RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Engine for my Phenom (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/5105162-engine-my-phenom.html)

Crazy4Flight 12-11-2006 11:13 PM

Engine for my Phenom

1 Attachment(s)
I went to the shelf to get my Jett .60LX FIRE for fitting it up to the Phenom and I found I had several choices....

soarrich 12-11-2006 11:23 PM

RE: Engine for my Phenom

1 Attachment(s)
Go for it! :D:D:D

Kmot 12-11-2006 11:35 PM

:D:D:D

Lomcevak Duck 12-11-2006 11:49 PM

I would have voted for the Jett .90L if it was a BSE FIRE and had the LX mod. :D

Flyboy Dave 12-11-2006 11:52 PM

I'd go with the Jett .60....[sm=thumbup.gif]

FBD. :D

Crazy4Flight 12-11-2006 11:54 PM

the 90L is slated for a great Planes F4 in a blue angels sheme w/ retracts

Razor-RCU 12-12-2006 01:08 AM

I hate you!

That is it, that is my whole post...

Okay, so I just ENVY you! I am going to be the proud owner of another OS-50SX (I loved my last one) I was gonna put it in my Patriot but since my Jett is toasted I do not believe I can put anything back in there save for another Jett!

When i get the phenom mine will probably get the OS-50SX or my K&B-48 with Ultrathrust.

I-Love-Jets 12-12-2006 09:32 AM

Well what about these alternative combos well suited for such a delta wing:

OPS .60 goldhead RIRE

or

OS .91 VR-DF

or

BVM .91 R

Each with 8.5x10 carbon propeller. Should be enough for true 190 mph...

bob27s 12-12-2006 09:57 AM

I voted for the BME :)

RANIERY 12-12-2006 04:41 PM

nobody has say anything about the MB PROFI 40 that would really make it haull *****$.

Crazy4Flight 12-12-2006 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: RANIERY

nobody has say anything about the MB PROFI 40 that would really make it haull *****$.

and just where do you get one of those ????

BTW I just sold a CMB 60. Way kool carb...with inflight mixture

bob27s 12-12-2006 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ot .... I flew the CMB 60 engines for a couple of years in pattern. Excellent engine - lots of power - didnt mind small props or some big props :)

bob27s 12-12-2006 05:09 PM

ORIGINAL: RANIERY

MB is indeed the better of the FAI engines out there. Impressive power. But there are maybe a few of dozen people in the world who have the patience and tallent to prop it properly and get it to run consistantly. Not exactly what one would want for a sport plane of any nature.

Kmot 12-12-2006 05:54 PM

Bob, that is exactly the type of airlplane I need for my BSE FIRE 120L!!! Tuned pipe over the top of the fuse. That is a kewl looking aircraft!!

mmattockx 12-12-2006 07:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Bob, that is exactly the type of airlplane I need for my BSE FIRE 120L!!! Tuned pipe over the top of the fuse. That is a kewl looking aircraft!!
http://www.bridiairplanes.com/

Look at the XLT. A 120 is a bit much for it, though. A 90 is much more suitable.

Mark

Kmot 12-12-2006 10:39 PM

Thanks! :D

Rudeboy 12-12-2006 11:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was thinking about something like pictured below. But it is kinda bulky compared to a "40 size". It is a true "60 size", so it is about as big as a Jett 90.
It has 43mm case width... that's 8mm more than my Jett FIRE 50... a Jett 90 has a 44mm case.
I also have an old RIRE Webra .80... that one has a 41mm case... perhaps I could shoehorn that one in?

Guess I'll just have to order one of these things, and see what I can cram in.

As for the poll, my vote goes to the Jett 60LX... if all else fails I'll have to get me one of these too.

I don't even think Metkemeijer will sell you one of his MB's unless you can prove you can put it to good use :D

Crazy4Flight 12-12-2006 11:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Rudeboy

As for the poll, my vote goes to the Jett 60LX... if all else fails I'll have to get me one of these too.

you don't have one ??? Shame on you!!! [sm=punching.gif]

The fuel tank well is large about 2.25" ( 57.2mm) wide and 2" ( 50.8mm) deep inside measurement. depending on the headder (riser height) you can get a larger fuel tank in there.

I posted a build thread.

bob27s 12-13-2006 09:56 AM

Kmot - Yep :) its ideal for your 120.... Set that in the nose with a 12x12, or build it as a tail drager and use a 13x10 prop.

Bridiairplanes.com has the XLT (predicessor and slightly-larger brother of the Escape) . On occation the Escape kits show up on the marketplace too. The big dirty birdy 2meter might be a bit too much plane for the 120L.

Easy install the engine/pipe - builds like a big Kaos - flew 0-0-0 off the board, and I won a few contests flying expert/masters with it.

I owned 2 of these at one time. Second one was scratch built, using my own wing cores, and it came in a half pound lighter.

soarrich 12-13-2006 10:28 AM

I had a Drity Bridi 60 with a Picco .60 in the early '80s, my all-time favorite plane.

Razor-RCU 12-13-2006 10:23 PM

I have always wanted to get a Picco-60 or OPS-FIRE 60 Goldhead (there is 1 on ebay right now) maybe some day.

I want an EU1A to mount my YS-60 in ;)

As for the Phenom, I really want to what happens with the Jett-60LX.

I am ordering one ASAP and plan on doing a full build thread. My engine choices are somewhat mundane compared to Crazy--- I am getting a good deal on an OS-50SX and I got my West-50 back and it runs pretty well ;)

@ 35 inches wide it is almost the same size as a Whip it looks like...

Crazy4Flight 12-13-2006 11:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

As for the Phenom, I really want to what happens with the Jett-60LX.

I am ordering one ASAP and plan on doing a full build thread. My engine choices are somewhat mundane compared to Crazy--- I am getting a good deal on an OS-50SX and I got my West-50 back and it runs pretty well ;)

Razor,

I would run the West 50 & pipe with 8x8 APC. I just never got my 50SX to really unwind the RPM.

BME 44 got a few vote but I would have to turn up a rather long prop extention and mount it midship so I could get the CG correct. Then there is the problem of reationary torque with no rudders![:@] Is it time to make a coaxial counter rotating prop unit?

64% voted for the JETT 60LX FIRE and thats the plan.

Razor-RCU 12-13-2006 11:44 PM

I agree. I was just thinking of doing the "every-mans" Phenom. You are doing the high-end set-up so I was gonna see how she performs with a great ringed engine! maybe Ultrathrust or Jett-Stream though...

We will have to see if my Magnum survives (West-50 is in there) and go from there!

Crazy4Flight 12-13-2006 11:58 PM

Razor,

Build it, Fly it, and Enjoy it. I might have a Jett Stream Muffler (NIP) here for your every-mans 50SX.

does every-mans = married man ;)

I have a pair of JR DS-8417 digital high speed metal geared servos ready for the elevons. They are being "recycled". Or Possibly use the NIB Hitec HS-5945 bought here on RCU. Radio will be my Futaba 9CA with a PCM Rx and a Deans mini-whip. Switch charge jack is from Andy Lowe @ Electrodynamics. (PLUG-plug-Plug)

Bob
Member of the Shameless Commerce Division of RCU Speed Freak Forums.

Razor-RCU 12-14-2006 01:48 AM

Another Bob? (If that is your REAL name)

I have wanted to use a jettstream but have not as of yet... The Ultrathrust on my K&B-48 Kicks some tail!

Everymans I look at as average joe, I get pretty impressive results on a budget--- USUALLY [X(]

I really like these composite style deltas! I cannot wait to bring both my Whip-X and my Phenom to the next Revver's roast! And to think I have a 2M pattern ship (Eclipse) and all I need is a pipe set-up and I am buying more speed stuff... :D