RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/2186098-akm-su-27-flanker-does-look-good.html)

Cyclic Hardover 09-19-2004 03:33 PM

AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

You know, I've been putting in the effort looking for a decent sport scale propjet. Lack of Arfs will send you into the kits. The mere thought of a kit does not appeal to me. Not due to a lack of talent but just don't feel like it.

I was looking at the AKM SU-27 on their webpage, Looked good but again do not feel like doing a kit. So for the heck of it, I downloaded the assembly manual. Just looking at this with the laser cut parts and all sold me. I read somewhere that it took somebody 8 months to build it. Looks to me more like 8 days. Not really but looks like a no brainer here.

With a set of retracts and a healthy Jett .90 up front. Could be a mover.

Rudeboy 09-19-2004 04:43 PM

RE: AKM SU-27 Flanker-Does Look Good

I have been lurking at that plane for about a year... I don't think a month has passed without me visiting their site to take a look at the pics...

What I am still waiting for is for someone to report on the building and flying (preferably with a Jett 90L)...
I don't mind kits, and it looks like AK knows his stuff. As a matter of fact I prefer kits over ARF's. ARF's generally suck (or I am too critical), unless you get into the 1000+$ range.

Too many projects as it is... my winter is already booked... ah, well, maybe next year...

Cyclic Hardover 09-19-2004 05:50 PM

I think I am going to go for it. I need this like a hole in the head but I'll stretch it out through the winter. If you haven't seen the assembly manual, download it and take a peak. That convinced me more than the plane.
I have two propjets. One with the Jett .50 and the other with the Jett 90L.
Dimensions look similar to the Cermark F-20. Looking at those laser cut pieces and plans tells me this is on the list of R/C's best kept secrets. You look at the plane and think it's going to be a pain but from what i saw, I don't think so.

At $124.00 for the kit, Just buy it and stick in the attic

bob27s 09-20-2004 08:22 AM

I've been looking at that kit too.......... I even printed out their manual from the web site.

But lately I cant seem to even get my ARF's built in less than 2 months!!! ARGGGGGGGGGG

I thought the Jett 90L with the turbojett muffler might make a good package on the aft end. Maybe easier to configure than the longer pipe or muffler.

vicman 09-20-2004 09:17 AM

Both of you guys my try going at it from plans it isn't as bad as it sounds. ;) I have a set of DC F-20 plans and have the cores for the wing burned out to try it out of foam. CH just buy the dang patriot and go to work already!:)

bob27s 09-20-2004 10:16 AM

I have a DC F-20 kit sitting in the corner too. I just need to be laid off again or something.......... (wait...... I take that back!)

Flyboy Dave 09-20-2004 10:02 PM

I bought one of those and threw it in the pile when they first came out.
The kit comes with a CD-Rom that follows along with the instruction
manual....you can zoom in on each picture, and see in the best detail
how each piece goes. :D

FBD.

EDIT:
Oops !!! I was thinking of the Mig-29. :eek: (that's what I get for thinking [sm=stupid.gif] )

Cyclic Hardover 09-20-2004 10:10 PM

Well I went for it. Called him up. His name is Alex and he hails from Russia so gofigure on the Migs eh? He has othe rplanes in the design area and hopefully on the market within a year. The next one should be an F-16 prop jet. He told me his Flanker weighs in at a hair over 8lbs.

This suits me fine. That UltraSport I 'm now flying with the Jett .90 weighs 9 1/4 so it should be at least equally impressive but probably better. So this will be my winter project. I was telling him that i feel the Sport Scale Prop choices are not like they use to be and this may be a way to revive it.

vicman 09-21-2004 06:33 AM

You also may try Angel and his Rifle. Not a bad looker for 150 bucks. I think that is arc?

Razor-RCU 09-21-2004 10:31 AM

Yup the Rifle is ARC, I would say ask Airgar but since he bought a bike, he has disappeared!

Hey Angel, anything new?

James

AirGar 09-21-2004 03:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

Yup the Rifle is ARC, I would say ask Airgar but since he bought a bike, he has disappeared!

James
Disappeared? Who? Moi? ;)

Yes, it's true....I have been a little pre-occupied with another new "toy", but I do still "lurk" now and then. :D

It's funny, I was just in my hobby room this morning thinking I really need to git off my keyster and git flyin' again! That Rifle has been sitting in the same place for over 4 months, just gathering dust. I just recently charged/cycled all my gear so now I need to git started. It's tough when you have such nice riding weather like we do in Calif.

Good choice in kits, Cyclic, that plane looks fast sittin' still! Look forward to hearing your step by step opinions!

And yea, what a perfect candidate for the Jett 90!

One more thing.....I DO know, I'll have the Rifle finished BEFORE ol' FBD finishes his Mig! ;) LOL

Gary

vicman 09-21-2004 04:17 PM

Hi Gar. I was wonderin if you would pipe in.:D Good to hear from you. I am looking forward to your report on the Rifle.

Cyclic Hardover 09-21-2004 05:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yu recall the stuffing of my F-20 a couple months ago. Well what was left went into this Ultra Sport that I got from a firned and rebuilt. What a mover. If yo have ever considered the Flanker, download the manual and that alone will seal the deal

ORIGINAL: AirGar

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

James
Disappeared? Who? Moi? ;)

Yes, it's true....I have been a little pre-occupied with another new "toy", but I do still "lurk" now and then. :D

It's funny, I was just in my hobby room this morning thinking I really need to git off my keyster and git flyin' again! That Rifle has been sitting in the same place for over 4 months, just gathering dust. I just recently charged/cycled all my gear so now I need to git started. It's tough when you have such nice riding weather like we do in Calif.

Good choice in kits, Cyclic, that plane looks fast sittin' still! Look forward to hearing your step by step opinions!

And yea, what a perfect candidate for the Jett 90!

One more thing.....I DO know, I'll have the Rifle finished BEFORE ol' FBD finishes his Mig! ;) LOL

Gary

Cyclic Hardover 09-21-2004 05:31 PM

So whats a Rifle? I missed that one. Where is it hiding

AirGar 09-21-2004 06:54 PM

Yep, I do recall you stuffin' in the F-20....BUT, them Ultrasports fly almost as nice, eh? I loved the way mine flew, and I only had a Magnum 75 up front.

The "Rifle" is going to be a lot like the Magnum....., I'll snap a couple pics in a few, and post them here for ya.

Gary

Razor-RCU 09-21-2004 07:04 PM

Gary how-goes-it?

Lemme know when the weather is good at El Mirage-

AirGar 09-21-2004 07:05 PM

Wow, I actually remembered how to use my camera.....

AirGar 09-21-2004 07:12 PM

Wow, guess it has been a while, I can't get the pics to load. Getting a msg. "error saving file to disk" when I try to "upload".

Will check the files/ext. and try again. Has anything changed with regard to uploading?

Gary

AirGar 09-21-2004 07:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hope this works....used Mozilla Firefox...

Netscape didn't work, don't have IE, and Netcaptor didn't work :eek:

Gary

Hey James, wassup Buddy? We're just starting to see the Santa Ana's here. Other than the winds you'd have to deal with, weather at the lake bed should be fine. Wear a chin strap on your hat, however.... LOL

Flyboy Dave 09-21-2004 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Whoa....Gary....that Rifle looks like a dead-nut ringer for this K&B
Quickie 500 motor....see how the pipe tilts upwards in the rear. ?

Need some wheels on that puppy. :eek:

FBD. :)

Razor-RCU 09-21-2004 08:09 PM

Looks good- Dave has his hot-rod, you have your bike, all I have are horses to feed so I keep on flying all year 'round! [X(] While wifey messes with the horses---

You know my airplanes do NOT need fuel when they are not being used- ;)

I got a couple more Patriots and a Fried Jett-50 I got taken on in the marketplace-

Cyclic Hardover 09-21-2004 09:55 PM

That looks nice. Who sells those? Is it a belly lander?

vicman 09-21-2004 09:56 PM

How bad did you get hurt on the motor you keep whining about and how much do you want for it?

Razor-RCU 09-21-2004 11:07 PM

- < There is the line Vicman and here you are> (Vicman)

You crossed it! I don't whine, I complain in a girly voice- big difference...

I got it handled- Not for sale:)

AirGar 09-21-2004 11:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

That looks nice. Who sells those? Is it a belly lander?
Landing gear is optional. I already bought the gear and F3D wheels as I don't want to belly land it.

Do a search for "Angelrcdesign", he's the one that produces them. I paid $150 shipped, with fuel tank and some hardware. The only flaw I've had was, the grain on the vertical stab was going "vertical"....a No-No in my book. That's where I had stopped, as I needed to buy more balsa to build a new one. Other than that, a very well built speedster that should keep up with my Magnum!

Looking forward to the maiden....stay tuned boys......

Hey FBD, the "Rifle" is the plane. The motor I have sitting up front is the Jett 50. What'ja gonna do wit dat K&B? Huh? C'mon....you can tell us, we can keep a secret.... :D

Gary