RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   What servos to use in a fast plane? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/4958757-what-servos-use-fast-plane.html)

le fou 11-05-2006 06:09 PM

What servos to use in a fast plane?

Hello,

I am building a patriot XL and I was wondering what kind of servos you need for this kind of plane? I am also planning to fly a F16 Byron ducted fan. Currently, I own some hitec hs-475hb.
I was wondering what kind of servos you would recommend for the two planes I mentioned above, digital or analog are fine and I would like to keep the cost between $30 to $40 a piece.

Thank you for your thoughts,

Le fou

Razor-RCU 11-05-2006 07:43 PM

RE: What servos to use in a fast plane?

Le Fou- Those aircraft would require about the same servos in my opinion... The 475's would be fine, just run a 6V pack. If it makes you feel better having stronger servos in there- (Especially Elevator) the Hitec-645MG (107/ 133oz.) $39.95 ea. would be my choice.

These are not fast but it will not matter in your birds. ;)

I also really like the HS-77 which are low profile aileron servos that are 70 oz @ 6V I think? Great centering...

Cheers!

Crazy4Flight 11-05-2006 09:41 PM

my buddy flew a comp-ARF Rookie on Hitec HS-645MG on all of the control suurfaces.

at 40.00 each at Servo city or Hobby Horse you get a lot of servo for your money.

I have used the 645 too witout failure.

and I like the 5645 digitals too. but they are 55.00

Rudeboy 11-06-2006 06:34 AM

As long as you setup your linkages properly, you don't need a whole lot of servo. A lot of people go way overboard when it comes to servo power, just to make up for sloppy, incorrect linkages.

Standard servos are enough for your applications if you keep everything nice and tidy.

I'm using 21$ Hitec HS225BB servos in my Q500 planes. Racing planes are a harsh environment for servos, and they hold up just fine.

js3 11-06-2006 12:28 PM

Rudeboy took the words right out of my mouth :)

crasharama 11-06-2006 02:18 PM

I wish servo's were that cheap here.

Hi-tec 225BB's are around $55. Standard servos like 422's or JR539's are $25. Then the Hi-tec digitals start up around $100 & go up from there, Jr's start at $130 through to $260, & these are all over the net prices from 1 of our biggest hobby shops.

daven 11-06-2006 02:22 PM

Wow, why don't you buy servos from the mail order sites on the net and have them shipped to Australia? Your postage would be higher, but I still think you could save a ton of money doing that.

crasharama 11-06-2006 02:37 PM

Hi Dave,

I have been looking at that lately, a guy at our club get orders through Tower every now & again, I might have to throw in with him.

The prices here can get over the top, I hunted around when buying the Viper I'm putting together, & the cheapest 1 I could get in a hurry was $279. The biggest shop in Brisbane had a pile of them but wanted $390 a pop. A big difference to the $119 you guys pay.

When we looked at bringing them here, by the time you converted the dollar, & added Towers freight charges, we were only saving about 20 bucks on what I paid. Unfortunately we are only a small market here & a long way from anywhere else, so we pay through the nose.

Tony.

daven 11-06-2006 03:47 PM

I wonder if you bulk shipped 20-50 vipers and enough radio gear to outfit them if you couldn't work something out at significant savings. At those prices, it might be worth trying to pull a big order together with the other racers in your area.

daven 11-06-2006 03:47 PM

I wonder if you bulk shipped 20-50 vipers and enough radio gear to outfit them if you couldn't work something out at significant savings. At those prices, it might be worth trying to pull a big order together with the other racers in your area.

crasharama 11-06-2006 05:29 PM

Hi Dave,

Possibly so, just have to wait & see what the rules are for next year. We are running S1d racers like I have posted before in this state as an entry level, & the other states are using quickee's.

Next year they are 'sposed to standardise the rules for a national competition, just have to wait & see.

Tony.

Rudeboy 11-06-2006 10:19 PM

I said 21$ because that's what Servocity sells them for, and the thread starter lives in the US.

Over here they're more like 40$ too... still a great little servo for the price IMO...

I agree though 55$ is a bit over the top... are those AUD or USD prices you quote? [X(]

Cyclic Hardover 11-06-2006 11:16 PM

ORIGINAL: crasharama

Hi Dave,

I have been looking at that lately, a guy at our club get orders through Tower every now & again, I might have to throw in with him.

The prices here can get over the top, I hunted around when buying the Viper I'm putting together, & the cheapest 1 I could get in a hurry was $279. The biggest shop in Brisbane had a pile of them but wanted $390 a pop. A big difference to the $119 you guys pay.

When we looked at bringing them here, by the time you converted the dollar, & added Towers freight charges, we were only saving about 20 bucks on what I paid. Unfortunately we are only a small market here & a long way from anywhere else, so we pay through the nose.

Tony.
I'm not up to speed on this import export crap or laws on it. Seems to me that you could have somebody buy all this stuff here and just send it over? Does it get inspected in Austrailia? Customs etc?

crasharama 11-07-2006 02:29 AM

Hey guys,
The prices are Aussie dollars (peso's:D) that I'm talking about. At the current conversion rate that makes them $42.54 US each

With the import laws, as I understand it, if you bring anything into this country under $400 Aus. then it is exempt from import duties, but above that it can have a duty put onto it. But it also seems to depend what the package is to the exemption. When Dub sent my engine out it had on the US postal packing slip that it was kids toy parts, & that didnt get any duty imposed on it.

At work we have had packages opened & checked as they have the Customs & quarintine leaflet placed inside the box to let you know it has been opened.

I guess so long as its not obviously expensive it gets through, but 30 or so Vipers in the post would get them to notice.

Anyway sorry for the change of tac,

Tony

HaveBlue 11-07-2006 06:49 AM

Ive been buying from tower hobbies for ages now , you do save a few bucks, but when orders exceed $500 AUD, you pay custom chargers + GST and if you use someone like UPS they trump up their own charges which are B.S ..so I try to order under $500.00 and use standard surface mail.
My first Jett 90l become real expensive at $570.00 by the time I had it in my hand.. you live and learn I guess.. but as a side note though our prices sound really expensive , our wages are somewhat higher, it does sort of off set it.. but like anywhere...the wages are never enough!!!!

...one other thing it pays to watch dollar value to, our value against US can go from $1 AUD buying $0.78c US down to $0.72 doesnt sound like much but it all adds up in the end

vasek 11-07-2006 04:11 PM

yup! you guys in the good ol' USofA are spoiled rotten!;)

where i'm at now, they make stuff here like engines, kits... BUT one pays more for them here (where they're made) compared to the prices on the US market (and that includes the transport overseas [X(]:eek:)

go figure....[>:]

(i'm just being jealous :()

V.