RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   mini speed (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/3362294-mini-speed.html)

Lomcevak Duck 09-15-2005 05:22 PM

mini speed

What do you guys think about the lanier dominator 200? What about with a .15 CV-A on the front end? Does anybody make a tuned pipe for this engine?

combatpigg 09-15-2005 08:32 PM

RE: mini speed

A guy over in the 1/2A forum just built one for .061 power, and it turned out tail heavy. We were just talking about putting a .15 on it to get the CG right. MACs' PRODUCTS can fix you up with an exhaust system.

daven 09-15-2005 09:52 PM

I built one with a Norvel .061 (I think, it might have been an .074).

Tail heavy like crazy, it needed a lot of nose weight. I didn't have enough throw on takeoff (hand launch) and dorked it. Its been sitting waiting for repairs for about 3 years. I've since robbed all the electronics for a tribute foamie.

I'm not sure of anyone that has flown one. They kinda came and went...

Mines very repairable, just haven't gotten around to it.

I think an OS LA .15 might be ok?? The CV might be a little too much (I don't believe I'm saying this), it is a very small plane.

Lomcevak Duck 09-15-2005 11:11 PM

Well, after long consideration, (about 15 minutes) I decided to give it the old "why not." There is a Dominator somewhere in the mail somewhere between here and Champaign IL wth my name on it. After I get it framed up I'll see what kind of horses I can hitch it to up front. (The .15 CV-A is really tempting...) how close you think I could get to the ever illusive 200 MPH mark? I figure I'll be doing a bit of of glassing and carbon-fibreing.

HaveBlue 09-15-2005 11:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was thinking something along the same line to break the 200mph barrier, theres a neat little 3 port rossi rated at 35,500 but its a cx12( its actually listed as an aero engine), dont know what prop would hold up to that ..the only other problem I have with the idea is keeping track of a small plane!!! although I dont have a particular plane in mind, probably go for a custom design

daven 09-16-2005 07:17 AM

I think you will be suprised at how little this thing is. The firewall is barely over an inch square. You will struggle finding a fuel tank that will feed a .15 for very long. Since you will be using a bigger engine, you many not be able to get away with micro servos.

I wish you luck.

Let us know how it goes.

MJD 09-16-2005 10:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd like to see a hot glow engine grafted into something like this!

SOKOL
is an all-molded Hi Tech model for Speed-400 Pylon Racing
Just add your radio and go Fly
Span 720mm (28,3'') Length 550 (21,6) Airfoil MH-43 Wing area 7,1sq dm (110sq in)
Weight 123gr (4,4 0z)
The wing and stab are molded composite.

or this

SUNRACER
Span 980mm (38,5'') Length 620mm (24,4) Airfoil MH-43 7,5%
Wing area 10.334sq dm ( 16.01sq in)
Weight 200gr (7,0 0z)

daven 09-16-2005 10:28 AM

One other thing, I intended to put one of my Cox Conquest .15's on the Dominator, and after I saw how small it was decided not too.

Those electrics are pretty cool, I think they will take over the racing scene down the road.

I just don't like hand launched planes with little high pitched props though...

ptulmer 09-16-2005 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of a little experiment that I did about three years ago. It's about the size of a dominator and flew nicely with a .15la. With a 7x6 APC it would get up and GO! With a little advice from Combatpigg, there will be a couple of changes and a piped Novarossi .15 is going on the next one.
Steve, there's a pipe for the .15la and the CVX. Either one will be fun, and I doubt that any reinforcing would be necessary. Don't know about the firewall size. I've got a mount at the house I can measure for you later, just let me know.
Sub-micro servos are out of the question. Mini's would be the best in terms of power and weight.

Lomcevak Duck 09-16-2005 11:21 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys. As soon as the kit gets here I'll start assembly, and shouldn't take me too terribly long to frame it up. I'll do my best to post pics and start a build thread. I may end up putting something other than the CV-A on the nose if it turns out to be way too small. I have a box full of Cox .049s. I love to hear that cantankerously obnoxous sputtering scream of a 1/2 A. and it would probably be small enough to fly in some of the grassy fields around here.

ptulmer 09-16-2005 11:54 AM

If you decide to fly it with a Cox, (or a VA!) replace as much of the wood as possible with lighter, thinner wood. Like Combatpigg says "build a dollhouse with what's in the box" The area of this wing is just about perfect for a speedy .15.

combatpigg 09-16-2005 09:40 PM

Without question, if you decide to build it for 1/2A power, make the nose about 2 inches longer! Otherwise it looks like a good sled for a hot .15.