RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Bladder tanks (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/369329-bladder-tanks.html)

FlooredCOBRA 11-17-2002 08:14 AM

Bladder tanks

1 Attachment(s)
Hey would any of you guys know a company that makes bladder tanks? I seen many for gliders that guys use at our club. Most of them make there own out of surgical tubing. Are there any other ones around out there?

Just looking to get more flight time and keep the tank within the airframe of my DD. I have a Sullivan flex tank now in my DD but with the rework in size I lost alot of capacity. It is a 6 oz. but probably after getting it to fit its more like a 4 1/2 to 5 I am guessing.

BMatthews 11-17-2002 08:42 AM

Bladder tanks

I used to use these on my control line combats.

You should realize that the fuel is under quite a bit of pressure and the throttle may not work very well. At the very least you'll need the type of throttle with the idel mix screw so you can control the mix as the throttle barrel closes. The cheapie simple air valve types will make the engine flood as there is no way to shut down the fuel.

But as far as the bladder is concerned you can find the thin wall latex tubing at the serious fishing outlets. Use a plug or fold the end over and wire it shut and then pull the tubing on over the fuel line that has a bit of tubing stuck in the end so when you wire it the fuel tubing doesn't collapse and you're done. Then you'll need a big syringe to fill it with and a forcep type clamp to close the feed tube while you hook it up. Remove the clamp and pinch with your fingers while it starts and be ready to pinch it to control the fuel until you get the needle adjusted.

You'll probably find that the needle gets very sensitive under this sort of pressure so adjust it in small increments. Single clicks usually make quite a difference.

Foremost used to offer pen bladders for making fuel tanks but with most people using the thin wall latex and just plugging off or folding the ends over the pen bladder tanks fell out of favour and you can't find them any more. And if you did find old stock I'll bet the rubber is perished.

Speaking of perishing. The latex only takes the glow fuel for a few runs. Especially if there's lots of nitro involved. Plan on a new "tank" at least once a month. But since this is only a few cents worth of tubing it's not a big deal.

The wiring to clamp the tubing can either be 24 gauge copper wire or a rubber band wound around 5 or 6 times. Either one works well with my taste being the rubber band as I think it's more friendly to the bladder rubber. But not many people using the copper have problems either.

wingspan99 11-17-2002 12:14 PM

Bladder tanks are avail

Check out Jettengineering.com, Dub Jett makes several tanks with silicone bladders that take the nitro fine. They also allow muffler pressure, and you set your carb the same as usual. The bladder resides inside a polyethylene tank, and the muffler pressure is fed into the poly tank. They're made for pylon racing, to give a good needle the whole flight, and avoid the lean runs or lean period at the end.
I've been thinking about condoms or balloons to make my own, but the silicone bladder beats them all hands down.
-Tom

Cyclic Hardover 11-17-2002 12:16 PM

Re: Bladder tanks

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FlooredCOBRA
[B]Hey would any of you guys know a company that makes bladder tanks?

"DEPENDS?" :D

sydclement 11-17-2002 01:16 PM

Bladder Tanks

Centeral Hobbies has all the blatter tanks you want
in lots of sizes.

www.centralhobbies.com

1-800-723-5937
Good outfit to deal with.

Syd

FlooredCOBRA 11-17-2002 10:12 PM

Great!

Great thanks guys I'll check them out. I'm sure I can find something that will work for me.

jlong34016 11-17-2002 10:21 PM

bladder tank

The bladder tanks i have looked at do not fit the delta application. Front spar is in the way as well as being too thick.