RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Patriot 40 Kit, Need some suggestions. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/3509450-patriot-40-kit-need-some-suggestions.html)

nicknaf 10-31-2005 10:36 PM

Patriot 40 Kit, Need some suggestions.

All,

To make a short story long.... I test flew a club members Patriot 40 ARF a few weeks ago and was promptly bit by the speed bug (again). Since then I've been scouring E-bay for a kit... and as of yesterday I'm the proud new owner of a NIB 40 kit!

I've always been one to 'try' to do things right so I thought I'd get some info from those of you that have built the kit (or ARF) before.

Kit: What would you do different, if anything? Any trouble areas that need some reenforcement?

Retracts: YES I will have them, its just not right to leave the wheels down on this airplane. :D That being said, I fly off Grass... My flying skills are above average so I shouldn't be banging her into the ground, but we all have our bad days.. so I want some robustness. What brand? Robart, Spring Air, etc? Mech or Air? Is there even room for a bottle?

Engine: Ok this one is mainly for Bob B. I've already decided that she's getting a Jett. now the question is which one? 50? or the 60L? There truly is no substitute for Cubic inches, but on this airplane which will work better? I see on the Jett WS that the RPM's of the 60L can be brought up with the "Super-Sport"! muffler, whats the full story Bob?

Fuel system: I'm thinking the Bubble Jett tank. Any idea whats the max size I can cram in a baby Patriot?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on, but that does it for now.

Thanks a million! [8D]

Nick

bob27s 11-01-2005 11:13 AM

RE: Patriot 40 Kit, How would YOU build it?

Hi Nick........

bitten by the bug huh??
Instead of Avian Flu..... we have Aviator Flu going on here

Any of the retracts are good. I personally prefer air. Spring air, Robart's new spring-air clones, B&D (maybe with some install modifications).

Pleanty of room for an air tank. There is nothing up over the wing. Everything else gets installed in the tail (as much as possible).

Worry not about grass. I've flown off of grass 85% of the time for 30+ years. Never a problem. (if the landing was bad enough to cause the gear to rip out, it would have probably ripped out conventional gear as well) Use the stock 5/32 wire struts (not shock struts). They absorb fore-aft grass-drag loads a bit better. And use some good jugement installing the retract plates.

Engine choice - The standard SJ-50 or BSE-50 is great. Pleanty of patriots flying with that. The new SJ or BSE-60LX is the other engine to consider. This is the "ss" setup noted there. Same size and case as the .50 engine. Instain power. Has to be propped to run over 16,800 peak rpm at all times. Generally that is not a problem :) 10x6, 10x7, 9x9 (ive even got one guy with a 10x10 clipped down a bit turning way up there)

Tank - I know the jett 8oz standard fits pretty well. I think some guys have used the tetra 8 and 10oz tanks also - but im not sure of the installation details.

There is lots of Patriot experience on here. Im sure you will get pleanty of help :)

nicknaf 11-01-2005 11:10 PM

RE: Patriot 40 Kit, How would YOU build it?

Bob,

Thanks for all the info! Everything you said goes with what I had in mind, I just needed to hear that I wasn't nuts for wanting the .60. :)

Hopefully the kit will be here by Friday so I can start moving forward.

Thanks again!.

Nick