RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   My Diamond Dust compared to my Shrike (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/3293728-my-diamond-dust-compared-my-shrike.html)

ckoerner 08-24-2005 08:19 AM

My Diamond Dust compared to my Shrike

I have a Diamond Dust with a JET FIRE 50 and a 10 size Shrike with a OS 32 w/tuned pipe. After flying both, my Shrike always seemed faster. My friend just finished a Shrike with the same set up as mine. Last night we put my DD and his Shrike up at the same time. The shrike was faster. So I was probably right with my shrike being faster. Now we have to put my shrike up against his. I just never thought the Shrike would be faster. What RPM's should I be getting on the ground with the JET FIRE 50?

Later,
Craig

bob27s 08-24-2005 10:14 AM

RE: My Diamond Dust compared to my Shrike

ORIGINAL: ckoerner
What RPM's should I be getting on the ground with the JET FIRE 50?

Later,
Craig
On the FIRE it depends on how the pipe was set up. When delivered, Dub would have included the rpm range and suggested props to keep you there.

Some of the other DD pilots on here can give you some of their specifics.

In general, it should turn "over" 17,500 rpm on the ground with a regular 9x8 prop. Usually the FIRE engines for DD applications are set up for higher rpm.

One FIRE .50 shipped lately was set up turning an APC 8.8x8.75 over 19K rpm.

A few of the engines were set up for super-high rpm turning the 7.4x8 qm40 props. But on the Whiplash and DD the D-1 serise Q-500 props seem to work best.

Let me know where you are with it now (prop, rpm, fuel)

Bob

Rudeboy 08-24-2005 08:12 PM

RE: My Diamond Dust compared to my Shrike

ORIGINAL: bob27s

ORIGINAL: ckoerner
What RPM's should I be getting on the ground with the JET FIRE 50?

Later,
Craig

A few of the engines were set up for super-high rpm turning the 7.4x8 qm40 props. But on the Whiplash and DD the D-1 serise Q-500 props seem to work best.

Let me know where you are with it now (prop, rpm, fuel)

Bob
I am putting together another Dust as we speak, and it will be powered by my high rpm BSE FIRE 50. Dub told me to use a QM40 prop for best performance, but I guess it will work fine with slightly larger props if the pipe length is set correctly. (I bought the engine for my Stinger 40 initially... the one that is still on "the pile" :eek:)
I will start out with unmodified Q500 props, but I think something extra can be squeezed out of the combination with some slight prop trimming... we'll see.
IMO the Dust does not need a "huge" prop like a sport 9x8, but since I haven't tried it, it is just that: an opinion. Again, we'll see...

I was/am aiming for the maiden this weekend, probably sunday... don't know if I'll get there. If not this weekend, then the next.
I will get back to you guys with my findings.