RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   How fast can I get my RC Nobler to go?> (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/2178094-how-fast-can-i-get-my-rc-nobler-go.html)

Spoiler 09-16-2004 08:49 AM

How fast can I get my RC Nobler to go?>

Must say I am having great fun with my Nobler. Am running an Irvine 53 and about 2% nitro with a 10x7 prop and she is racing around. Am wondering how fast I can get it to fly. So far I am planning to put disk type pylon wheels on, a 9x8.5 pylon prop and an increase in nitro to 5%. Anyone else out there tried to speed up a Nobler? Can the airframe handle it? What else could I do apart from buying a proper pylon racer that is?[8D]

bob27s 09-16-2004 09:29 AM

RE: How fast can I get my RC Nobler to go?>

Spoiler,

You are on the right track. Thats about as much as you can do to get additional speed.

The Nobler was developed from the C/L Nobler. It has a thick wing, and was designed with a bit of built-in-drag to help regulate its speed. The airframe is pretty strong, I would not be too concerned about that.

You can get some additional speed from it with a prop change, perhaps adding a tuned muffler or pipe, and by reducing drag where it is apparent (such as the wheels). The additional nitro can never hurt, but would not provide a significant change in power.

The Irvine 53 is a pretty good engine. What props do you have easy access to? A standard blade 9x8 or 9x8.5 pylon prop would probably be a good choice to start with. If you add a tuned exhaust, try the APC standard blade 9x9.

BTW...... I was down in Cape Town last January. Drove around quite a bit, did the tourist things too. Very nice piece of the world :)

Bob

Spoiler 09-17-2004 04:30 AM

Hi Bob - Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay in the "mother city" .We're heading into summer here now altho this weekend promises a bit of snow on the mountains!
Wing thickness is all relative I suppose. Compared to my Twist and Uproar, it has a thin wing! I'd have to change the engine mounting to sideways to fit a pipe so I may well leave it at fuel, wheel and prop changes and build a prop jet! Are their any agents for Jett engines in SA BTW?

Regards

Tim Price

bob27s 09-17-2004 07:51 AM

Hi Tim...

Agents....... not really. But buying one is only an email away. Dub ships all around the world
(we have an order going to johannasburg this afternoon)

The Twist and Uproar have very thick wings to make sure they are slow yet high lift..... fun-fly planes.
I'm sure you can get that Nobler to move without a lot of work.

I did enjoy the stay down there. We went to Ratang Junction one day about two weeks after christmas...... beautiful out, about 30degC. I figured the place would be packed. I think we were one of about 100 families in the entire park. We actually stayed down in Newlands down the road from the rugby field.

Does table mountain ever get snow ?? Or just the more inland mountains ?

vicman 09-17-2004 08:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you like the classic lines and want to zip along this one may interest you. It sports a twin shear webbed spar and mostly spruce stringers on the fuse. The elevator needed to be strengthend since it snapped in the center, I fixed it with ply and carbon fiber. The .25 FX is about broke in now and I am going to play with props now. Currently running a 8x6, my thoughts are to go to 7x8. Any suggestions? It is going around 80 in flat level flight now.

bob27s 09-17-2004 08:19 AM

Looks like a Brown B-2..... nice :)

Spoiler 09-17-2004 09:36 AM

Hi Bob

Good to know. I may be emailing you guys some time...

Last winter we had a dusting of snow on Table Mountain and Devil's Peak. This winter has been much warmer and drier with barely any snow anywhere!

Tim

vicman 09-17-2004 10:13 AM

Yep, built from MA plans circa 1981. It was designed to be competitive with the .40size quickies of the day. The designer commented while not winning much it did beat quite a few in the feild, just like the full scale.
For a .25 I think it moves pretty good, like I mentioned before I am now ready to start running out the motor as it is broken-in and I have gotten comfy flying it.[sm=bananahead.gif]

Razor-RCU 09-17-2004 11:01 AM

Spoiler- I always ran my Irvine-53 with the Tower muffler (same size that fits the 46FX) and it usually gives an extra 500-1M RPM's ;)

When you order that Jett-50 go ahead and order a Viper or Predator- then you will be set