RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   FIRST FLIGHTS OF MODIFIED D.D. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/4265239-first-flights-modified-d-d.html)

AIRFREAK-1 05-11-2006 01:41 AM

FIRST FLIGHTS OF MODIFIED D.D.

The first flights were very successful with speeds in the 190 mph range. Airframe is fully sheeted and foam filled to the high point on the leading edge and 2 inches of trailing edge. Leading edge is swept to 50 degrees with 1/2 inch extensions full length for a 1/8 inch radius. Wing tips and trailing edge taper down to a sharp edge with .007 by 1/4" carbon fiber inlaid around entire airframe except the leading edges which are .018 by 1/8". Vertical fins were relocated to the middle of each wing,and also reduced in size, inlaid with carbon fiber,and sanded to a sharp edge all around. Center section is sheeted with 1/16" plywood for extra strength,and didn't add much weight. Engine is Jett 60 FIRE with .075 longer con rod,sleeve raised .075 with custom spacer,exhaust timing raised to 180 degrees,bottom of piston&sleeve notched to open up the boost port,a modified OS91FX carb,and a MACS 11cc pipe with a strait header I made from a MACS Super tigre 45X. Top RPM is 20,400 with APC 8.8-9.75 cut down to 8"diameter,and fuel is Wildcat 15% with 4oz. of racing castor oil added. Fuel tank is 6oz. bladder tank,Hi-tec super slim 8 ch.rx with 2 635's on elevons,one 225 on throttle,and a 1000 MAH battery pack.The engine is going a little rich when it unloads,so there is still more speed in it when I get the carb sorted out. I did shoot some video of it,and will post as soon as I can.I will answer any questions that anyone has. Regards to all, Scott Romine.

AIRFREAK-1 05-11-2006 03:42 AM

RE: FIRST FLIGHTS OF MODIFIED D.D.

BTW I forgot to mention that I use a 3 wheeled r/c launch cart with its own rx,batt. pack,and a steering servo which is operated with the rudder stick,and a release servo that is operated with up elevator.I will show it in the video.

Mike Connor 05-11-2006 06:53 PM

What was the finished weight of the plane? How much weight did you add to the tail to balance? That is a Jett 60 case and not the 60LX, right? How did you measure speed? I will be waiting for the video but a couple of still pics would be nice until then.

AIRFREAK-1 05-12-2006 12:33 AM

Finished weight is 4lbs 1oz and did not need tail weight. I had to put the battery between the engine and the fuel tank because the increased wing sweep and foam filling made it tail heavy.The engine was originally a 60L FIRE and weights 13.5oz.(ABC version).Speed was measured by time over distance.Average of 3 passes was 1.05 seconds which calculates to 194.805 MPH.Of course this not completely accurate,but it's a good starting point.I do'nt have any still pictures,but I'll post a video as soon as I can.

combatpigg 05-12-2006 02:41 AM

Congratulations, undoubtedly a pretty awesome combo! The distance over time deal gets pretty tough the faster you go, you're doing roughly 300 feet per second at 200 mph [quick math in head] The observers need to be stationed directly in the flight path at the set distance to eliminate perspective error, plus a pole set at 90 degrees to serve as a reference for the observer is needed too. I think to increase accuracy, the distance needs to be moved up to 1/8th mile, [660 ft] which is still a manageable distance.

MyWay 05-12-2006 10:10 AM

Job well done. Who said deltas are not capable of flying fast?.

cobratraxxas69 05-14-2006 12:52 AM

That seems like the hottest set-up I've ever seen in a dust.....can't wait to see the video :D