RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/2186098-akm-su-27-flanker-does-look-good.html)

Joe Ortiz 01-10-2005 02:47 PM

RE: AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

Home Depot and Lowes has the minwax.
Joe

hattend 01-10-2005 02:53 PM

Thanks, Joe

Don

AirGar 01-10-2005 02:54 PM

Any of ya'll use Z-Poxy? I've used that for quite a few years, and am wondering how it compares to the Min-Wax.

Snoop, is the Deft sealer you used lacquer based?

daven 01-10-2005 04:39 PM

Z-Poxy is fine. The MinWax works good, but is not quite as hard as epoxy. Much easier to apply, just doesn't stick as well around corners in my opinion.

Cyclic Hardover 01-10-2005 06:27 PM

Yeh its a laquer and boy does it fume up a room. I will try and send you the link I am using on your email here shortly. So far its going on okay. With the design of this thing, sure it's probably not as strong as other methods but should give me a nice finish. I am going to monokote the wings. I think you could relate it all to glassing a foam sheeted wing. The strength is already their and could be flown naked!!!??

ORIGINAL: AirGar

Any of ya'll use Z-Poxy? I've used that for quite a few years, and am wondering how it compares to the Min-Wax.

Snoop, is the Deft sealer you used lacquer based?

AirGar 01-10-2005 07:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Snoop Doggy Bag

The strength is already their and could be flown naked!!!??

No Snoop....really........leave your clothes on when you fly it.... ;) :D

Be careful when you use Lacquer based products inside. If you have an attic furnace (or any other pilot), you could end up with a convertible house. [X(] Hmmmm, that'd be one way to launch it for the maiden! :D

Joe Ortiz 01-10-2005 07:51 PM

How does one join Team Revver?
Go to the thread, Speed Freaks Wanted, and request to be a member.
Joe

Cyclic Hardover 01-10-2005 09:11 PM

The Deft comes in liquid quarts or spray on. I elected the spray and did it outside . I left it their for a couple hours and brought it in but it was still pretty stinky and went away after a day. I am doing the bottom right now and on a beer break. Never glassing before, other than wing joints, I am off to a good start here. How are those "Jag's" coming

So far I am sticking with the complete Russian thing. I am going to have the same Charcoal color as the F20 I stuffed last summer. Big red stars on the back fins. The wings will be lighter for obvious reasons and white underneath. Should be a looker I hope

This has turned into a good thread on the entire building process from many people. "lear" who stuffed his believes the metal tube had something to do with it. I am not sure but its possible so I am going to use a dowel. The width of the wings I do not believe are a structural concern with it.

I know I have said many positive things here on the plane but to be honest , at times has been a real pain but what kits haven't. I have tried talking with Alex to change a few things but i doubt he does so that is why were here. Later.

ORIGINAL: AirGar

The strength is already their and could be flown naked!!!??

No Snoop....really........leave your clothes on when you fly it.... ;) :D

Be careful when you use Lacquer based products inside. If you have an attic furnace (or any other pilot), you could end up with a convertible house. [X(] Hmmmm, that'd be one way to launch it for the maiden! :D

AirGar 01-10-2005 09:19 PM

We havin' FUN yet?? :D :D

The Jag is going to have to wait until next summer. I have 3 planes ahead of it. Man, wish I was retired.... ;)

Gary

Razor-RCU 01-11-2005 12:01 AM

I use Z-Poxy usually.... The only other thing I have used is just epoxy with rubbing alcohol added to thin it out--- I do small projects like fillets or wing centers though, so I don't get really strict about sqee-geeing the surface of an entire wing with a credit card! [X(]

Sure wish someone would do a review and/or video of this Rusky!

hattend 01-11-2005 01:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

Sure wish someone would do a review and/or video of this Rusky!
Isn't that what this thread is all about? ;)

Don

AirGar 01-11-2005 01:44 PM

Yo, James.....

http://akmodels.bizland.com/su27.htm

bob27s 01-11-2005 02:10 PM

http://ak-models.com/

Cyclic Hardover 01-11-2005 02:33 PM

I gotmy at Lowes but I think Home Depot should have it and possibly walmart----BUT it is in a blue can and called "Polycrylic-waterbase"

Here is the link to the guy who built is and references I use. www.renderwurx.com/rc/SBD/html/paint.htm

Mike

ORIGINAL: hattend

Snoop,

Where does one get the Minwax stuff? Home Depot? I live in the middle of nowhere so I can't just "go shopping" That's why I ask. I won't waste time going to the wrong places when I go to town. I've alway used Epoxy for glassing and I'll try anything else once...especially if it's as user friendly as you say.

Don

Well the Glassing has started. I have the top on with a couple of coats and the bottom is next. This Minwax Waterbased Polycrylic stuff is great. No sticky fingers, Doesn't stink up the room or house. Clean the brush with soap and water and drys in an hour, Sandable in 2-3 instead of a couple days.

Now the Deft Sanding sealer is a different story that went on first. That is nasty stuff. Need to do that outside or someplace.

Cyclic Hardover 01-12-2005 09:37 PM

Well I let the "expletives" fly today!. Now the fueslage is all glassed up, not done yet but the glass is on with no problems. Prior to the glassing I applied Deft Sanding sealer so that the moister from the resin would not warp the wood. All worked fine over the last few days.
Today, i have a couple fins that go under the plane. I glassed up each one on one side. About an hour later I went to check on them to do the other side and they were curled up worse than an old toenail. Stupid here forgot to apply the sanding sealer. I had to run it all under hot water and then stuck a brick on it to straighten it out. So its true, if you dont apply the sealer it will curl.

AirGar 01-12-2005 10:00 PM

Snoop,

Post some pics..... don't git discouraged! :) Sounds like you have a handle on itt.....

Cyclic Hardover 01-12-2005 10:32 PM

Go back to pg 2, post # 44. It does not look any different now than it does their, Just clear glassing all over it

smooth6x6 01-13-2005 04:15 AM

Can anybody please give me some sites wher i can purchase a su-27 kits or arf's thanku[:o]

Cyclic Hardover 01-13-2005 09:20 AM

Something is wrong with his website but he does sell them on Ebay, Just enter the name of the plane and you'll find it. His email is/was

[email protected]

AirGar 01-13-2005 10:41 AM

ORIGINAL: smooth6x6

Can anybody please give me some sites wher i can purchase a su-27 kits or arf's thanku[:o]
http://akmodels.bizland.com/

bob27s 01-13-2005 03:45 PM

Looks like Alex is reworking the website - maybe moving the domain.

try this for now

[email protected]

Rudeboy 01-13-2005 05:02 PM

I could enter the website today... so it isn't "gone"...

I received my kit today. Very nice looking stuff. At the price he sells them I think it is a bargain.

The laser cutting is generally of awesome quality. Alex could work a little on his wood selection though: some sheets are hard as a brick, while others are very soft. You wouldn't want stuff like that happening on your wings, because it would have a negatice effect on the balancing. It also means that some parts aren't completely cut full depth, but nothing dramatic so far.

It looks like this is going to be an easy build, because of the perfect parts.

A word of advioce to the people looking into this kit: carefully sand the charred edges on the plywood parts. CA doesn't like that, and it's even worse on epoxy joints. It is not very important on soft balsa (very little carbon), but hardwood and plywood get charred pretty bad, so you need to remove that.

The center of gravity looks a little odd... maybe it has to do with the "lifting body"... or maybe it's just because of the position of the main gears...
The plane "looks" nose heavy to me when I look at the plans.
I guess I'll leave the test flying up to Snoop... :D And then see what he has to say about it.

Cyclic Hardover 01-13-2005 06:59 PM

I dont know what is going to happen with the CG on this one. I'll just have to wait until its all in their. Its a long front end but the entire flightpack, battery and the whole sheebang is in the back of the plane with only the fuel tank and engine up front. I am putting in the largest tank I can get in their, will be at least a 16oz or higher. Right now I am looking at June for this thing to fly. Will be starting a new job in a few weeks and may loose some free time.

Rudeboy, I know you have been keeping track of this thread but there were some very key areas mentioned here on the plane. Triple check and ask qeustins before you glue. If you screw up those wing tube mounts made from tape, I can get plenty for you for virtually the cost of a postage stamp. All you need to do is ask. Mike

Blade47 01-13-2005 09:53 PM

Snoop ..after completing the MIG29 which is dang near the same build as the Su ( all battery, radio gear in the back end and with just the Evo Motor 28oz , fuel tank and dual flutts nose near up front) it came out to almost the C/G called for at 4" from the LE of the wing.

So even if it looks to be tail heavy ( the SU) I think we will find it will be (close) to what Alex has on the plan.

Pete

THEGRINCMAN 01-13-2005 10:58 PM

I had my SU-27 built by a local club, I balanced it at what the plans call for , and it took a harry higley heavy hub to balance it out. I got to say , I wonder if it will be tipsy side to side. It dont feel solid on its feet. The weight come in at 8 1/4 lbs. I hope to see some test flights before I try mine.