RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   How do you guys clip a propeller? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/4602034-how-do-you-guys-clip-propeller.html)

cobratraxxas69 08-09-2006 12:03 PM

How do you guys clip a propeller?

What do you guys use to clip a prop? I was imagining pruning shears;) or aviation snips? What about hack saws?

How do you measure accurately the amount to trim off of both sides (and keep that exactly the same for both sides)??

Thanks,

cobra

Kmot 08-09-2006 12:34 PM

RE: How do you guys clip a propeller?

Cobra,

I have trimmed several different sized props in the past to use them as "test clubs" when breaking in an engine. I used a fine tooth razor saw and miter box. The typical hobby tool you get at any hobby shop. The fine tooth razor saw makes a nice clean cut. To be sure about the exact measurement, get a dowel that fits the prop tightly and mark the exact center. Now get your school compass and mark both edges of the prop to the diameter you want it to be. The pencil mark will have a slight curve to it, and also when you cut it in the miter box you need to press the prop against the side of the box to keep it tight while cutting and so the tip of the modified prop will not be exactly square but will be close enough. You can always round the edges afterward if you like. Be sure to rebalance the prop when you are finished.

bob27s 08-09-2006 01:41 PM

ORIGINAL: cobratraxxas69

What do you guys use to clip a prop? I was imagining pruning shears;) or aviation snips? What about hack saws?

Well..... sometimes it is pretty much that simple ..... for something that is not going to fly, Ive even used diagnal cutters [&:] Then of course, balanced the prop.

Usually, a razor saw works well, along with one of those colorful emery boards the wife uses for finish clean-up.

Measure as carefully as possible - no need to be super-precise .001 accurate when cutting. The method using a dowel as a center that Kmot noted is what I prefer. I actually have a pencil-marking device that clamps on to my prather pitch gauge, and I use the mount/center from that as a base.

A compass does work very well. Although sometimes I just use a 6" ruler and measure from the center hole (back side of the hub center on an APC). Important here, not a good idea to measure inward from the blade tip.

Cut it a bit long (leave the pencil mark). Sand down the remain distance, and round/taper/clean up the edges as required using sand paper or an emery board. I take a moment during that process to put the prop on the balancer to make sure it is at least close.

The most important part of all is to finish balance the prop when you are done. You can sand the tip a little bit if needed, or if you are certain the diameter/blades match up, sand the face of the blade a bit.

Bob

daven 08-09-2006 01:48 PM

I measure and put my marks on each tip, buzz it off within 1/16" on my band saw, go to my power sander and slowly sand down to the line. Clean up with sandpaper, balance, and fly.