RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Weston Magnum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/5077380-weston-magnum.html)

Gottagofast2 12-05-2006 03:52 AM

Deleted

Deleted

wildnloose 12-05-2006 10:01 AM

RE: Weston Magnum

I know to each his own....but why did't you just buy a nitroplanes clone instead?? It would have saved you a lot of trouble...

Flyboy Dave 12-05-2006 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
....skinny wheels will help in the drag Dept. ;)

vicman 12-05-2006 02:22 PM

Looks good GGF2!;)

Lomcevak Duck 12-05-2006 05:35 PM

I really like what you did both to the color scheme and how you mounted the engine on its side. Upright looks odd on this plane.

MJD 12-06-2006 09:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Lomcevak Duck

I really like what you did both to the color scheme and how you mounted the engine on its side. Upright looks odd on this plane.
But at least it helps avoid ripping the engine out of the mount on those high speed belly landings!

I think it looks cool too, BUT, I am having a hard time figuring out the concept of a Magnum with landing gear, considering it has few flying qualities to boast of other than flying reasonably quickly. But hey, that's just me..

Lomcevak Duck 12-06-2006 10:08 AM

But at least it helps avoid ripping the engine out of the mount on those high speed belly landings!
True. I never even thought of that- then again, I don't have a magnum...

bob27s 12-06-2006 10:30 AM

Gottago....

Great job. Plane looks excellent. :)

ORIGINAL: wildnloose

I know to each his own....but why did't you just buy a nitroplanes clone instead?? It would have saved you a lot of trouble...
If you place the landing gear in the "clone" where it shows in the photo, I can almost guarantee you will tear the plane up on landing - it will bounce big time.... probably swap ends. WAY too far forward.

MJD 12-06-2006 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Lomcevak Duck
True. I never even thought of that- then again, I don't have a magnum...
And you probably shouldn't feel like you've missed something by not owning one. Hey, I have one plus a spare, and it is fairly fun, but after flying mine this season I feel it leaves a bit to be desired in some areas such as:

- hardware (then again it's an ARF so no surprise)
- fuselage structural integrity (brittle glue joints, weak lite-ply)
- aileron end clearance (i.e. large gaps, which yes can be fixed but why should you have to)
- color scheme (visibility and taste)
- glide (but it's good practice for dead-sticking scale F4 Phantoms)
- wing trueness (both mine have bowed leading edges)
- CG recommendations (which has some bearing on the glide and flare of course)

"just my opinions"..

But it flies fine, not hard to launch or pilot as long as things are working the way they should and CG and throws are in the ballpark.

My original intention (file this under the ever-expanding category: "Projects not Started Yet") was to modify the second one for rear exhaust and tuck the pipe under the glass turtledeck. Not sure if I will get around to that or not.

But I certainly DO like the West .50 V1/pipe combo, that's a really nice ready-to-go FISE power package. Now, if it was rear exhaust.. well then; but you'd likely be better off buying a Jett FIRE .50 or .60LX.

When I finally trash this Magnum or get tired of it, whichever comes first, the West .50 is likely destined for a Q500 ARF or the like.

MJD

xandips 01-19-2007 04:08 PM

would this magnum be faster than a cheap q500 (viper)???
same powerplant..

vicman 01-19-2007 04:41 PM

Similar speed but flight charactaristics are nothing alike. It flies more like the F-20 or Patriot. It also has a really cool, freaky, whistle noise. I wish I new how that was accomplished. The think sounds like it's tearing the time space continuom apart.[8D]

Razor-RCU 01-19-2007 11:26 PM

The magnum with the West is NOTICEABLY faster than a standard Q-500 like a Predator or Viper. It don't turn real well but who cares... :D

xandips 01-21-2007 09:54 PM

just got off the phone with the guys a weston uk... that english sure is hard to understand.. lol
he says the magnum should be in the us in a month and a half... the website will let us know
\o/\o/\o/

xandips 01-21-2007 10:03 PM

hmm.. I just can't decide whether to get a magnum or a viper... not for racing.. justa for speed... the magnum looks better but no landing gear really sucks...
opinions???

evan-RCU 01-21-2007 10:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
magnum, not a hard choice at all........

MJD 01-22-2007 11:31 AM

ORIGINAL: vicman

Similar speed but flight charactaristics are nothing alike. It flies more like the F-20 or Patriot. It also has a really cool, freaky, whistle noise. I wish I new how that was accomplished. The think sounds like it's tearing the time space continuom apart.[8D]
The sound of drag..

MJD

xandips 01-22-2007 03:39 PM

hmm... guess the magnum won me... in 2 months i'll hav onee
\o/

MJD 01-22-2007 04:19 PM

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

magnum, not a hard choice at all........
Not with THAT color scheme!! [8D][8D][8D][8D]

I assume you stripped the supplied covering - how bad of a job was that? I have Magnum #2 in the wings and I'll be ding-dang-donged if I'll fly another yellow and black airplane, that color scheme and I are old enemies!

MJD

evan-RCU 01-22-2007 11:16 PM

I tapered the trailing edges, cleaned up the leading edges, closed in the engine area.... recovering wasn't hard except to get the covering to stick to the fiberglass turtle deck. After all that work it flew away first flight and I never found it, lost control about 30 seconds into the flight, going full throttle over the trees about a mile away was the last we saw of it. Searched for days.... The funny thing is that was number 2, I still have number 1, 5 years old and still flys great, ratty yellow covering and all...

Razor-RCU 01-22-2007 11:49 PM

I am not much of an Orange fan but I DIG that Maggy Evan! Too bad to hear about that...I had a Scat-Cat with a Jett-50 that I lost in a farmers field. I may have eventually found it but the RIfle toting, angry red-neck halted my search efforts permanently.

Cheers!

Flyboy Dave 01-22-2007 11:59 PM

Yo, Razor....

....you never found that plane ??? [X(]

freakingfast 01-23-2007 12:03 AM

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

I tapered the trailing edges, cleaned up the leading edges, closed in the engine area.... recovering wasn't hard except to get the covering to stick to the fiberglass turtle deck. After all that work it flew away first flight and I never found it, lost control about 30 seconds into the flight, going full throttle over the trees about a mile away was the last we saw of it. Searched for days.... The funny thing is that was number 2, I still have number 1, 5 years old and still flys great, ratty yellow covering and all...

Sorry to hear that. I betcha the plane decided to have a mind of it's own right after you had it trimed and level?
So it could fly well into the next county. [:@]

Rudeboy 01-23-2007 12:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

I may have eventually found it but the RIfle toting, angry red-neck halted my search efforts permanently.

Cheers!
Did he use it...? :D

I got shot in the back by an angry shotgun-toting redneck a year and a half ago. Luckily he was not a top marksman... things could have been a lot worse. Still have some lead shot embedded in my left shoulder :p

Gottagofast2 01-23-2007 08:29 AM

Deleted

Deleted

Julian537 01-23-2007 07:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
XANDIPS

I talked to the guys at weston back at the first of December and they told me the same story.
About a month and a half, and the magnum would be available in the US for about $110.

Looks like we all wait patiently and anxiously.......

I have included some pics of my nitro plane clone that I am working on.
I stripped the stars and bars off of it and added a little Russian color.
I am going to add some thick yellow or orange stripes to the bottom for contrast to the top!
Pics included

Julian