RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Patriot XL or King Kobra (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/2352891-patriot-xl-king-kobra.html)

kqutob 11-17-2004 03:10 PM

Patriot XL or King Kobra

Just finished a TF Contender and looking for a new winter project . Need some help deciding between the GP Patriot XL or the Sig King Kobra. Appreciate some advice on ease of build and flying characteristics.

Radcom 11-17-2004 10:00 PM

RE: Patriot XL or King Kobra

From what I read at RCU ,both planes are excellant.
Lots of post to investigate...
As for myself I'm going to buy both of them.
Add them to my Dago Red...[sm=thumbup.gif]

Cobra1 11-19-2004 12:58 PM

I had a King Kobra with a YS 60, tuned pipe ans Spring Air retracts. With a 11x10 prop it was plenty fast. I like the airfoiled tail surfaces also. I am sure the XL with its thin wings will go faster but you cannot beat the aerobatic potential of the Kobra.

dsiems 11-19-2004 07:27 PM

I have a Patriot XL and have put a dozen flights on it. It have an OS 61 FX with a Mac pipe, and B&D retracts. It is a very fast aircraft. The only bad thing I have found about the Patriot XL is that the main landing is designed to far back. It take a tremendous amount of speed (a lot of runway) to get it into the air. But once in the air, it's a dream to fly and will do about anything you want it to do. I have never flown a King Cobra, so I do not how they fly. Happy flying!!

Cyclic Hardover 11-20-2004 10:15 AM

You know not to bad mouth the Patriot because I don't own it but have seen them fly and they are nice but with the right combination on the Kobra, you will have one sweet plane.

Jett.50
9/7apc
Retracts

argh argh argh argh!

"Tim Taylor-Tool Time"

RexR 11-21-2004 08:42 AM

I have yet to build or fly the Patriot XL or the King Kobra but have heard good things about both, but becaue of all the hype I've heard about the Patriot XL it will be the next plane I build/fly, then I'll move on to the KK.

If you could let me know how your bulid went. I'll keep you in reference if I run into trouble building my Patrot. :D

"Going as fast as hell and loving every minute of it!"
RexR

Crazy4Flight 11-21-2004 10:35 AM

no expierence building either kit...
but past exp says a SIG kit will be a better build than GP

kqutob 11-21-2004 02:09 PM

Thanks guys , I went ahead and ordered the XL .They both fly great but definitly the kit design and build quality of the Patriot is simpler and more modern than the KK which has been around for ages. Still I'm not giving up on the K Kobra it will be one of my next year projects.

RexR 11-21-2004 11:24 PM

AWESOME!!

Good luck!! and keep us posted!

Going Fast As Hell And Loving Every Minute Of It!

Rex

freebird1 11-22-2004 12:25 AM

I am currently building a XL with a Jett L90. From what I have read about the plane (Patriot XL) is like the GP f-15 I had. I CG it to spec and it took forever to take off and landed like a rock. I moved the CG back and the more the better the F-15 got. The f 15 CGed way back was awesome. It sounds to me a CG error ratherthan a design one. Got to get the nose up. My first question has anyone moved the CG back. It will not be long before my XL takes flight and sure would like to know.:eek:

Feebird

bob27s 11-22-2004 11:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think the CG is just noted on the plans in a very 'conservative' location to prevent some less experienced pilots from taking off with too little airspeed.... and to keep the handling qualities always on the very-positive side. I seem to recall that after the first handful of flights I had the smaller patriot set up with the CG well aft of what was shown on the plans/manual.

Dadamisin's post on his test flight in the Patriot XL thread mentions the CG and gear location.

I thought I'd post this. Beautiful version of a King Kobra with a SJ-90L up front. Original builder and owner recently sold it on e--bay, but they had provided me with the photos for the Jett Hall of Fame gallery. Posted as an example of how pretty a King Kobra can be :)

I've had two king kobras over the years. One with retracts, the other fixed gear. Both flew very well... just like pattern aircraft. Excellent for all around sport use, and fairly fast too with the gear up and a 61FSR in the nose :)

CadFlyer 12-12-2004 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a King Kobra with a YS-.61 (2C), 11x7 Prop, Pipe and B&D retracts. It the fastest and all around best flying speed plane I have ever flown. My opinion is that it is easier to handle than the Patriot. The Kobra is a little more forgiving (reaction time) than the Patriot. Mine takes off and lands with minal runway and tracks like its on rails. However, next Spring I will begin building the NEW Patriot XL and I will be putting retracts and a Rossi .61 with pipe on it. I would not take anything for my Kobra, it is an awesome plane.
Cadflyer

Pavan 12-30-2004 10:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my King Kobra. It comes armed with a

Rossi 61 with Tuned pipe.
11 X 8 APC Prop
Fixed Landing Gear
Futaba T6XA
1000 Mah on board battery
9202 on Rudder and Elevator and Ailerons
3004 on Accelerator