RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   patriot xl (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/2337372-patriot-xl.html)

xplayer930 11-11-2004 10:49 PM

patriot xl

Well i wanna get a speed plane, and since a turbine powerd model is well out of the question i hav econsiderd gettin the patriot xl. iv never had a speed plane before. How hard are they to handel?? Iv been building for 10 years and flying for about 4.

bob27s 11-11-2004 11:16 PM

RE: patriot xl

Hi there X....

first off.... I'm a native Islander. Born and raised in Melville :) Flew with the LIFTS for 15 years before moving away.

Second....... The XL flies like any decent pattern ship. No bad habits at all. Just build it per plans, and try to keep it light. Inboard flaps reportedly work fairly well to help on landing approaches (more for drag than for lift).

The only thing negative I have heard is that the main landing gear may be a bit too far back. May have been intentional in the design... not sure....but the plane take a lot of ground speed before it rotates for takeoff.

Flys just fine on an OS91FX, APS91, and the TT91 will probably be good too. I have a handful of guys building them with the Jett SJ-90L or BSE-90L up front. Although I have not had feedback on any airworthy yet.

There is a nice build thread on the XL in here. Look back a week or two. Thread slowed down for a bit, but there are good photos and info in there.

Reports I have is that the plane is fairly quick, but no air data or radar varification of speeds yet.

Another option........ look up AngelDesigns on here (look on recent posts). He is over in NJ (If I have not forgotten). He has a couple of speed aircraft he can provide built (ARFish). Nice designs, and well behaved.

I hope this is helpful

Bob

Razor-RCU 11-12-2004 12:07 AM

Yup- Angel is a stand-up guy and he custom builds a plane called "Rifle", Airgar has one maybe he will chime in...

I have had 4 40 sized Patriots but never seen the XL-

Take Bob's word as gospel at all times and you will be fine-;)

dsiems 11-12-2004 08:18 PM

Bob,
You are right as far as the main gear being to far back. I have a Patriot XL with a OS 61 FX and a Mac pipe, 8.5 lbs. It flys quite well as long as you can get it off the ground. And when it does come off the ground, be ready!!!! It Leaps off the ground!!!! But once off the ground the plane is a dream to fly. I know I do not have a power house of an engine on it but it does about 130 mph. I did not build the XL with the inboard flaps. I oped for Flaprons. I only have 9 flights on the plane right now, but I will start experimenting on the flaprons this weekend for takeoffs. Thanks for your response to xplayer, I thought it was my flying is why I could not get the plane in the air in a clean way.
Dean

AirGar 11-12-2004 09:47 PM

I'd have to go with the- Patriot XL for a first "speed" plane due to it's size. The Magnums, Rifle are small (30 size) and can get out of your sight real quick, and would also be a heckuva lot faster than the 90 size Patriot. Now, I'm not quite done with the "Rifle" so I haven't flown it yet, however, it IS very similiar to the Magnum in size and weight. Even with a sport 40-46 motor, you had better be on your toes...especially if you had a flame out, as these glide like bricks.

Any "sport 91" motor and at least you'd get a taste of some speed in the XL, more if you splurged on the Jett 90L.

I'd start there. Besides, if you did decide it wasn't fast enuff, I know a guy name Razor who buys very used, hardly used, and yes...even new Patriot's! :D He's sick I tell ya. ;)

Gary

xplayer930 11-12-2004 11:37 PM

what modifications do u guys do to ur patriots to lighten them up or make them stronger in high stress area's.

Razor-RCU 11-13-2004 04:22 PM

huh... patriot for sale?.... which way did he go....need........more......... patriots-----

There is another pretty good thread about the Cermark F-16 prop-jet... That sounds like a good first speed plane since it handles like a pattern plane apparently!

james

paulrcpilot-RCU 11-13-2004 06:19 PM

I finished my Xl about two months ago and flew it about 5 times berofe building seacon hit here in South Dakota. A faily easy bulid I have Spring Air retracts and a Jet 90 in it. Its fast enough but no screamer. The first take off was really long I thought it would never rotate. Part way through the flight we heard FLUTTER after a quick landing we found the rudder was not tight, Disconnected the pushrod, taped the rudder in place no more flutter. Watch the rudder linkage! Next take off with partial flaps was great much shorter. Oh by the way mine came in at 9.3 lbs, it took quite a bit of weight in the tail to balance. Over all a nice flying airplane.

dsiems 11-14-2004 07:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have also noticed the rudder linkage is not that tight. I will keep my eye on it.