RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Majic 45 faster than GP Patriot (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/3766631-majic-45-faster-than-gp-patriot.html)

David Hill 01-12-2006 06:07 PM

Majic 45 faster than GP Patriot

Hi Guys,
Have a question here. I am wondering if we are all over looking some great fast airplanes. I was at the field today, 60 degrees and sunny. Anyway, had my GP Patriot with a Jett 50 out and was going great. It is in the mid 140's and is a lot of fun. Any way, a new club member showed up with an airplane called a MK Majic 45 with a YS 45 on a pipe. The damn thing went by mine like it was standing still. We made 6 passes together and it was no contest. He said it was an old 45 size pattern ship from the early 1980's. Real clean plane with the gear up and a fairly thin wing. That YS45 is one strong motor, he was turning a real strange prop called an
IM 11-8+2 at just over 14,500 rpm
Anyone else played with planes like this? He said MK and Zigsaw made some real nice planes.

David

Fxrs_tim 01-12-2006 08:12 PM

RE: Majic 45 faster than GP Patriot

David,

Welcome to the world of the ballistic pattern planes of the late 70's early 80's. Back then pattern was flown at 100+ mph and had some of the most beautiful planes ever made (slightly biased opinion there..). I think MK kits are still available from rc.aerosport.com in Singapore. MK, while not cheap, are probably the best kits I've ever seen. Wood quality is outstanding, parts fit like a jigsaw puzzle, and they come with top-of-the-line hardware.

You'll find a lot more info on these planes over at the the Classic Pattern forum (sub-forum of Pattern). If you really want to see something haul, get one of those old classics and stuff a Jett 91 in it. Your buddy with the YS Magic will be asking YOU what you have. :)

Tim

HaveBlue 01-12-2006 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I dont know about the MK Magic, but I stumbled upon another kit manufacturer of classic pattern planes that are very clean indeed , being of the similar era where the fuselages werent the wide body version they are today ..these conseal pipes and engines and are recommended to have retracts for really tidy them up ..these would similar I'd imagine
they are from Carolina custom aircraft, I dont have have a website but I do have his email if you want and he can send you a price list if you'd be interested in some of these sleek planes

I'll be getting the brushfire, althought designed for larger engines like 60 to 90...but these would get some impressive speed too
there is a model called the T2 which is a 45 - 50 size model..but I dont have a photo of that one

bob27s 01-13-2006 11:00 AM

Hey Dave.. hows it going :)

Imagine, flying in mid january....... whodafigured......

Ah..... yes. The days of REAL pattern ships :)

The MK Magic .40 was the .40 size version of Hanno Pretners Magic FAI pattern ship from around 1979-81 time frame.

MK still makes kits. Sometimes hard to find here in the US. With the Japanese exchange rate, they end up pretty expensive.
Zigsaw made a few decent kits and some nice ARF type ships like the Atlanta.

The Magic has thin wings, very clean - if your buddy has the pipe tucked inside, gear up - no doubt its a clean setup.

The 11x8+2 prop ...... and others like it ...... were progressive pitch props. If i recall, slightly higher pitch at the tips... unloaded inboard. They worked nicely. But with that large of a disk area, its also a lot of drag too. Sounds like he has the engine set up properly - the YS45 does like bigger props, and runs best around 14K rpm.

What prop do you have on the Patriot ? You would want to use a 9x9 if you are not already.

Bob

David Hill 01-13-2006 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Bob,
Yeap have a 9x9 on the Jett, but his plane was just FAST. Look what I picked up after work today [8D] . He said he had another MK Majic 40 he would sell me or he would trade for a XLT pattern ship he had seen me fly. Done deal we swapped. Can't wait to get it out to the field. This one also has the ys 45 with a Hatori pipe buried inside and retracts with gear door. Can you sat FAAAAAAST!!!!

I also found a Zigsaw Quattro 40 on Ebay I am going to watch, looks real slick. Bet that would haul with my Jett 50

David

Bob.R 01-14-2006 11:05 AM

The Patriot is a very cool looking jet-like plane, but the blunt simulated jet exhaust at the back of the fuselage adds drag. Everything else being equal, i.e. comparable frontal area and clean design with retracts, the pattern style fuselage will have less drag than the Patriot fuselage.

bob27s 01-14-2006 11:29 AM

That looks like the magic 40 Lewis S sold about a year ago (if I recall correctly)

David Hill 01-14-2006 05:01 PM

Hi Bob,
Hmmmmm, that could be , that almost make sence . This guy moved here from New York City and he did say he was not the builder. It is really nicely done and very light. Comes in at just 6 lbs even. I fired the YS 45 up on a APC 10-8 ( all I had on hand) and it truned over 15,000 rich . What prop do you think I should run? He also said the engine has a Performance Specialties piston/sleeve in it. Is 15% fuel OK for it or does it need more? He said he uses 20/20 fuel in his other YS.

David

bob27s 01-15-2006 10:54 AM

Run the 15% and the prop you have on hand. 15,000 on a 10x8 is pretty darn good. Likely that is where the pipe-length is set.

I double checked - the photo lewis sent me last year was the same photo you posted. I think he sold it at the WRAM show. So more than likely its the same plane.

Lewis S. 01-15-2006 01:25 PM

Hi David and Bob,
Yeap that is the one I sold all right, small world. You will love it, goes like a missle. The engine was almost new and does have a Performance Specialties piston and liner in it. The pipe was set up for APC 10-8 props when I had it. One thing to keep in mind is it really has a flat glide, don't over shoot when you land it .

Lewis

Razor-RCU 05-26-2006 01:27 PM

Okay Bob- Here is another thread with old school pattern ships floating around... 14K is best on a YS-45? Really?

That ship is Beautiful! I would have to actually see it beat the Pat/Jett-50 to believe it but I love classic pattern designs!

David- How did that thing fly? 15K on a 10x8 is quite a bit--- I still have a YS-60RE I got from Petec (Thanks!) and I check here and Flea-bay EVERY day for an old pattern ship to match...

Dang searches... I am envious!

Razor-RCU 07-31-2007 11:26 PM

I have decided to start the SoCal BPA (Southern California Ballistic Pattern Association) based off the BPA guys in NE (see classic Pattern forum). Old-school Fast-ass pattern ships competing for fun, imagine that!

Anybody in SoCal want to get involved? I dunno where to start but I have the rules and sequences from the other BPA site----

rmenke 08-03-2007 11:32 AM

RAZOR:

Yes, love the old 70-80 pattern ships. Still have my first trophie 6-12-71 A open. First bird (home brew) on the West Coast with retracts. (So I'm told) Think they gave me the trophie because of the retracts, a real novalty at the time. Would love to find a good quick bird for a Jett 90, or 90-OS-VRDF. The VRDF makes a real cheater out of about anything you can stuff it into. There are two new ones sitting in the engine cabinet that need a home soon, am getting old enough to make flying the very quick a little tough. Think the BP revival needs something more than back to flying basic pattern (yawn). Maby a little friendly 2 pole pylon? ENJOY