RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Weston TigerShark 150mph+, 150hr build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/4062017-weston-tigershark-150mph-150hr-build.html)

brianbruff 03-21-2006 05:10 AM

Weston TigerShark 150mph+, 150hr build

Hi there,

I've just purchased a TigerShark Kit 150mph+, and a MagnumR 200mph+.

Now granted I've really hardly any experience building kits, I bought my first kit b4 christmass a Raptor30 (and have built/rebuild a few helis in mean time) so my main interest is in helis.. but once i heard someone mention that these planes were the bees knees I found my plane nich.

The only other plane I've got is a Tutor 40 trainer which my better half built same time i was building the raptor. She didn't want to put in the effort to learn how to fly it so i inherited it ( a few hours on the sim and i took out the real think and while they wouldn't be the most fluid flights ever I can fly it and land it, i'll fly the sh1t out of it and then i'll give the tigershart a shot ).

Not this thread is more about building, I've set the background i.e. i've never built a plane (we're talking artf here btw!) but this tiger shark is breaking my heart building it. "just put on the find and landing skit and away u go" I WISH.

I've found that inserting the metal control rods into the snake is next to impossible, and once they are in then it's next to impossible to insert the snakes into the outer sleves, has anyone had the same problem? I've been filing away like crazy hoping not to weaken the snake too much and now i think, i've, at least, a half arsed solution that will work.

Next thing is the fuel tank, the instructions mention two breader pipes (only one supplied!) so i ended up using a bit of fuel tubing to seal the extra hole that i neednt have made. (I think weston are putting a new tank in the kit and never bothered to change the instruction manual).

So basically has anyone had these problems and how did they solve the snake problem? or is it just me?

I had a quick look at the magnumR kit and it seems to have metal rods instead of snakes (praise the lord!)

Cyclic Hardover 03-21-2006 08:55 AM

RE: Weston TigerShark 150mph+, 150hr build

ORIGINAL: brianbruff

Hi'll fly the sh1t out of it and then i'll give the tigershart a shot ).

Did the "it" come out of it yet?

Kostas1 03-22-2006 04:23 PM

The MagnumR has a tricycle gear?[&:]

MJD 03-22-2006 04:51 PM

A Tutor 40 trainer, then on to flying the Tigershark? I think there is a step or two missing in the middle there...

The MagnumR should only take a few hours to assemble at most. However, there are those that recommend installing better control horns than those supplied, me included.

MJD

flyingmachine 03-22-2006 11:23 PM

Hi, Where did ya get the tigershark from? And where did ya get the magnumR from? Who is kitting these?

thanks

Rich

HaveBlue 03-23-2006 02:50 PM

you can find both models here

http://www.westonusa.com/

cheers

Crazy4Flight 03-23-2006 04:35 PM

ORIGINAL: HaveBlue

you can find both models here

http://www.westonusa.com/

cheers

Weston USA has the Magnum not the updated R version

Barry_DVRC 03-23-2006 11:10 PM

Does anyone know what the updates were ?

Thanks

Barry

HaveBlue 03-23-2006 11:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Crazy4Flight

Weston USA has the Magnum not the updated R version
well excuuuuussseee me!

MJD 03-24-2006 01:00 PM

I believe one of the key changes was the wing airfoil, which on the original was apparently more of a flat plate than a skinny real airfoil.

And it's good to know which one you're buying. As it was explained to me, Weston USA has been selling off a large stock of the old version for a while now, and some people don't realize there is an upgraded version.

Barry_DVRC 03-26-2006 12:19 AM

Thank you

Glorfindel 03-26-2006 11:17 AM

I think you will crash both airplanes....You cannot go from a trainer to the Magnum...I dont think you can to it with the tigershark either...They are hand lauch, fast and dont have the 'self recovery' attitude of a trainer...

Good luck!

preduk 06-13-2007 04:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Glorfindel

I think you will crash both airplanes....You cannot go from a trainer to the Magnum...I dont think you can to it with the tigershark either...They are hand lauch, fast and dont have the 'self recovery' attitude of a trainer...

Good luck!

Sup everyone! Although im still only a teenager I have got quite a few years experiance under me, I 100% totaly agree to the quote above, I went from a ripmax trainer, to a simular style plane, the ready2, then went on to bigger stuff but with the same kinda recovary that a trainer has. I have crashed a few times due to being over confident and thinking, how hard can it be? I think you should get something smaller to get you going. I have a Weston Couger2000 there which is just amazing, although i have had some problems with it the plane allows you to do 3D flying and also treat it with speed if you want..its just perfect step..in all honstly you should NOT have been sold or adviced to buy any of them 2 Planes, its just not safe. You like the idea of racing past your self and anyone else doing speeds of 150 MPH - 200 MPH but anything can go wrong, from wind etc and with little experiance its seriously crazy!!...You might want to slow it down and wait a bit mate after all you cannot do anything with these planes interms of stunts and learning to fly..there made for flying fast, thats it!

Anyways...I have a MINI TIGERSHARK i was just wondering if anyone could recon a guess at the speeds i could reach on a flat run. It has a West 36 T1 - Good look man, your in for a shock and i think most people would agree, walk before you can run.

acr007 06-13-2007 06:58 AM

Himm....I would advise like a few others on here against going from Tutor 40 to the two fast planes.

You need a new skill set to fly these planes.

I have a Magnum R with a MVVS 40 Q500 engine and full legth pipe turning 8*8 prop and it deos 150 mph an thtas fast.

The Tiger shark with the 36 will do about 150 mph.

At these speeds you have to have very sharp reflexes and thinking 10 seconds ahead of the flight path you want to fly.

These planes cover a lot of distnce very fast.

The build of the kits is covered on this forum and should be digested for CofG issues, repacing various bits that come in the kit, clevises control rods etc.

Also, upgrade servos to MG versions with higher torgque.

With these planes saftey is paramount, you do not want the plane to lock out or suffer a failure on a low fast pass down the strip.....

But when you are ready they are great planes to fly, love to do big loops and low fast passes with the magnum.

Landing is fun just cut the throttle before on last corner on big curcuit and line her up for the field flick hgh rates and let it sink in and plop it down on the strip and slide allong to lose remaining speed.

Also , there is no harm in using a buddy box and an experienced pilot to get you going.

preduk 06-13-2007 08:50 AM

Hay man, Im not saying im in-experianced i was just pointing to the fella the problems. I think you have covered everything lol :P is it possible to link me to the upgrade for the servos to MG versions with higher torgque and rod's etc please =D thanks in advance. Any images or videos to share??

Rudeboy 06-13-2007 06:12 PM

ORIGINAL: brianbruff

Next thing is the fuel tank, the instructions mention two breader pipes (only one supplied!) so i ended up using a bit of fuel tubing to seal the extra hole that i neednt have made. (I think weston are putting a new tank in the kit and never bothered to change the instruction manual).

Why would you need two "breather lines"...? You need one clunk line, and one vent line (or pressure line if you prefer).

combatpigg 06-13-2007 08:05 PM

I don't see what the big deal about 150 mph is.......if your plane is set up right, 150 is boring.

glowplug50 06-29-2007 10:20 AM

150 boring, maybe when your just flying helter skelter around the sky making a low pass from time to time to impress your buds. Try flying laps 20 to 30 feet off of the ground for 1 minute or so with 7 second laps. And just for fun, stand at the end of the course and fly around your self and 8 other guys and three more planes going around you 20 feet away.

Boring, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

Ricky2000 07-02-2007 06:25 AM

Two breather lines can be useful when you cannot fill the tank via the carb feed line.
If you only have one breather and you fill through it then you will flood the crankcase with fuel.
Use two breathers - one connected to the pressure nipple and the other blanked off but used to allow air to escape when filling via pressure line.
My opinion anyway.