RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   My new speed plane (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/4137158-my-new-speed-plane.html)

Brecht1 04-07-2006 04:25 PM

My new speed plane

1 Attachment(s)
hello guys,

This is my new Speed Cobra, powerd with an 91 vr-df. What do you guys think of it ?

Greetings

Brecht

Mike Connor 04-07-2006 05:40 PM

RE: My new speed plane

I like it. What prop is that? Are you going to use a spinner and engine cowl?

soarrich 04-07-2006 09:08 PM

Beautiful plane. You just gotta think that pipe makes a huge amount of drag. I'd be thinking a 1/4 wave pipe or magic muffler.

Are you going to radar it?

Rudeboy 04-07-2006 09:46 PM

What prop are you running on that thing...?

With a good prop it should be good for at least 200 out of a dive.
But, while the speed cobra is a great plane to start out with (cheap speed), it will never really compete in events like the one in Osnabrück in september... just like my Stinger .40, it will be there for fun (I hope)... I don't even think about a ranking when going there with my stuff. I just hope to see some really insane speeds, engines and planes there...

Would you mind running your speed cobra against my stinger 40 for pink slips...? I'm just using an old BSE Jett .50.... shouldn't be a problem, should it...? :D

By the way: do you happen to fly in Helchteren at the PMF field?

combatpigg 04-07-2006 11:39 PM

That's a great looking plane! How big is it and how much does it weigh?

Sky Dart1 04-08-2006 07:43 AM

COOOOOL:D
I've got to agree, though, you are in desparate need of a spinner and a smaller pipe or a good cowling.

CP: you ever fly that red speed plane you were working on?

rmenke 04-09-2006 12:06 PM

Brecht:

Vary interestilng! I have two of those motors in the cabinet waiting for a home. I have been told the vr df will not pull a decent prop and has no torque, only rpm. The Bergmister says they are ok with 5% max nitro and 10 X 10 prop, looking for nor more than 22,000 in stock form. Now, that sounds great to me when most 90s will do no more than 15k in stock form. Please give us a report on your maden flight as to prop selection, ground rpm and how she did overall. Will the thing turn like in pylon? This has got to be the ultimate club scooter! ENJOY

slowmo777 04-09-2006 12:09 PM

Hello,

the ole Speed Cobra is definitely a “beginners” speed plane, very easy to fly and to land. The construction was made in the 70’s here in Germany. Very wide fuselage, much too fat for todays competition. Not to mention the 12% wing. But the main “problem” is the missing engine+pipe cowl making the plane quite slow for the offered 5 HP. You’re flying against an unseeable “wall” while trying to make it considerable faster. Hence some speed people (also the pilots themselves) call this plane a “piggy” over here. :D

@Brecht1: You need to shorten that carbon APC clone to at least 9” in diameter to get the needed 20 thousand rpm at the ground. Good luck!

Brecht1 04-10-2006 03:14 PM

Hello,

The props that I use are 10x10 apc props in carbon fiber. Maybe I will test an 8x12 prop on it. Yes, I have a spinner, but I must change it a little bit to make it fit.
Until now I did 2 flights with this Cobra. I know it's not the fastest speed plane, but to make some speed fun it's a really nice plane.

@rudeboy: Yes, I fly in Helchteren at PMF. And you ?

Greetings Brecht

slowmo777 04-12-2006 04:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Brecht1

Hello,

The props that I use are 10x10 apc props in carbon fiber. Maybe I will test an 8x12 prop on it.
Hello Brecht,

the Speed Cobra will be faster with a 9x10 than with an 8x12 sized prop.

Regards

slomo