RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Anyone put retracts on Force One (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/461226-anyone-put-retracts-force-one.html)

mugenkidd 01-05-2003 05:44 AM

Anyone put retracts on Force One

Hello all, I have a balsa usa force one, I really like this plane it is fast and can take off of a grass field no problem. However I think it looks so goofy with the gear hanging down while doing high low speed passes, looks like fast landings to me. I was thinking of doing retracts on it an was wondering if anyone has tried this and could maybe share some advise and or pics.

Thanks

Mugenkidd

wingspan99 01-07-2003 02:47 PM

Retracts

I know what you mean about the look of it, I have a Force One with a video camera up front. Talk about funny looking. I think retracts would be great on this plane. I would use 25 size retracts though, they're lighter and the plane is so compact that 40 size retracts would be overkill. I would also use pylon racing wheels on the rear so that the wheel wells wouldn't have to be very deep. The front retract would be easy. If you really want to improve the look of the Force One you have to mount the engine differently. The engine mount I used is an improvement. First of all, side mount the engine so the head doesn't stick up. Second, eliminate the ugly engine mount. I used the backplate screws of the engine for mounting. Just use longer screws and some thread locking compound when you put it on. When putting the fuse on the wing, adjust the distance of the firewall to the prop slot for the perfect backplate fit.
I used a side exhaust OS 46 FX with a Mac's muffler at first, and this looked a lot better but if you were to sink a tuned pipe or better yet a Mouse Can Pipe into the bottom of the fuse at least half way, a standard length Mac's header would fit it fine. I'm getting 14.8k rpm on my OS46FX with a 10x6 APC pusher on a Mousse Can Pipe I made that hangs underneath. The nice thing is that the stinger exits the rear of the pipe so the plane runs relatively clean now compared to a muffler. It runs 500rpm stronger than the Mac's muffler too.
I think it's going 125mph now, although speeds higher than 100mph are hard to judge. It's definitely faster with the MCP. The other thing that should be done is a bit of cowling around the engine, just to hide the engine. I've been thinking of taking the "bird-head" shape out of the fuse too, and bring the nose to a point with a canopy like the Enforcer. I swept the tail fins back like the Enforcer too, and added dual rudders which puts the thing into a wicked blender and slow descent spin.
If I was going to do it again I would probably put retracts in it, side mount the engine, cowl the engine, sink the MCP halfway into the fuse, modify the nose with clear canopy, and give it smaller vertical fins. The nosegear might have to be offset a bit from the MCP but it could be done. It's not a bad plane, maybe a little draggy compared to a Dust but it's got that Mig 25 look when I stand it on a wingtip 20' off the deck.
There's a few pics of it on my website:
Force One Videoplane

mugenkidd 01-07-2003 06:24 PM

WOW

thanks wingspan, that was more info than I thought I would ever get on this thread. I am going to do exactly what you said I never thought about using the pylon wheels that a super idea, I also love the way you mounted the engine I will definately have to do that mod. If I can get this project done in the next few months I will definately have to send you some pics. Thanks again.

wingspan99 01-07-2003 11:24 PM

You're welcome

It's nice to be able to share info like this. The side mount is really good, even if you just put the muffler below the plane. I got so much more power with the MCP I doubt I'll ever use a muffler again. I'll probably just sell the mufflers and buy headers.
Please do keep my email address or post the pics here, I like to see the finished project with my ideas implemented.