RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   F-15 ? protech (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/4205704-f-15-protech.html)

teg-1 04-25-2006 04:27 PM

F-15 ? protech

Anybody know anything about this plane?
Is it fast?
I have one on the way but not sure of what engine to put in it and if it is even capable
of high speed flight.
Thanks in advance....................

bob27s 04-26-2006 08:38 AM

RE: F-15 ? protech

I have the F-15 I picked up for some experimenting at the Toledo show.

The ARF build and covering is very nice. Straight, things fit together very well.

Should be fairly quick with the right engine on the front.

My Jett BSE-30 will be on the nose of it here within the next few weeks, time permitting.

Of note, Im building mine with accomdations for landing gear. Just using Q-500 carbon gear on the mains, and a nose strut mounted in the engine mount. I will see how that goes, but I will likely fly the bird gearless as designed, most of the time.

All of the protech kits I looked at were of the same good quality. They have a Laser Arrow that looked real nice too.

teg-1 04-26-2006 04:27 PM

Thanks for the reply.
Let me know how the motor works and if you think that will be the best one or another size and i will go ahead
and order one for mine. I will forgo the landing gear unless some issues crop up by not using them.
I will watch for your post.
Thanks...................

bob27s 04-27-2006 09:38 AM

Good deal.

No doubt at all the Jett 30 is going to haul it.

The plane is light weight. Any good 25-32 size engine will fit well, and likely fly it very well.

They show an LA25 on the instructions and on the box.

Bob

ArthurD 04-27-2006 07:44 PM

Bob,

Did you have trouble balancing your F-15?

Mine seems to want a lot of weight in the tail to come out on the balance spec. Something like 6-8 oz which is way too much. I'm using a OS25FX which wouldn't seem to be more heavy then the designer anticipated.

bob27s 04-28-2006 09:02 AM

Im not quite that far along, but I can see where the nose weight might be a problem. Nose heavy is an issue you have to deal with on any of these scale looking prop jets.

The new Cermark F-16 has nearly everything mounted in the engine nozzle now.

My plan is actually to use a pair of mini servos for the elevators - mounted in the back. That should help. Battery pack will be back there too.

buddude8 04-28-2006 04:49 PM

hey bob can you post some pics up of the kit. Ive got a os25fx laying around that needs a home and this kit looks like it could be the one.

ken

ArthurD 04-28-2006 06:11 PM

Bob,
I've written Protech to get their reaction to the balance problem. It's hard to believe they are shipping ARF's that balance with that much weight in the very back of the plane.

I'll let you know what they say.

teg-1 04-28-2006 06:41 PM

My kit was just delivered by the Toy truck.
Looks good, i think hand launching is going to be a little of a concern
The body is a little wide for a firm grip.
Wonder how a norvel .25 would work in this baby?
I found one that i had laying around for another project that was sold long ago.

ArthurD 04-29-2006 02:59 PM

Yeah, they do look really good. The Norvell is light and that's good since the OS25FX is too heavy for easy balanace. What that plane really needs is something a lot bigger than a .25. It's not a small, light plane. When we find out why it's so nose heavy maybe we'll also know how to put a larger engine in it.

ArthurD 04-29-2006 03:04 PM

Bob,
The Laser Arrow is a really good flying plane. You'll love it. With the Jett 32 it should be a lot of fun. I bought a Mach Racer and quickly got rid of it. It didn't handle nearly as good as the LA. BTW, the stainless steel strip from the inside of a auto windshield wiper works well on the edge of the bottom fin to protect it.

How about a report?

bob27s 05-01-2006 09:57 AM

I will try and get a few photos this week. Been up to my ears in domestic stuff :)

Ive no idea on the balance yet. Have to play with the airplane some more - in other words- finish assembling it.

But the CG looks reasonable. My guess is they intended the plane for the LA25, or some of the higher end 15-21 size engines.

buddude8 05-01-2006 02:15 PM

thanks , no hurry

LDM 05-01-2006 07:24 PM

I dont know anything about this plane , the only thing I know is that on the Protech webiste they also have an SE5A for $269 ,
The exact same plane can be purchased on Ebay on average for under $100 with $34 in shipping .
So you may get lucky and see if you can find the plane on e-bay

Big Daddy-RCU 05-06-2006 06:51 PM

Has anyone flown this F-15 yet?? Like to know how this jet is.
What size engine are you using?

ArthurD 05-07-2006 12:34 PM

B D,

I'm building this plane and using an OS25FX. I'm ready to balance it but I'm stumped. It won't balance anywhere near the CG of 210 - 225mm rearward of the fuse/wing referance point without a half-pound in the very rear of the fuse. That's a lot of weight for a plane of this size and weight and only a 25 size engine.

I contacted Protech and was told the balance point should really be 180mm. That's some help but now I'm wondering what's really the correct CG poing.

Has anyone actually flown this thing? What did you think?

ArthurD 05-07-2006 12:37 PM

Bob,
That won't be enough to make it balance unless I have a different ARF than yours.

Keep us posted about how you solve this problem. I'm ready to fly except for balance.

tuskegee pilot 05-14-2006 03:43 PM

Hey Arthur:

I have been looking at the F-15 by Protech as well. It seems pretty fast. How is Jacksonville?

Tim in VA
your old flying buddy

ArthurD 05-14-2006 08:29 PM

Hello Tim!!!

Good to hear from you.

The Protech is ready to go flying except I can't get the balance figured out. It's way nose heavy and I'm not getting help from Protech. The book says 210 to 225 mm, but some guy at the factory said 180 mm. That's still a lot of weight needed to make it balance even at the 180 mm spot.

I'm waiting on someone else to fly it so I won't crash mine. Would you like to do that and report to everyone?? We'd all appreciate it.

teg-1 05-17-2006 02:31 PM

Has anybody got the balance issues figured out yet? and if so what is the C/G per the instructions, or 180mm?
What about engine? Speed? and does it fly or is it a pig in a poke?
Thanks...........

Rubbie 05-17-2006 02:46 PM

Can you share the website please?

Thanks

bob27s 05-17-2006 03:06 PM

gonna be a while until I get mine in the air - some other priorities - but what I put together so far fit nicely

Razor-RCU 05-17-2006 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the website> [link=http://imex-protechusa.com/detail.aspx?ID=292]Click Me[/link]

Looks good but the CG issue is troubling- Did they ever fly a prototype? If so, where was the CG?

Anxiously awaiting a report from anyone- :)

ArthurD 05-17-2006 07:36 PM

Here's the Protech e-mail address ............. [email protected]

He's been ignoring my repeated requests for information about CG. Maybe if a few dozen others jump his case he will be a little more responsive

ArthurD 05-17-2006 07:37 PM

Here's the Protech e-mail address ............. [email protected]

He's been ignoring my repeated requests for information about CG. Maybe if a few dozen others jump his case he will be a little more responsive.

Mine has been sitting idle waiting on information. I'm afraid to fly it!!!