RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Phoenix F-20-The Gutting Begins (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/4657355-phoenix-f-20-gutting-begins.html)

Cyclic Hardover 08-22-2006 09:46 PM

Phoenix F-20-The Gutting Begins

Well I took it out of the box, looked it over and ripped off all the covering. The insides look pretty good, Retracts don't look like a real issue here. Going to rebuild those two ribs right by the old strut blocks. The gear will be extended widthwise a couple inches. Should make take offs a bit more stable.

I am cutting off each wing down to the first rib. About 4 inches each side. I have a set of spring airs laying around somewhere that I think I will go with. I always do the engines last so I have plenty of time for that but it will be a 90 for sure. I was planning on a G90 but maybe "Santa" will get me another Jett.

As far as a color. At the moment I am going with a grayish military theme with a solid white undercarriage. I still have the elevators from my old Cermark that Flyboy and I stuffed due to flutter. These Phoenix elevator ar darn near half the size so I think I'll leave them alone for now. Looks like a good plane. Going to be my "fall" project and hope to have it ready to go in January.

crasharama 08-23-2006 04:19 AM

RE: Phoenix F-20-The Gutting Begins

good luck, it will be interesting...

vicman 08-23-2006 07:28 AM

Share a bunch of pics when you get to the nose gear! The wing is the easy part.

Cyclic Hardover 08-23-2006 09:45 AM

After getting up this morning, looking at the plane, "what did I do?". For my next trick, I decided to cut out those two ribs that hold the original strut mounting block in and just go for a clean and simple fix, I am going to trace them out on 3/32 plywood and make new ribs and cut out 1/4 inch ply for the actual mounting blocks. Should be simple and solid. Even with this, the plane is so light, a tad bit of extra weight won't hurt a thing.

At a first look on the nose. I am going to make a second hatch right behind that other one just for easy access to the tank and whatever else. Looks like if I make a second bulkhead about an inch behnd the firewall. I could mount it their . Or mount so tha wheel is on the front near the firewall. I guess it all depends where I put a tank. Over all it does not look bad.

vicman 08-23-2006 11:05 AM

Proof will be in a pic. I have looked at mine a hundred times trying to get it all stuffed in there around the tank. How much lead you plan on putting in the tailcone?
My CBM F-16 was so nose heavy even after taking over an inch of the front I made a mold of the tailcone and cast a new one out of the heavy stuff to get it as far aft as possible.

Cyclic Hardover 08-25-2006 09:23 PM

Well the first wing is almost re built. I did have a moment here where I got myself a lucky shot. I had to draw out the circle for the retract wheel well. I knew there were ribs inside that I couldnt see. So from what I could see of it all, I just took a guess and said screw it. Nailed it right between the ribs! [X(]

Cyclic Hardover 08-31-2006 10:21 PM

I was looking at F-5 photos. Definitely going with the light gray color. I saw one with a set of aux fuel tanks. One hanging underneath each wing. Granted it may be a bit of drag but they sure look cool.

vicman 09-03-2006 08:40 PM

Still waiting on that nose gear bro;)

Cyclic Hardover 09-03-2006 09:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Haven't even got their yet, still doing the wings. I have the mounting blocks in. Drilled the holes for the Spring airs and installed blind nuts and cut the wells out. Had my boy make me a set of 3/16 struts. Its coming along. I usually finish wings completely before I start on a fuselage.

Cyclic Hardover 09-03-2006 10:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I held the wing together with a clip to give you an idea. Light is not good and shadow makes it look like the wheel wells are not aligned. Today I added on to the trailing edge wwhich will shorten up the ailerons. Don't need that much anyways.

vicman 09-04-2006 04:01 PM

The wings are the easy part!!!

You redoin the basement at the same time too? What the heck man!?:D the tiggie is more important man! I need answers mon!!!@%*&%#@

CH, If I get out to rabbityt lake you should too.[8D]

Cyclic Hardover 09-05-2006 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I went to the LHS today. They have quite a selection of Estes Rockets. Estes also sells parts separately. I found a set of 4 nose cones and that along with a matched up tube. I cut the tube to 3/4 inch and cut down th back of the cones a bit. Look more realistic than anything I have seen. Cones are hollow and very light.