RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Diamond Dust-Landing Gear (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/3873984-diamond-dust-landing-gear.html)

Cyclic Hardover 02-05-2006 11:08 PM

Diamond Dust-Landing Gear

I have only seen one Diamond Dust in my years here. It had a couple pieces of 2-56 up front. It was simple but effective. Just curious here what the rest of you have up front. Just like to get some ideas here.

combatpigg 02-05-2006 11:51 PM

RE: Diamond Dust-Landing Gear

If you build it to come in at 2.5 pounds, the landing speed isn't very fast. I fly over grass and just land it on the belly. If you don't have that option, then I guess closed loop music wire skids would work OK.

rmenke 02-06-2006 02:05 PM

Combatpigg:

Going to be interesting. Have seen trike retracts on one shrike doing vidio aerial, don't know how much speed it got, but flew and landed well. Our field is very old asphalt and not smooth, the surrounding area, weeds and sand. We are far from any electrical service so can't grow grass. Nothing worse than a belly landing in the sand for your engines. You might look at the A.R.D. Stingray for a sweet wing design thay claim is the fastest going. For what it's worth, I have a decent scar on the top of my baldilng head from hand launching a wing thing for a buddys maden voyage a lot of years ago. Consider building a cheap launch ramp out of pvc pipe, needs to be only 4' or so at a 40% angle as a matter of safety. Often thought of what might have happned if the darn thing had gone down in a tight loop instead of up. Food for thought, keep the knees togeather.

Cyclic Hardover 02-06-2006 09:22 PM

Actually I have in my head (for what thats worth), some sort of retractable wire set up front. Might be impossible but its a thought. I 'll have to look at it when I get it.

bob27s 02-07-2006 12:01 PM

Ive considered using something along the lines of .10 size retracts. I think Robart has something like this, and there was a company down in Florida (I cant find the link) that was making .10-.40 size air retracts. If anyone remember that company or has a link, let me know....

The idea here was gear up for launch - and they are extended for landing only. Maybe use disk type racing wheels or narrow profile foam wheels (electric wheels). Getting the gear in the right place for a stable, straight launch might be tricky on a DD. Positioning compromise might be more acceptable for landing only.

rmenke 02-07-2006 02:31 PM

Cyclic:

Have had the same thoughts, using a nose retract up front with small strong mechanical servo setup and small strong wire hold offs at the wing tips behind the CG. Bob's centered racilng wheel thought has also be in consideration. Been a lot of years since I have done a wing thing, their side profile is so small I probably would put it into the ground in short order. Still, a good project for this winter after the AC is flying well. (I hope) Bro # 119