RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Looking for Patriot of Sig Kobra (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/3278108-looking-patriot-sig-kobra.html)

David Hill 08-19-2005 10:19 AM

Looking for Patriot of Sig Kobra

Hi Guys,
I am looking for either a Sig Kobra or a GP Patriot 40 for a go fast project. I have an OPS 60 front intake/rear exhaust I can shoe horn into the Patriot. Did it a few years back and it was a blast until I blew the stab off. I want to build another one, but I can not find a kit. Really don't feel like scratching one.
Also has anyone ever put a Jett 46 in a Kobra, the 20 size Sig? Can it be done

Thanks,
David

bob27s 08-19-2005 10:52 AM

RE: Looking for Patriot of Sig Kobra

Hi Dave.......

hows it going.

Second question first... look about 3 posts below yours
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3276542
SJ-46 install would be the same

Patriot kits are hard to find since they went out of production (again). Every so often you see one show up in the market place here.

A good alternative is the DC F-20 now sold by Juno R/C down in texas. Although it might be hard to cram an OPS in the nose - its a tight fit as it is. .. but anything is possible. Their F-18 or Tsunami might be a good choice though.

Bob

David Hill 08-19-2005 10:57 AM

Hi Bob,
OK thanks on that thread, guess it will work:) . I really want to do the Patriot again. The OPS 60 I have loves 10-9 props and was a fantastic combo in the Patriot. I had to make it a tail dragger because the nose was all filled with engine. Worked out just fine.

David

Wizard61 08-19-2005 11:20 AM

Hello David:

There is one on everybodies favorite auction site right now. Search for auction number:5994169690. Bob27 is the high bidder at
$9.99.

Regards,

James

bob27s 08-19-2005 12:34 PM

Opps... Wizard beat me to it :)

yeah, there is a kit up there. I put a low bid on it to watch it.

Appears to be what Dave is looking for though!

Bob

Wizard61 08-19-2005 01:57 PM

Hey Bob27s:

You can answer this for me I have both kits the .40 sized and the XL. Which can be set up for the fastest speed?

Regards,

James

daven 08-19-2005 02:03 PM

I just left the local hobby shop (Hobby Warehouse in Richfield Minnesota). I'm pretty sure I saw a sig Kobra kit for sale on the back wall. They do some mail order, and I'm sure would ship it to you. Not positive on the price, but I thought it was about $85.

Talk to Jeremy or Tom.

There phone number is 612-861-5587

bob27s 08-19-2005 02:09 PM

Which is faster ??
hmmmmmmmmm...

Talking level flight speed.......

Most of the Pat .40 size with the SJ-46 and SJ-50 engines in them run around 130-140 mph flat out. Some have come back and claimed 150 mph or more. Probably do-able under the right circumstances and if you pay attention to details. The only Pat-40 aircraft I know of that went much over 150 mph had a .90L engine in it. Ive also heard of another one confirmed over 150mph with an altered DF engine up front.

My old ARF version got up to 126 (average two way) with a SJ-46 on it. Probably could have done better with prop selection. That was some time ago too.

The big Patriot seems to fly around 120-130 mph on the top end with a SJ-90L in it. Maybe with the right setup, it can push 140. There was a post on here from Jon-Focal-Plane where he was getting an average just over 130 using a Jett 90LX. Thats about right. Its a big plane ... lots of drag. More data coming in just about every week on the XL. Learning as we go.

I know of one person at this time building a PAT-XL with gear doors, and some minor modifications to help clean up lots of the small details. His goal is 150mph. We shall see if he gets there.

Which is faster ? Idunno. With these setups, the seem to run about the same top end speed.

Bob

Razor-RCU 08-19-2005 02:37 PM

The 40 size looks faster- :D

Jerry Knols 08-19-2005 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey there,
I saw this thread and just wanted to let you know that I did see a GP Patriot at a fan fly down in Florida two years back that was on a radar gun at 150+ He had an OPS 45 rear exhaust with a full length muffled pipe. The prop he had looked ridiculous, but it worked. It was an 8.5 x9 fiberglass prop he had made in Australia of all places. He said the prop was the whole secret to the plane. The best part was it was not even loud.
I have an XL and the best I ever did with it with an OS 91 FX was 120. Flys great just not very fast. My MK Majic 60 is faster with the YS 60 short stroke is faster.

Jerry

Wizard61 08-19-2005 09:31 PM

Sounds good, I may have to move one of them up in my plans. I think I need to move one of these up in my schedule.

Thanks for the input.

Regards,

James

Razor-RCU 08-19-2005 10:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic. of a modded Patriot with an OPS of some sort-

Don't remember whos it was maybe they will chime in here-

David Hill 08-23-2005 07:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,
Well not only did I find a kit, but the guy also had a real nice prop jet that looks like a Sky Ray he sold me too. It is ready to be final sanded, glassed and painted. He bought it at Toledo 6 years ago, and never did anything with it. Has an OS 61 VF in it that is new and Spring Air retracts. Anyone know anything about this plane? Wingspan is 47" length 68. Weight 5lbs 4 oz with radio installed as it sits. I t should come in around 7 I would guess.

David

bob27s 08-23-2005 10:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Jerry Knols

... He said the prop was the whole secret to the plane. The best part was it was not even loud....
Jerry
The prop selection is indeed very important. Has to match both the engine and the airframe. That gets tricky when you are looking for the very peak top end speed.

Dave, that skyray looking bird is kinda kewl looking :) Should be fun.

Cyclic Hardover 08-23-2005 08:04 PM

I have this same engine (NIB)with the OPS pipe. The book says with the right prop, its rated at 23,000rpm. Iwas selling for a friend who has had it for years. I just pulled it out of the closet to try and sell again but I may just get it myself. Looks like it must have been a top of the line engine at one time. What do you know about it?

ORIGINAL: David Hill

Hi Guys,
I am looking for either a Sig Kobra or a GP Patriot 40 for a go fast project. I have an OPS 60 front intake/rear exhaust I can shoe horn into the Patriot. Did it a few years back and it was a blast until I blew the stab off. I want to build another one, but I can not find a kit. Really don't feel like scratching one.
Also has anyone ever put a Jett 46 in a Kobra, the 20 size Sig? Can it be done

Thanks,
David