RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Outlaw Build Questions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/2321569-outlaw-build-questions.html)

robert92679 11-06-2004 02:51 AM

Outlaw Build Questions

After all the photos of Outlaws in recent posts, I have the wild idea to put one together. I picked up the plans from ecubedrc (they don't offer the short kits any longer), and I'm making a list of things I'll need. What all have you used successfully in your Outlaws?

I think a Jett BSE 35 will look pretty nice up front, but I was wondering what servos you have used. I was considering some Hitec 525s or 605s on the control surfaces, and a micro servo on the throttle. The radio compartment looks pretty cramped, so I was thinking a Hitec 555 RX.

Does anyone have a bill-of-materials (BOM) for the wood? This will be my first plans built plane, though I've put together several kits. I picked up a new scroll saw this evening (Delta 16" variable speed on sale for $69 at Lowe's:D), so I'm ready to start cutting the parts.

Any other suggestions? There is an excellent build thread on the plane here on RCU, so I'll be looking that over. I'm also looking for any other advice (as to building or flying) you'd like to share.

Thank you,

Robert
Revver's Brother #76

petec 11-06-2004 09:22 PM

RE: Outlaw Build Questions

I actually used a wing jig to build mine. It came out nice and straight, but the tip ribs were a PIA sinc they would only fit on one of the rods. I actually beefed mine up but in retrospect the design is PLENTY strong so do yourself a favor and build it to the plans with the wood that is specified.

As for servos I have a HiTec HS-81 on throttle and JR 517s on the surfaces and a Futaba 127 receiver in it and you're right...the radio compartment is cramped....I'm switching to a HiTec 555.

It's a quick build even if you have to scratch it out. I scratched out a Lazy Ace bipe and it only took me a week to cut all the parts for that big bipe and that was after work when I had time.

evan-RCU 11-07-2004 10:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've built "many" of these, use good servos on the elevons, coreless at least. you want good centering on high speed planes. A standard BB servos good for rudder and a mini is good for throttle. I have had 555's in all of them. Build it per plans the first time to decide what you want to do on the second, third, etc... The Outlaw is a fantastic airplane, speedy but no the fastest and very quick and agile, great spins, fantastic roll rate and flys great slow. The biggest thing to think about in choosing an engine is not the power output but how it will fit and to make sure there's nothing like needle valves hanging down to get damaged on landing. On mine I have OS.32SX's and cut off the high speed remote needle and mount it on top. We have one here that the guy, Guido, has a MVVS Q500 motor on and because of the high and low speed needles sticking out from each side of the carb he has it mounted almost upright, it works but takes away from the aerodynamics. What I said about the power NOT being the most important thing is comparing our two airplanes, he has double the power of mine and isn't any faster. Slick aerodynamics get you speed.

Rocketman612 11-09-2004 04:10 PM

ORIGINAL: robert92679

After all the photos of Outlaws in recent posts, I have the wild idea to put one together. I picked up the plans from ecubedrc (they don't offer the short kits any longer), and I'm making a list of things I'll need. What all have you used successfully in your Outlaws?

I think a Jett BSE 35 will look pretty nice up front, but I was wondering what servos you have used. I was considering some Hitec 525s or 605s on the control surfaces, and a micro servo on the throttle. The radio compartment looks pretty cramped, so I was thinking a Hitec 555 RX.

Does anyone have a bill-of-materials (BOM) for the wood? This will be my first plans built plane, though I've put together several kits. I picked up a new scroll saw this evening (Delta 16" variable speed on sale for $69 at Lowe's:D), so I'm ready to start cutting the parts.

Any other suggestions? There is an excellent build thread on the plane here on RCU, so I'll be looking that over. I'm also looking for any other advice (as to building or flying) you'd like to share.

Thank you,

Robert
Revver's Brother #76
Robert,
Here is the link to my Outlaw building thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_24.../tm.htm#247421

My second Outlaw is still going strong after a year with some minor mishaps. The design is stronger than you think. I'm using Hitec 645's on the elevons and rudder with an 81 on throttle.

The plane was designed with the Webra 32 in mind. Mine flys great with an APC 9x7 prop. Holding the vertical stab at alittle more than 1/2 throttle it floats away with an easy toss. An OS 32 can work if you change out the carb with the heli version to get the needle valve on the correct side or you can cut it off and have it hanging free.

Good luck and enjoy, Pete