RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Westom Magnum Combo? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/3543158-westom-magnum-combo.html)

captain_castor 11-11-2005 03:03 PM

Westom Magnum Combo?

Hi all, I've read a ton of threads about this awesome little speed demon, and I think I have to have one! My question is, is it more cost effecetive (MPH per Dollar) to get the combo with the West 50 V1 or just get the plane and buy engine/header/pipe separately? I have a predator 500 with a st 45 turning a 8.8x8.2 and I want a lot more speed. Say 170+ MPH. I want to hang with a Diamond Dust but have "real plane" looks.

The US Weston site sells the combo for $345 +shipping. Does this include the genisis pipe and manifold or just the motor? What other hardware is required? And is this the R version that they are selling? They say that it has been revised from the original, but nowhere does it say "R". Was there a version before the regular Magnum? Don't want to get burned by buying an obsolete product if somthing newer/better is available.

Thanks,
Nate

bob27s 11-11-2005 04:27 PM

RE: Westom Magnum Combo?

Nate,

The combo is not too bad of a deal. You get the plane, engine, pipe - whole setup. The W-50 engine is pretty good.

The plane the USA distributor has is the regular Magnum. Not the R version (unless they recently received some)

For $99 its a fun little plane :)

If you want an R version, it will likely have to come from the UK.

Some folks here with the W-50 engine can give you the pipe length and props they are using for top end speed.

Bob

av8or48 11-11-2005 07:33 PM

Hi Nate ,
I definitely recommend the combo, as Bob said you'll get the whole set up and believe me you will not be disappointed
I'm flying the old magnum since 2002, I got more then 100 flights and I can only say that this little rocket is worth every penny
I'm getting on the ground 20300 RPM and a calculated speed of 169 mph. with an APC 8x9 and 10% Omega
But wait till you do dive this puppy for a low pass and the engine unwinds another 2 or 3 thousand rpm ..........
She is on rail, if speed is what you are looking for the name is MAGNUM-WESTON.
Good luck to you Guido

Crazy4Flight 11-11-2005 09:42 PM

ORIGINAL: captain_castor

The US Weston site sells the combo for $345 +shipping. Does this include the genisis pipe and manifold or just the motor? What other hardware is required? And is this the R version that they are selling? They say that it has been revised from the original, but nowhere does it say "R". Was there a version before the regular Magnum? Don't want to get burned by buying an obsolete product if somthing newer/better is available.

Thanks,
Nate
DO NOT TRUST A WORD ON THE WEBSITE !!!!
LAST SPRING THE LISTED THE MAGNUM R.
I CALLED AND PLACED AN ORDER AND GOT THE OLD VERSION.
I E-MAILED THEM TO SET THINGS STRAIGHT WAS TOLD THE R WOULD BE IN SOON.
SENT THE OLD ONE BACK NEVER GOT A R VERSION
NEVER GOT A REFUND.
THEY DO NOT RESPOND TO EMAILS.
TIME TO HIRE THE FAMILY LAWYERS .

BOB

captain_castor 11-12-2005 02:08 PM

Is the R version worth the extra trouble/money?

ossie 11-12-2005 03:01 PM

ORIGINAL: captain_castor

Is the R version worth the extra trouble/money?
Sure is !!
I placed an order with Weston for the MagnumR, two weeks later the kit arrived at my doorstep.
Great service Weston UK...Thanks very much [sm=thumbup.gif]

captain_castor 11-13-2005 02:13 PM

So, it appears that in order to get my hands on a R version it has to come from Weston UK. Does anyone know the actual price difference in US Dollars between the old version bought and shipped in the USA vs the R version bought from the UK and shipped to the US? I would imagine its a huge difference in money and a long wait.

evan-RCU 11-14-2005 02:14 PM

Wait, Guido, av8or48, and I both got ours(the old version) from the US dealer down in florida and another friend, Dave got his(the R version) from there also, none of us have had any problems what-so-ever with them....

captain_castor 11-14-2005 11:18 PM

evan-RCU,

would you mind posting the name and phone number or web site address of the US dealer in Florida that carries these planes? Thanks!

evan-RCU 11-16-2005 02:44 PM

Sorry, I don't have it, PM Guido(av8or48), he should...