RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   New Toy SIG KOBRA JETT SS.40 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/3276542-new-toy-sig-kobra-jett-ss-40-a.html)

Crazy4Flight 08-18-2005 08:10 PM

New Toy SIG KOBRA JETT SS.40

1 Attachment(s)
Some time ago I bought a 85% Built /covered SIG KOBRA

Built and covered as you see it with DB mech. retracts with servo.

So I added some Hitec: HS-425BB servos and 555 Rx, and a rebuilt Dubb Jett SS.40

Sunday will be its maiden, next two days forcast thunderstorms.

And yes the OS engines decal will be removed

Will it be faster than my Kangke F3D-30~OS.32SX?

Bob Brother # 105

Razor-RCU 08-19-2005 12:53 AM

RE: New Toy SIG KOBRA JETT SS.40

Crazy- You crazy! Good find with the Cobra, it is nice to see someone putting a Jett in one instead of an OS or ST- It is gonna book for sure!

My money would still be on the F3D with the 32SX, simply because she is so thin--- Never know though-

Keep us posted and Rev on!

bob27s 08-19-2005 08:01 AM

I forgot you have the SS-40 :)

Plane looks nice. Should be fun!

Small prop - engine has to run over 17.5K with that muffler. Closer to 18K is even better.

Crazy4Flight 08-19-2005 02:01 PM

The Kobra should get over 100mph with the gear up. But there are no doors for the gear wells so I still get some drag.

The F3D has a very thin wing and I tapered the blunt edges of the landing gear and sanded off the flash off the wing and tailfeathers at the seams.

Well the Jetts has been a great engines for me...
I have 2 sport 50 (Whiplash and Magnum) and 1 FIRE 50 (Whiplash)
and a 1.20 on my F-4

Spare change has been in short supply or I would have bought the 60LX FIRE for my Whiplash with the sport 50. But I have a Wild Hare LR-1 with out a Jett so I may get a .35 soon.

Crazy4Flight 08-22-2005 05:23 PM

the Rx battery did not cycle properly and high winds sunday kept the Kobra grounded.

frikinstik 08-27-2005 12:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Crazy4Flight

the Rx battery did not cycle properly and high winds sunday kept the Kobra grounded.
[img][/img]

WOW, didnt expect to find a forum on this plane much less how to make it even FASTER. i hope the pics i attached work this time.
i wanted this kit when i was young and didnt have the money at the time, and then they stopped producing in i believe 82. i found mine on Bay in an unopenned box and jumped all over it. spent all last winter building it and all spring and summer flying it. i love it. even with an antique OS 35 (got to go) it screamed and turned more than one head at the field. extremely agile with dual rates and can keep up with planes with much more muscle.
anyway i was happy when i found this forum and wowed when i saw your Kobra as a tail dragger. mine was built to specs and slightly nose heavy, with fixed gear, antique OS 35 with a straight out exaust, APC 9X9 prop 20% fuel, JR radio. So when i saw yours i found it very interesting. Is your center of gravity way back or what? did you have to as lots of weight in the tail? my OS has had it after much abuse this season and i am looking at revamping the power plant and from what i gather a JETT SS 40 might be the ticket. i also am interested in any pics you may have of the retracts installed on yours.

best of luck on you maiden flight, hope it is soon. just a little advise. dont try and float it in on final. keep the speed up and flare close to the deck. with trike gear, it touches down and sticks, i mean really stick to the runway, but with a trail dragger you might be to get it even slower and grease it in. dont get it close to stall speed though. it will tip stall in a hearbeat and it will be a real short trip to the deck. oh ya, it turns into a dot in the sky real quick so keep in a close downwind high up at first to check everything out.
Frik.

Crazy4Flight 08-27-2005 08:11 PM

Frik,

Sunday i may get a chance to fly it. I put the Rx batt in the fuse aft of the wing to get it to balance. the retract servo on in the wing near the leading edge. if it too slow for me with the JETT SS.40 I will try a Sport .50 and Piped that I bought and is due in any day now.

Bob

Razor-RCU 08-28-2005 12:33 AM

frikinstik- Welcome to the Speed Forum and RCU! Your pics bring back memories... Back in the early 80's I had the Cougar (That was the 25 sized one right?) with an OS-25 or 28FSR and it hauled arse- Your slooks great! If I can offer a couple options to ya, try an APC maybe smaller than 9x9 maybe 9x7, and smaller tires for speed?

Either way, welcome to the Revver brothers forum and keep us posted on your Jett upgrade!

Crazy- You are just that - CRAZY!

Bob flies Whips and Magnums so it takes a real speedy ship to make him happy- Wish I had those birds...

James

Crazy4Flight 08-29-2005 04:25 PM

Well the maiden flight was Sunday. Winds were 10-15 almost straight down the runway.

It Is fast and faster than the F3D. No official speed measurments tho. It required a little left trim and a lot of fuel. The SS.40, rebuilt by James, started right up and off we went. It tracked very well, inverted flight required very little input, and landings were a sinch.

MY Jett .50 side exaust came today but is may fine a different home than the Kobra.