RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   GP COSMIC WIND/ANYONE? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/3511595-gp-cosmic-wind-anyone.html)

rmenke 11-01-2005 04:35 PM

GP COSMIC WIND/ANYONE?

I need a fast arf for my Jett 90L. I have had it in the GP Little Tony and Shoestring, both were good flyers but way to slow for my needs. Now I see the new Cosmic Wind, but do not want to donate anything more to Great Planes and their not quite true adversising. Does anyone out there have a Cosmic Wind Minnow flying? With the oversized sports wing, I know all of the above fly well, just need one thats fast. How fast, about the speed of a Q-500 with a sports 40 in it. Someone could make a few bucks by buildilng a fast wing for these speed dogs! Any info would be much appreciated!

jon_focal_plane 11-02-2005 12:59 AM

RE: GP COSMIC WIND/ANYONE?

Rmenke,

I've clocked the Minnow in the low 130's with a Jett 90LX. Probably with a bit of tail wind so I wouldn't expect a great deal more from this airframe. It is quite a nice flying plane, doesn't seem to tip or exhibit other bad characteristics. My Patriot XL with Jett 90LX has hit 157mph (average speed ~mid 130's).

Jonathan

bob27s 11-02-2005 10:45 AM

Yeah, feed back I have is about what Jon noted there.

The Minnow and Toni are about the same speed range - 120-130 with the LX up front. Run 115-120 range with the 90L and the right prop.

Bob

MJD 11-02-2005 11:08 AM

ORIGINAL: rmenke
Now I see the new Cosmic Wind, but do not want to donate anything more to Great Planes and their not quite true adversising.
Not to mention their penchant for copying other people's popular aircraft designs under the guise of innovation - or is that what you mean?

There must be another aircraft just right for you out there..

Rebellion 11-02-2005 10:44 PM

Something else for you to look at. [link=http://www.cermark.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=C&Product_Code =CER-A106B&Category_Code=AAA]Alley Cat[/link]

PLANE JIM 11-03-2005 10:14 PM

rmenke, you must be a great pilot, in your own mind

rmenke 11-03-2005 11:59 PM

E-Dave:

Ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. Now a rev brother has really come through I think. Looks great, looks fast, looks fun. Ok need to know about what this thing will do with a good motor in it ie. Jett 90L. Is it quick, will it turn, how is it landing. My Krangke F3D drives me crazy. If its a good fast base, will think about driving to Texas and have a speed it up session with Dub or Bob B. The apearance alone plus the bark of that engine will surleymake the guys shake. They allready know I do not move for ANYONE, PERIOD. A legend in my own mind? THANKS SO MUCH GUYS Bro # 119

rmenke 11-04-2005 12:04 AM

Jimmy: Why you so hard on a poor old man just trying to keep up with the kids? Just for the hell of it, a challange, lets go into the garage and post a photo of the trophies theirin?

MJD 11-04-2005 11:39 AM

Curse you for showing us that Alley Cat e-dave! It looks real purty. and now my credit card is burning a hole in my pocket. I thought I was done buying models for this year... arrrgh!

MJD 11-04-2005 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: PLANE JIM

rmenke, you must be a great pilot, in your own mind
I don't get it - what was the point of that comment? Do you guys know each other and this was just an inside joke, or was it a pointless jab? If he wants to fly something fast that looks kewl, great, go for it. That's what this forum is all about, I thought anyways.

bob27s 11-04-2005 07:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
alley cat photos - the prototype at Toledo.

Engine will mount inverted. Will need 1/2" or so muffler extension on some 2c 90 engines. Should haul buns.

bob27s 11-04-2005 07:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
nose on

Rebellion 11-04-2005 07:48 PM

E-Dave:

Ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. Now a rev brother has really come through I think.

Curse you for showing us that Alley Cat e-dave!

I'm so confused.[sm=bananahead.gif]

js3 11-04-2005 07:54 PM

Bob,

Any idea what the wing area is on the Alley Cat?

Gall, Dible and I are wondering if we should add it to the Grandfather clause in the F1 Sport rules.

Thanks,

rmenke 11-05-2005 08:06 PM

MJD:

I think Plane Jim is a School teacher from Texas who likes to spank a little too much. I don't honestly take offence if it is one and the same. He is a nice guy in Texas boots that gets honery after walking a few blocks to school. Anyone who drives a Cobra replica has got to be good people. Anyway, give him a pass, he may not be that far off base. Seems like I am getting old all at once. The gang around here are talking trash a lot more, even when they are lapped! Must be some blood in the water, the sharks are getting closer and bolder. SORRY, gonna be a few years yet!

rmenke 11-05-2005 08:19 PM

Bob:

Think you have sort of blown it here. Your picture of the Alley Kat seems to have product bens behind the plane making me think you have one of these things under build in the store? If so, make Dub let you post some build pics and let us know how this thing does in real life. Can only afford one more of these thengs for the next racilng year, and it has to scoot. Such is retirement. Would appreciate any and all imput. Thanks

Bob.R 11-05-2005 09:11 PM

Bob, that Alley Kat is gorgeous. Dub's 90LX sales ought to jump once it hits the market.

Crazy4Flight 11-05-2005 11:23 PM

ORIGINAL: js3

Bob,

Gall, Dible and I are wondering if we should add it to the Grandfather clause in the F1 Sport rules.

Thanks,
FROM THE CERMARK WEBPAGE

The Alley Cat is a limited edition quarter scale ARF made especially for Jason Air Racing! The performance is quick and nimble, as you would expect a Formula One racer to be.

The Alley Cat is IMAA Legal and very true to scale. Our model features a completely assembled landing gear pre-painted fiberglass fuselage, and a fully finished canopy/hatch. The wings and tail are covered in MonoKote.

Whether you are looking for a formidable racer or an everyday flyer, the Alley Cat will turn heads as fast as it turns corners!

Cermark's introductory price for the complete ARF kit with all necessary hardware and accessories is only $259.00

A four or more channels radio with 5 Servos is required along with a 40 to 60 size two or four stroke engine.

SPECIFICATION
Wing Span Length Weight Engine Radio Color
63" 47.5" 6.5 Lbs 40~60 2 or 4C 4 Channel White/Red

js3 11-06-2005 12:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Crazy4Flight

ORIGINAL: js3

Bob,

Thanks,
FROM THE CERMARK WEBPAGE

The Alley Cat is a limited edition quarter scale ARF made especially for Jason Air Racing! The performance is quick and nimble, as you would expect a Formula One racer to be.

The Alley Cat is IMAA Legal and very true to scale. Our model features a completely assembled landing gear pre-painted fiberglass fuselage, and a fully finished canopy/hatch. The wings and tail are covered in MonoKote.

Whether you are looking for a formidable racer or an everyday flyer, the Alley Cat will turn heads as fast as it turns corners!

Cermark's introductory price for the complete ARF kit with all necessary hardware and accessories is only $259.00

A four or more channels radio with 5 Servos is required along with a 40 to 60 size two or four stroke engine.

SPECIFICATION
Wing Span Length Weight Engine Radio Color
63" 47.5" 6.5 Lbs 40~60 2 or 4C 4 Channel White/Red

Thanks. Yeah, I saw that on their site. It doesn't say anything about area. If it is similar in size to the GP Lil Toni, Minnow, Shoestring, and World Models Midget Mustang, we would include it in the rules. If it's significantly smaller, then we wouldn't.

Jason Somes 11-06-2005 01:12 AM

I'm not quite sure of the wing area. I think its around 500 squares.
The airplane is quarter scale just like the Minnow, Little Toni, and Shoestring.

BTW it flies great and really gets with the program!

Hope this helps,
Jason
www.jasonairracing.com

bob27s 11-06-2005 09:47 AM

Nope..... unfortinately I do not have one. (Ive got too many things in the works as it is .... and so little time to get those done...)

Nice to see you drop in Jason.... its a great looking plane. No doubt it will be a big seller :)

Dub shipped a 90LX to someone intended to be in the nose of an AlleyCat soon.

DaveR 11-07-2005 12:05 AM

Cermark recommends a 40-60 size engine and weighs 6.5 lbs. Also, Jason thinks it's about 500 squares. Bob, don't you think that something like a 60L or something based on a 40 block, rather than one of the 90s would be a better choice? I'm getting the impression that this is a much smaller plane than a Toni or Minnow. It's about 20 in. shorter fuse, and with the funky wing shape, more of a high aspect ratio wing.

HighPlains 11-07-2005 12:49 AM

Full size wingspan 21 ft. or 252"
Model wingspan 63" or exactly 25%

Full size wing area 66 ft. sq. (minimum by rules)
Model ? But 1/16 of 66 would be 594

I don't think the 47" fuse is much shorter than the Tony or Shoestring. The Minnow is quite long.

bob27s 11-07-2005 10:37 AM

ORIGINAL: DaveR

Cermark recommends a 40-60 size engine and weighs 6.5 lbs. Also, Jason thinks it's about 500 squares. Bob, don't you think that something like a 60L or something based on a 40 block, rather than one of the 90s would be a better choice? I'm getting the impression that this is a much smaller plane than a Toni or Minnow. It's about 20 in. shorter fuse, and with the funky wing shape, more of a high aspect ratio wing.
Its a big plane..... its going to need a "60" size engine. Its about the same size as the Toni. Lots of fuselage.

However I have a feeling its going to be quicker that the Great Planes kits.

From what I understand, one of the prototypes flys with a YS110 up front.

Jason Somes 11-07-2005 11:44 AM

The prototype Alley Cat flew with a Magnum 52 fs. This flew the airplane well but, it lacked in the speed department.
I have seen the airplane fly with an O.S. 61, a Rossi 65, a YS 63, and a YS 110.
The Rossi and the YS 110 proved to be the fastest however, the 110 requires a bit of firewall removal to accept the engine.

The ws of the Cosmic is the same however, the fuse of the Alley Cat is much smaller. They are both Quarter Scale but the Alley Cat is much smaller to begin with and has a higher aspect ratio wing.

Regards,
Jason Somes
www.jasonairracing.com