RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Jett powered anyone? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/4314831-jett-powered-anyone.html)

Razor-RCU 05-25-2006 10:23 AM

Jett powered anyone?

I just wanted to start a Jett thread for anything Jett related. Maybe an airplane you have now that has a Jett up front, a project where a Jett will be used, Jett Stream muffler results, a fantasy with a Jett etc. I keep running into folks at the field who have never seen or heard of "Jett" engines or Dubb Jett, this depresses me.

The purpose will be twofold:

1. Motivate
2. Educate

So whaddya got that is (or is going to be) Jett powered?

**If you do not own a Jett, please explain yourself because there is NO reason for that to be the case** ;) and NO, an OS-46 with a Jett Stream muffler is not even close to the performance of a Jett-50, been there thought that :)

daven 05-25-2006 11:14 AM

RE: Jett powered anyone?

Hangar 9 Corsair with a Jett .90
"Custom" Eindecker with a Jett .50

I see a Jett Q40 motor in my future.

GREAT Engines.

funflyerf4 05-25-2006 04:28 PM

Right now F-16 cermark and V mar f-4 both with a 90lx Also have two Great Planes F-15s both have os 46s The os just does not cut it.What do you think? Jett 50 or the 60?

Razor-RCU 05-25-2006 04:38 PM

60Xl is the new word from Bob! Same case as the others... ($350)

crasharama 05-25-2006 06:03 PM

Ok,
F20 #1 had the SJ50 up front. F20 #2 will have the same SJ50, but will order the SS muffler for it soon to give it some more push.

Tony.:D

buddude8 05-25-2006 06:21 PM

cermark f-16 jett90lx
cermark alley cat jett 90lx with extensions
gp little toni jett90l with extensions
dc f-20 jett50
kange f-3d jett50 with black pipe
gp viper with jett50

working on protech f-15 os32sx using jett stream muffler
I still have all the planes and have never had a problem with any of the jett engines.

for a comparison of the 90 i also have a gp shoestring with a os91fx and it doesnt even come close to my planes with the jett 90

ken

rmenke 05-25-2006 08:16 PM

Jett Owners:

Yea, get the black SS muffler, is worth about 1000-1500 rpms on first use, still rich. Sadly. unusual noise (unlike I have ever heard) panicked pilot, cut engine and came in to high for the very clean Zoomer to slow down. Made 600-700' along the runway at about 10' high, then came the fence. Still had enough speed to hop over the fence. Then lost visibility until the old crunch. Snapped the glass fuse in half, wing ok with a dent. Am now repainting the fuse, hope I got it streight. Never know until it flys again. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh poop. Back to the paint shed for another coat of glasskoat.

Crazy4Flight 05-25-2006 11:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Hi, my name is Bob, and I am a Jett Engine Addict.
I have been a Lover of Jett Engines for 4 years,
and with the help of the Revvers Brother-hood I hope to
make my planes even FASTER !!!
Don't let myGirlfriend see this....I promised her I
would "tame it down a bit!". : ( heh heh heh )

SO I BOUGHT A JETT FIRE 30 BSE !!!

And on a need to know Basis on Ebarf my name is Jettfreak58

SIG Kobra with retracts! Jett SS40
UK Magnum Jett Sport 50
WildHare LR-1 Jett Sport 50
ACM WhiplashX aka Spydman Jett FIRE 50
Seagull F-20 Tigershark Jett Sport 50
G.P. F-4 Phantom Jett 1.20

NIB waiting for an airframe... 60 LX FIRE and my newest is a 30 FIRE BSE

The F-20 got a donor Sport 50 from my purple Whiplash not pictured.
Whiplash Pict #3 2nd row was a first run whip with FIRE 50.

Crazy4Flight 05-25-2006 11:53 PM

Me thinks I forgot a plane or two....

One Whiplash with a Sport 50 AAC....went AWOL, reciever failure.

HaveBlue 05-26-2006 02:14 AM

my Jett engine list as follows

AKM SU27 w/ SJ 90L/ Jett stream muffler .....not built yet but here
Juno F/A 18 Hornet w/ SJ 90L/ Macs tunned pipe.....as above
Juno F20 w/ SJ 46 / jett stream muffler..... as above
Vmar F4 Phantom St G90/ Jett stream muffler

future....
Supersonic (glider) w / SJ 60LX/ tuned pipe

Mods-R-Me 05-26-2006 07:21 AM

I just got into the speed realm and thanks to RCU I learned about the awesomeness (?) of a Jett engine. I'm building a AKM SU-27 that will have a SJ-90L up front. From all the praise that I hear it should haul a#@. It's true some people have never heard about the Jett series of engines. At my club, I tell people of the awesome engine that I got for my new propjet and get a bunch of blank stares (Jett?? What's that?) [:o]. Oh well, they'll know what a Jett is once I finish it and bust 100mph going straight and level :D.

Mods

huey-pilot 05-26-2006 07:26 AM

Jett FIRE 60 LX on a Diamond Dust and a Jett FIRE 46 that will probably go on my Prather Little Toni.

bob27s 05-26-2006 08:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Mods-R-Me

I just got into the speed realm and thanks to RCU I learned about the awesomeness (?) of a Jett engine. I'm building a AKM SU-27 that will have a SJ-90L up front. From all the praise that I hear it should haul a#@. It's true some people have never heard about the Jett series of engines. At my club, I tell people of the awesome engine that I got for my new propjet and get a bunch of blank stares (Jett?? What's that?) [:o]. Oh well, they'll know what a Jett is once I finishing it and bust 100mph going straight and level :D.

Mods
Wow.... this is a heck of a thread !! [&:]

Word of mouth is good enough advertising. And the small ad in Model Aviation and the banners here on RCU are all there really is to advertise the engines, mufflers and products. Occationally someone wants serious power, and will find out where to get it. Dub tends to sell more engines than he can build anyway :)

As an example - take a look a Rich's SU-27 video (caution - big file - needs broadband or DSL) (thanks MD)

http://www.jettengineering.com/video/su27baker.wmv

And keep in mind, this was one of the earlier flights - flown a great deal at part throttle due to a rudder-flutter issue (problem long since eliminated).

If you watch closely at the beginning, the engine is started simply by flipping the spinner back onto compression, and it fires right up. :) The idle, transition, top end, and user-friendliness of the SJ-90L engine are simply second to none :)

MJD 05-26-2006 09:21 AM

Holy Schlamoley Bob, that's a 47mB video file... dial-up need not apply! [X(]

I'm pretty sad in comparison to you guys, I have a Whiplash with an SJ50. That's it [:o]. But having instantly converted, seen the light, etc., I am dreaming of and scrounging for a 60LX. For now I vicariously live the life of a multi-Jett owner by telling everyone else they should own one.

I only get to buy about one new engine a year. Problem is my wife has seen my engine collection before, and one is the same as the other to her ("why can't you just use that one??? :eek: sigh..) and she thinks money is better spent on silly things like fixing the deck, renovating our bedroom, paying off the mortgage, that sort of thing. Women.. sheesh.

Cheers,

MJD

Razor-RCU 05-26-2006 12:02 PM

Yup- I am a HUGE proponent of Jett engines yet I only have 1 (SJ-50 in a Patriot) heck it has even been rebuilt by a Jett guy... I bought it off flea-bay and it was fried [X(]

I got a secondhand whip and would like to put the SJ-50 in her and get a 60LX for my Patriot-

Nowhere on the planet will you find an engine with such awesome peformance, that ALSO provides awesome customer service! (Bob27, Dubb etc.) It is just soo rare!

My hat is off to all y'all who push your airframes to the limit with the Jett's up front. :D

For some reason my wife thinks I should find a job BEFORE I buy a $350 engine.... Simply unreasonable I think...

crasharama 05-26-2006 05:42 PM

I forgot to mention this before,

A guy at my club has a BSE 35 on an old timer, on a few cc's of fuel its out of sight in about 5 secs !!!!:D:D

angelrcdesign 05-26-2006 09:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
SJ.50(XL) SS muffler, on my Rifle V-tail.

I have A video that in my computer BUT can not down load HELP!!!!!

1 Rifle,
1 T-38

Strykaas 05-30-2006 03:24 PM

My first Jett .50 is waiting in his box on a shelve, upstairs. Plan is to install it at the front of my Patriot (collector, still NIB). I'm not in a hurry, but my plan is to over impress my club mates with this machine ... After playing around a bit with it, my NIB Magnum will probably receive the engine too !

[Sport Jett .50 std muffler.]

Hot Rod Todd 05-30-2006 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jett .46 in a Great Planes Viper. Moves along well with a 9X8 prop.

buddude8 05-30-2006 05:56 PM

email me the video and i will post it

ken

ORIGINAL: angelrcdesign

SJ.50(XL) SS muffler, on my Rifle V-tail.

I have A video that in my computer BUT can not down load HELP!!!!!

1 Rifle,
1 T-38

jon_focal_plane 05-31-2006 02:05 AM

Engine A/C
90LX-BSE Patriot XL
90LX-BSE King Kobra
90LX Minnow
50BSE Viper
46BSE-FIRE Scat Cat
60LX Well, I've had it in two Magnums and I can't get past the first flight. Maybe it'll go
on an Avistar.

Jonathan

Razor-RCU 05-31-2006 02:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Jon- I had my 1st Jett-50 in a Scat Cat! Lets just say it was purty quick...

What happened with your magnums?

jon_focal_plane 06-01-2006 12:01 AM

Ah, my Magnums.

The first was clear cut. First flight, I roll out, trim up and turn back in. A sudden uncommanded pitch up followed by the wing separating from the fuse. The wing was wholly undamaged as it fluttered to the ground. The fuse was not so lucky as it went into the ballistic trajectory of a lawn dart. I had plenty of time to wiggle the sticks and finally shut down the engine before impact. I believe there may have also been some colorful metaphors uttered as well. The failure mechanism was quite clear. The wing dowel was missing, not broken but completely missing. Wherever these pups were made, the dude gluing the wing dowels must have had an extra good cigarette break. I thought I had even gone over it with CA but must not have.

The 60LX was not badly damaged, a quick trip to Dub, a new front bearing and spinner, good as new.

The second Magnum, an R version lasted about the same twenty seconds but determining root cause was not so clear. After roll out, and pitch trim adjustment, I turned it back home and it went into a spiral dive that I couldn't recover from. Either of two things happened. 1- Radio interference from a nearby carnival caused control issues (several pilots reported unusual hits that day) or 2- I let the plane get too far out and lost orientation. From the recovered wreckage, I could not detect any mechanical failure or electrical failure. As time goes by, I lean more towards lost orientation but it is not a very satisfying conclusion.

The 60LX is whole again and waiting for a new home.

Jonathan

Razor-RCU 06-01-2006 09:49 AM

Dang Carnies!

glad to hear the Jett is ok-

Crazy4Flight 06-01-2006 04:07 PM

ORIGINAL: jon_focal_plane

Ah, my Magnums.

The 60LX is whole again and waiting for a new home.

Jonathan
Jonathan,

Don't forget to get that reciever checked out!