RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   New delta on the block? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/4853022-new-delta-block.html)

freakingfast 10-11-2006 12:03 AM

New delta on the block?

The moderator censored out the http link and edited my wording, So I deleted all of it.
Sorry to have wasted any ones time.

Razor-RCU 10-11-2006 08:36 PM

RE: New delta on the block?

What is "it'?

Kmot 10-11-2006 09:24 PM

"it" was that delta with the tiger paint job.

So he posted an ebay link. What's the beef? :eek:

soarrich 10-18-2006 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got one on the way. This is the third plane I've bought from Linda, the two I got so far are well made.

I'm going for max speed with this, I'm putting a OPS .60 with a pipe, with a 12x12 prop cut down to 9x12.

FHHOBBIES 10-18-2006 05:11 PM

Nice! Where do you get those from? Any specs on it?

soarrich 10-18-2006 07:05 PM

Wingspan: 40 inches
Wing Area: 1245 square inches
Length: 42 inches
Weight: 4 to 5 pounds
Engines: .40 to .60 2-stroke or .70 4-stroke

Rudeboy 10-18-2006 07:06 PM

I saw one at the LHS yesterday: distributed by PROTECH.... apparently it's a "Laser Arrow Tiger Force"
In other words, it's just a Laser Arrow with a fancy covering scheme.

FHHOBBIES 10-18-2006 07:42 PM

Ah... thanks.

cobratraxxas69 10-18-2006 10:08 PM

http://www.phillsmodels.com/acatalog...ml&CatalogBody

Scroll down to the second plane.

modeltronics 10-20-2006 02:20 PM

Valley View R/C has these Deltas. I have seen other ARFs by the same manufacturer and they looked very good. I hope to have a couple of these in hand to look at in about a week. Here is the contact information : [email protected]
web site is www.valleyviewrc.com They are not shown on the web site but I know they are in stock.

Pete

MJD 10-20-2006 02:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Rudeboy

I saw one at the LHS yesterday: distributed by PROTECH.... apparently it's a "Laser Arrow Tiger Force"
In other words, it's just a Laser Arrow with a fancy covering scheme.
Hardly an extreme speed plane then, with that thick airfoil on it. Not that it is a slug, but it ain't a DD, nor, from the looks of my partially built kit, is the structure going to take excessive abuse.

MJD

soarrich 10-21-2006 12:38 AM

Mine came today looks well built. It has a egg crate like structure, very different from my DDs. The frontal area is more than a DDs, but that and the wetted area which is the same as the DD only make up ~1/3 of the drag, but induced drag is ~2/3s of the drag, this has a much better airfoil. The DD is no first choice for speed with all that wetted area, the motor and the servos sticking out in the breeze.

soarrich 10-23-2006 01:33 PM

I don't think this can take a .60, so I'm going to put a ST40 FAI with pipe I've had laying around. The construction is very hogged out light ply a 60 would bust it up.

Razor-RCU 10-24-2006 11:29 PM

FAI ST? Sweet!

keep us posted...

soarrich 10-25-2006 11:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I took a couple of pictures, it's so windy it's hard to hold the plane, so they didn't come out grea, but you should be able to see how lightly built this delta is.

KrisG 10-27-2006 04:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Somebody in our club put an MDS .60 rear exhaust with pipe in it. It really moved! Mine had an MDS .48 and was pretty fast. Yes, it has a thick airfoil, and my Magnum is definitely faster and more of a thrill to fly ( certainly to land!). But still it is a blast!

Kris G

soarrich 11-03-2006 09:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I took mine to the field the other day, but the engine wouldn't run. It had a head leak so bad it looked like a side exhaust engine. :^(

I took the motor apart, the tiny bump that the arrow points to was the problem. I sanded down the top of the cylinder with 2000 wet & dry on glass. It started right up seamed to run great, back to the field early in the week.

BCarter 11-30-2006 10:19 AM

Hey Guys,
Not sure if this thread is still alive or not but here's hoping. I just got one of these planes and put a OS SF ringed 60 size motor in with a pipe. The plane boogies, some guysa are saying between 100 and 115 mph, I was hoping for more so I am trying different props and then going to work on the pipe. Anyone have a suggestion on prop selection?

soarrich 11-30-2006 10:51 AM

It kind of moved over to this:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4980577/tm.htm

bob27s 12-01-2006 12:29 PM

APC 10x10 prop. Leave the pipe where it is for now .... figure you will see around 13,500 to 14,000 rpm if the pipe is anywhere close.

funkworks 12-01-2006 12:59 PM

The thickness of the airfoil will have almost no effect of the speed of the model since we are dealing with low subsonic speeds. Thin airfoils and sharp leading edges are a waste at subsonic speeds...and even more of a waste at low subsonic speeds. As long as everything is straight and clean it should be fast. Thicker airfoils help to strenghten the wing structure too with the added benifit of handling better in the air. Finding the right engine/fuel/ prop combination is probably the most critical variables. After that, I would look at ways to clean up the airflow over the model like the cylinder head, muffler, control horns, etc.