RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Combat Models F-18 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/4666076-combat-models-f-18-build.html)

FenderBean 08-24-2006 08:59 PM

Combat Models F-18 Build

1 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone I just took it out of the box and im going to get started on the build soon. I have a F-16 I will be doing also but theres already a thread for the F-16 and i will post the pics there for it.
So heres how it looks out of the box. It is extremely scale with working leading and trailing edge flaps. The scale landergear can be seen in the book photo. It also has a working tail hook that doubles as a prop saver. = ) Hope u enjoy the build!

nemesis4u 08-25-2006 06:36 PM

RE: Combat Models F-18 Build

IS CBM JETS still producing the kits? I called the phone # on their website and it was a phone # that is no longer in service!
Has anyone emailed them? I think they are a fantastic idea for scale prop jets...
FENDERBEAN:
Do you have the scale RETRACTS? THOSE THINGS look awesome! what engine are you going to use for motivation?[8D]
-Tomas

FenderBean 08-25-2006 10:11 PM

Hello and yes they still are in business, but Its near impossoble to get ahold of him. I got one email asking what he could do for me and I sent him my order and im still watting to here from him. The scale retracts cost alot of money almost 700.00 but they are the most details retracts u can buy. They perfect scale to the real ones, im having to YS 45 rear EX being made hopefully they will be here by the end of next week so I can really start digging into the build. I also have the F-16 im going to build at the same time.

Countryboy 08-26-2006 06:00 AM

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

Hello and yes they still are in business, but Its near impossoble to get ahold of him. I got one email asking what he could do for me and I sent him my order and im still watting to here from him. The scale retracts cost alot of money almost 700.00 but they are the most details retracts u can buy. They perfect scale to the real ones, im having to YS 45 rear EX being made hopefully they will be here by the end of next week so I can really start digging into the build. I also have the F-16 im going to build at the same time.
FenderBean,

Do you truly expect to get the scale gear from CBM? To my knowledge, only one set was ever produced, and those were on the prototype that CBM used in their add. If the gear is available, why the $400.00 increase over the listed price on the flier in the picture you posted above?

nemesis4u 08-26-2006 08:58 AM

Someone needs to email CBM and ask them the actual price and if they are actually available![sm=49_49.gif]

FenderBean 08-26-2006 12:04 PM

countryboy I dont know but well see when I place an order. Since thats about the only way to get in contact with him. I know other people that have recently ordered stuff and got it so they do still have stuff. And how do u know they only made the one landing gear? there website has been posted AFTER the orig owner died from cancer.

trouch 08-26-2006 12:13 PM

I got one of the first Hornet kit made, I can't remember how many years ago,but when they were around $250 I ordered the retracts at the same time and Derrick? told me that I was 4th one on his list. That was maybe six or seven years ago maybe more. I even had his cell phone number and was talking to him weekly. Was always promised that the retracts were almost done and would get them in a week. I gave up on the many e-mails and phone calls. I sold the plane......... Still have seen the retracts. DON'T PAY FOR THEM FIRST! They are cool but at $700? Heck maybe I should try making them! Ten years ago this would have been a perfect company to buy and run right, but that was then and know with all the bad rep. too bad. Don't start on the Hornet till you get the gear. Get going on the F-16 we'll all help out. Maybe you should post the build in the jet forum. Lots of ex-cbm builders there, even though these are looked down on by the turbine guys. Tom

Countryboy 08-26-2006 03:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: trouch
They are cool but at $700? Heck maybe I should try making them!

trouch,

You and me both :), but with enough research I believe 1/10 scale F-18 retracts can be purchased through more reliable sources than CBM.

FenderBean,

I hope you can get the scale gear, I would love to see this build thread continue..... but like Trouch said, don't pay up front for them. As for knowing that the only scale gear set made is on the prototype in CBM's add, I can't say with absolute certainty....but I challenge you to find/locate anyone else that has ever received a set. Maybe with a little luck, you will be the first.

trouch 08-26-2006 04:03 PM

Also remember that they would probably only work on that airframe. Might be better to see if Yellow retracts will work so at least when youy need to upgrade to ducted fan or turbine you can reuse them. Tom

trouch 08-26-2006 04:07 PM

I do know of only one person to get the gear. It was a long time ago and they may have been the orignals as he was raising quite a fuss about paying for them and not getting them.

FenderBean 08-26-2006 07:06 PM

[&o] well I will keep on him and see if I can get a set from CBMs. I dont think yellow A/C has a set thats light enough, but if anyone can get me a sure fire place to order a set that will fit and isnt too heavy let me know i will order them.

Yeah Im not going to start the F-18 now. I sent another email today and I thinkmonday im going to place an online order and see if he calls me. If he tries to rip me off I will just call my lawyer, besides hes false advertising if hes trying to scam people.
This is so flustrating, how hard is it to respond to a freaking email! or take a website down if your not going to do business.
Okay so I guess i will start on the F-16 since I can get retracts for it ARRRRRGGGG

Countryboy 08-27-2006 11:18 AM

[&o] well I will keep on him and see if I can get a set from CBMs. I dont think yellow A/C has a set thats light enough, but if anyone can get me a sure fire place to order a set that will fit and isnt too heavy let me know i will order them.

Yeah Im not going to start the F-18 now. I sent another email today and I thinkmonday im going to place an online order and see if he calls me. If he tries to rip me off I will just call my lawyer, besides hes false advertising if hes trying to scam people.
This is so flustrating, how hard is it to respond to a freaking email! or take a website down if your not going to do business.
Okay so I guess i will start on the F-16 since I can get retracts for it ARRRRRGGGG

FenderBean,

Try contacting Ed Dobias of RCCrafters. He is located in North Olmstead Ohio and the number is (440) 777-4683

He was at one time making the F-18 gear in 1/10 scale and may be able to help you out.

FenderBean 08-28-2006 04:27 PM

hey where are those retracts from countryboy?

Countryboy 08-28-2006 05:13 PM

hey where are those retracts from countryboy?
I've already answered your question.

Try contacting Ed Dobias of RCCrafters. He is located in North Olmstead Ohio and the number is (440) 777-4683

He was at one time making the F-18 gear in 1/10 scale and may be able to help you out.

TOMMYSTA 08-28-2006 05:58 PM

How's the assembly video? I bought one of the first videos when they were out 4-5 years ago and the audio was terrible...could barely hear the builder talking and alot of radio playing in the background. Not all the quality they put into the F16 video when I built it. I also had the .25 F16 prop driven video adn that was of good quality....jsut wondering if they changed it at all???

Thanks
Tom

FenderBean 08-29-2006 06:14 PM

yeah my audio is bad to U have to adjust tracking to wear the picture starts to get fuzy and the audio kicks in

FenderBean 09-01-2006 09:07 AM

Good news I found someone to make me the scale 1/10 retracts YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! and there alot cheaper than 700.00

RLPageMD 09-01-2006 01:31 PM

OK, inquiring minds want to know. Who is this elusive source for 1/10th retracts? I have a G&P pusher F-18 that could benefit from scale retracts. Was thinking of using Yellow's, but would like something more scale. BRG, Rick

FenderBean 09-02-2006 10:02 AM

let me get mine then I will post, I dont want to set anyone up for failure. But its the guy the country boy put me own to

vicman 09-03-2006 08:29 PM

Are they using oleos or foam/spring dampeners?

FenderBean 09-04-2006 09:52 AM

im no sure vicman I can ask the guy. Its ED whos building them for me from rccrafters if they look like the picture above I would think spring? That would be the best design I think.

vicman 09-04-2006 03:30 PM

I think diffrent, but whatever. Let us know when you get them. I am curious. While not too interested in working out baffles for oleos I would think spring/foam would be fairly easy to build.

FenderBean 09-04-2006 03:47 PM

he said he uses springs set to the weight of the particular kit

vicman 09-04-2006 04:03 PM

I can wait.

FenderBean 09-04-2006 09:41 PM

once I get them I can take some detailed pics of them. Im just glad im getting some, so I can start the project. Im hoping to start the F-16 next week