RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   i'm rtf my vortec, any tips...... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/279279-im-rtf-my-vortec-any-tips.html)

ishu4u 09-23-2002 12:04 AM

i'm rtf my vortec, any tips......

have the arf vortec rtf with st 90 on it. 605 and 615 hitec servos and sealed hinge lines. turned the gear legs outward on mains,and balance is per instructions. any setup tips on throws both high and low settings. how much elevator will i need to flair on landings yet still fly without alot of twitchness...?? flying soon so get me a few saving tips.. this is to be my turbine trainer plane so i can get a waiver for the super reaper i have waiting next.

thanks in advance

jlong34016 09-24-2002 03:28 PM

vortex

I have a vortex on the way. Have had a ys140 dz laying around with nothing to put it in. The web site says it will take the 120fz so this shouldnt be too heavy. will turn a 15 pitch prop 10,000 so it should be pretty fast. i like the idea of wheels too. I had a 140L on a roo and it was awesome in level flight but at 15 pounds it was a dog wrt vertical.

jlong34016 09-29-2002 03:53 AM

Its here

Got my vortex. Great package. Plane is very nice and goes together in a couple hours. Instructions caution against going over .90 despite Cermark selling it with a ys120. Has anyone put a big engine on this plane. I have a ys140 dz with a 13X14 pattern prop turning 9600. Should be quick off the line and very fast in the air and accelerate vertically. Set it up with duel rudders that act at speed brake at landing. Not neccessary with this engine and prop but should be fun to play with.Any idea what torque servos needed for the rudders? I have a pair of 9101 futaba but they only give 35 oz in of torque.

ishu4u 10-01-2002 12:44 AM

i'm rtf my vortec, any tips......

flew it this weekend at a local fly in...
not fast but very stable and lands great.. my choice of a st90 with stock muffler may not be the right combo. it is slower than i want it to be.. tried ma 14x6 and apc 14x8 i think i will tach it and start going smaller dia and keep the pitch around 8 and see where it leads me.. there must be a bit more top end even from the stock muffler combo.. hate costly nitro boosting for power.. std 10% works fine for me. and the apc n and nn series has alot to offer only time will tell if it gets faster. fat wings only go so fast anyway.

jlong34016 10-01-2002 02:02 AM

prop st90

Way too big of prop. Suggested size for 90 two stroke is 12x8 not 14x8. I bet it will go twice as fast with the 12 inch prop. Not even getting into the power band.For speed i would consider even smaller diameter and more pitch but your right its a thick wing.