RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Aussie S1d Pylon Racer (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/4000776-aussie-s1d-pylon-racer.html)

crasharama 03-06-2006 08:52 PM

Aussie S1d Pylon Racer

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,
This is the other plane I have been playing with, it is an S1d class pylon aircraft. S1d is the entry level racing in my state of QLD. We have a state series that goes up & down the east coast every year.

The size of the thing is a 34" fibreglass fuse, with a 48" built up wing. The chord is quite thick for the size at 1.65", but was designed that way to keep them at a resonable speed to learn the art of going around the pylons. The satndard engines used is the OS 46AX, & the Supertigre. Most guys running the Tigre engines are using the older stinger style exhaust, as it seems to give a bit more than the current can type. The test speed that was approved for this racing class was 100mph. Which is noticably slower than the QM40's running after us.The course is the standard FAI short course of & a quick time for 10 laps is 1 min 35.
Normal entries for a round is anywhere up to 30, so it is a good fun day.

Tony.

Flyboy Dave 03-06-2006 09:29 PM

RE: Aussie S1d Pylon Racer

That looks like fun !!! :D

crasharama 03-06-2006 09:38 PM

Yeah Dave,

Its a real blast to fly it every time I take it out there. There is a couple of us just starting out in this class, so we practice every chance we can get. Plus they are small enough to leave set up in a car. I have a pickup so it just rides in the back ready to go...

Forgot to mention, we run straight FAI fuel. 4:1 methonol & castor, no nitro

perttime 03-07-2006 01:57 AM

And it looks much nicer than a Q500.

crasharama 03-07-2006 02:15 AM

Yep,

They don't look like an ugly stick with a V-tail.;)

rmenke 03-07-2006 02:35 PM

crasharama

Looks like a ideal plane for club racers. We fly T-34s (dogs) and kavilers, a little better, and a anything goes (open) class that is rules laden favoring one guy. Would like to see these little birds for sale on the USA side of the pond!

crasharama 03-07-2006 08:38 PM

Hi Rmenke,

I'm sure the guys selling the kits probably would too ;)

They are a bit hard to find initially as it is a bit of a back yard operation for a few guys that make them. You pay $80, ($60 US) for the fuse & a wing core, & a couple sheets of instructions. I also forgot that there is a minimum weight factor of 2kg. (4.4 pounds

There is 1 guy I have heard of that is putting them out ready to go, you just need to put your gear in it & fly for $200, ($149 US). They come any colour you want, so long as it is in white :D

Tony.

perttime 03-08-2006 02:44 AM

http://www.sportsracer.8k.com/
This guy seems to have some sort of an ARF version.
How much is the Australian dollar?

crasharama 03-08-2006 10:23 AM

G'day Perttime,

The Aussie dollar is pretty weak against the Euro, $200 Aus is 123 Euro.

I am not too sure if that website is still active, as I have tried to e-mail the guy before, & it didn't work, but give it a go.

If not then I can find the phone number/ e-mail for the other guy I was talking about in Rockhampton. If you need it I can pm you.

Tony.

perttime 03-08-2006 11:05 AM

Thanks for the offer, Tony, but I am not seriously in the market now. I don't know if anybody else would be interested, though.

I have a few aerobatic designs lined up waiting until we move house in a couple of months. I am not planning to race in the near future and if I want something fast, I'll steal some outlines and put something together out of balsa and/or foam.

crasharama 03-08-2006 12:04 PM

No worries,

Sounds like you are going to be busy...;)