RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Kougar Mk II and Jett 50 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/3966821-kougar-mk-ii-jett-50-a.html)

edygert 02-27-2006 11:27 AM

Kougar Mk II and Jett 50

I have a Kougar Mk II kit and a Jett 50 engine. Are these a good match or will the engine be too much for the plane?

rmenke 02-27-2006 12:29 PM

RE: Kougar Mk II and Jett 50

edgyert:

The Jett 50 is a good strong motor for any 40 sized airframe, great iddle and throttle response. Retract your bird and prop correctly and it will be faster than most in the neighborhood. More rpm with the newer black muffler.

edygert 02-27-2006 01:18 PM

I was hoping that would be the case. I bought the engine from a guy in our local R/C club for $100. It has just barely been broken in. Looking forward to flying it.

bob27s 02-27-2006 02:13 PM

Not bad...... for $100 and in good shape. Always a good thing :)

You will have a honey of a combination there. Been years since I owned a Kougar, but some fond memories :)

The engine is the same size and appx weight of an OS46 (et al) so its a natural fit in the airframe.

Fly the combination with a standard old 10x6 bolted on front, and enjoy it.

(btw... the black muffler is for high rpm use - 18.5K rpm ground peak and higher, typically with the D-1 series racing props - on something like the Kougar, a larger sport prop tends to be more appropriate for balanced performance, in which case the standard red jett-stream muffler is prefered)

Bob

edygert 02-27-2006 02:38 PM

Sounds great! Good to know its a good match. I got the red muffler with the engine so I am all set there. Thanks for the info about the correct prop to use. I downloaded the operating instructions from the web site so that will help too.

Crazy4Flight 02-27-2006 08:55 PM

ORIGINAL: edygert

I was hoping that would be the case. I bought the engine from a guy in our local R/C club for $100. It has just barely been broken in. Looking forward to flying it.
bought?? YOU STOLE IT !!!! :D:D:D

Cyclic Hardover 02-27-2006 10:53 PM

Hey Bob, what was that photo I saw somewhere of a Blue Angels scheme and a jett 50. Was that a Kougar?

edygert 02-28-2006 05:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple of pictures of what I bought. The engine is even signed by Dub (engraved on the bottom). Does he do this with every engine?

edygert 02-28-2006 05:46 AM

I should also mention that the previous owner had the engine installed on a Diamond Dust and loved it.

Mike Connor 02-28-2006 09:37 AM

It looks like you have the SS muffler. It is shorter the the standard and longer then the black. I would not over prop it. An APC 9x8 works well with a static rpm of 18,000+.

bob27s 02-28-2006 10:19 AM

Yeah, as mike noted there....

That is one of the original sport-jett engines from around 1994-1999. Has the SS muffler from the sport-pylon SS40 included. Red spinner nut was usually provided with the earlier model engines.

With the SS muffler you have to prop the engine to run over 17.5K rpm. A 10x6 may be a bit too much, ... but its a .50 - so might work if the engine is in good shape. Worth a try.

But prop it light to start with. The 9x8 is perfect. Once you have some time on the Kougar, try the props you show there (if you have an 7.75 or 8 pitch, use that). Usually the pylon props do not work as well on the sport planes, but sometimes they just work great.

The blue angel plane is on the jett web site in the Hall of Fame. But its a King Kobra with a SJ90 up front. Might give you some color scheme ideas though :)

edygert 02-28-2006 10:20 AM

I looked on the Jett website but I didn't see the SS muffler. What is different between this muffler and the others? I have to admit that I am not as well acquainted with engines and mufflers as I need to be. I read the instructions and follow them as closely as possible but some of the principles escape me such as engine/muffler/prop combination principles. I ask a lot of questions and if RCU wasn't around I would have a tough time figuring some of this stuff out.

edygert 02-28-2006 10:26 AM

Thanks Bob! You answered while I was still typing my question. I'll use the 9x8 prop. Good thing I uploaded the pictures.

I just looked at the hall of fame and you have quite a presence there Mike. I'm going to have to watch your videos.