RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   best muffler for a super tiger .90 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/4294867-best-muffler-super-tiger-90-a.html)

foxtrot 05-19-2006 09:50 AM

best muffler for a super tiger .90

any good alternatives for the super tiger tiger .90 besides the stock one?

HaveBlue 05-19-2006 10:22 AM

RE: best muffler for a super tiger .90

for a boost in rpm you can either get a muffler from Jett engineering or the ultrathrust muffler..anything has to be better than the stock unit..I know I have one and it's butt ugly!!(imo)
worst of all is i have a spare jett muffler from one of my 90L's which will use a mac's pipe and I still havent swapped them over[X(]

cncswiss1 05-19-2006 01:46 PM

I mad e a big ole MCP for mine after the backhalf of the muffler went to the great beyond to join all the socks I am missing (fell off in flight)

I used the stack from the stock muffler and fabricated a MCP to fit, using a BIG mousse can obtained by bugging the ladies at the local hair salon.

bob27s 05-19-2006 02:35 PM

foxtrot,

what type of aircraft is the engine going to be used on? Sport? Scale? Aerobatics?

The jett-stream JS-90 muffler mentioned is a good choice. The ultra-thrust muffler is also another good selection. Both are tuned mufflers. Makes the engine perform beyond what you will get with a stock muffler, nice neat package, does not fall apart, fairly light weight - no worries. No adapter required for the Jett muffler - and im pretty sure the UT muffler is a direct bolt-on as well.

here is a similar Jett-Stream install on an OS91FX
http://www.jettengineering.com/accy/...1-nose-300.jpg

For scale use, there are Bisson and Slimline mufflers available. However ask around a bit on their setup. Some of the configurations do not provide sufficient backpressure, and the engine performance may be erratic.

I hope this is helpful

Bob

foxtrot 05-20-2006 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
will be for a great planes F-4 phantom[img][/img]

Flew it today with a 12X8 prop....good power, flew great at 3/4-full throttle, but that muffler....really robs all the power of the engine! Definitly needs a better one!

foxtrot 05-20-2006 06:19 PM

I just ordered the jetstream muffler.....thanks all!

HaveBlue 05-20-2006 08:49 PM

I just tried bolting my Jett muffler onto the engine..and..
1) I have a vmar F4 phantom.. I need an 1/4" extension, which I have but the jett muffler uses larger diameter bolts, so you will need to
a) either drill out the holes bigger in the casting from the head
b) get longer screws of the same diameter as the stock ST ones and secure with nuts.

I'm planning on some tach tests later today
1) standard muffler
2) jett stream muffler
3) mac's tuned pipe
the mac's pipe will have to be tuned in, but I might run out of time on that one

foxtrot 05-20-2006 10:06 PM

im hoping i dont need an extention....i am getting about 11,200 with the stock muffler and 15% fuel, with a 12x8 prop.....

HaveBlue 05-20-2006 10:20 PM

I run a MA 12 X 8 scimitar prop on mine ST G90, but while breakin in really rich she was taching at 12400 rpm, , I have run a few more tanks thru , but still not fully broken in, I plan to tach my engine today...if I can find those gaskets I bought for the muffler..mine vibrated off and burnt the gasket, ...just having trouble locating the packet of new ones I bought a few months back

I forgot to mention I run home brew and use only 5%... your specs dont sound right to me..but I'm no expert in these matters

HaveBlue 05-21-2006 05:55 AM

well I got it all ready today to get some tach figures, finally found my packet of muffler gaskets so off I went... for some reason and a first time for this engine, all it keep doing was streaming fuel out of the carb, dried her out, she kicked a couple of times, I first tried back flip off compression.. then I needed about three band aids to stop the bleeding.. so I got my trusty old starter out and , blow me down a near flat g cell battery but not before getting a few compression locks and having my prop ding up my spinner as the I've just discovered another slight weakness in my Vmar F4 the cone kept slipping onto the prop, I was sort of wondering what the metallic sound was.... man I should have stayed indoors today[:o]

MattyC-130 05-21-2006 05:51 PM

My 91FX with APC 12x8 15% cool power went from 12k to 13k with addition of Ultra Thrust muffler.

speedster 1919 05-30-2006 05:27 AM

Haveblue Don't even think about using a gasket. Just clean exhaust surfaces with alchohol and use RTV silicone ,I like gray color. Let cure for 24 hours and not have to worry about leaking and getting lose again.