking at the hardware store last night at a 48"x1/2"x1/8" aluminum strip that looks like it should make a good solid spar. Suprising light for the strength it would give.

Mr_Scary 09-01-2004 12:25 PM

Oh, yes, I don't think I am quite ready for a diamond dust type of delta. I was hoping to keep it with a straight or tapered wing and fuse. Might go V tail though.

Flyboy Dave 09-06-2004 11:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

Sounds like a plan-
....Yep !!!....[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]....

....it should go over "the ton" easy. :D

FBD. :D