RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   WM Midget Mustang,which engine? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/5197958-wm-midget-mustang-engine.html)

oscar71 01-02-2007 02:58 PM

WM Midget Mustang,which engine?

Hi all,
I have just ordered a WM Midget Mustang and it should be here in the next few days.(Cant wait!)
Just wondered what servos you guys have been putting in? And was thinknig of purchasing a Saito FA 100 for it,anyone have any better ideas?
Or anything from tips to advice you want to say would be appretiated!!

juanpipito 01-02-2007 03:17 PM

RE: WM Midget Mustang,which engine?

I had in mine a os 91. 4 stroke, with a pitts style muffler, the prop should be a 12x10, this plane was really fast; balanced perfectly with that engine and again it was really fast. one of hte best panes i've had.

oscar71 01-02-2007 04:21 PM

What servo's did you use init,or what would you recommened?without talking daft money of course ;)

soarrich 01-02-2007 07:40 PM

Mine flew nicely with an Enya .80 4C, not real fast, mine the roll was quick, but pitch was not.

Cyclic Hardover 01-02-2007 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OS 1.08:D

juanpipito 01-04-2007 10:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had futaba stamdard servos, s3001, s3004 etc. they where more than enough, no need for high speed servos, or high tork servos. the plane had proobably 40 flights before my collision.

oscar71 01-04-2007 12:18 PM

Thanks for everyones reply!! Im going to start building tonight,had to have the white one because i couldnt get no other colours so will prob get some stripes at some point.
Thanks again!

juanpipito 01-04-2007 12:20 PM

great.
what engine are you going to finally use?

oscar71 01-04-2007 12:22 PM

Im going for the Saito 100,no body seems to be saying anythin bad about it.

juanpipito 01-04-2007 12:30 PM

that will do it. just remeber, if you want speed, use a small prop with lots of pitch I don't knoe if the 12x10 will do wiht the saito 100 otherwise i would go with a 13x9

proptop 01-04-2007 12:52 PM

There was a guy in our club that had an O.S. .91FX w/ an Ultra Thrust in his...it was fast, but not all that fast...maybe 100 or so, but his was a little cobbled up.

A Saito 100 will be just fine IMO...should be at least a little faster?

Another friend has one (just like the Tiger striped yellow one above ) that we're thinking of putting a YS .91 in...ought to be about the same as the Saito 100...and I'm thinking maybe 110 mph or a bit more?

Cyclic Hardover 01-04-2007 10:40 PM

My OS 1.08 was not the brightest move on the board but the other guys had them, so i went with the flow. It's like stuffing 454 in a Chevy Vega. Darn thing has nearly no ground run on take off and just shoots right off.

With that I decided to instal dual elevator servos by cutting up the tray and putting the rudder servo in the middle with the elevatoer on either side of it. Works fine

I also changed location of the gear, I also suggest Kavan wheels. They are of a hard plastic and nearly no wheel hoppin which can rip out the struts. I change the location of my gear

Desertlakesflying 01-04-2007 10:43 PM

OS 120 Pumper...no muffler.....futaba 3004 servos.

oscar71 01-06-2007 07:50 AM

So where did you put your landing gear Cyclic? What difference did it make? Do you have any close up pics?

Cyclic Hardover 01-06-2007 11:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's attach to the front of the wing. I cut out an area and put in some hard plywood. It's basic aluminum gear painted white with Kavan wheels. Not many use Kavans but after you rip out some fixed or retract gears from wheel hopping, you will. I think I have blind nuts behind the ply and use nylon 1/4 by 20bolts. Works fine

The Kavans allow the plane to slide instead of bouncing when the end of the runway comes up to quick and avoid wheel hopping. The wheels also help on take offs a bit when you may be squirly and the struts a vibrating away. Those wire struts take a heck of a beating with regular wheels whch then transfers to the mounting blocks. It's almost as if the kavans act like a shock absorber byt not allowing the plane to bounce

I have Kavans on every plane I own.

oscar71 01-06-2007 12:07 PM

Thats great help,Thanks.Might get gear sorted before its 1st flight.

Cyclic Hardover 01-06-2007 12:31 PM

These planes can land very hot. I found that making my approaches lower helps bleed off airspeed. If you come in at a normal angle it might be difficult to slow it down.

Clean 01-06-2007 01:10 PM

Try dialing in a little flaperon, it can help slow down your landing speeds. Just remember when it's time to land, bring the left stick back, bleed off speed, apply flaperons, bleed speed again and make your approach. On modles that are a pain to land, I like to make it ritual to fly upwind on the far side of the runway bleeding off speed to landing pattern speed and approaching downwind height.
Then roll out into downwind where I will extend the flaperons and further adjust speed to level flight. At base turn I further reduce throttle to landing, roll into a 180 degree turn that will end at the base of the runway, I try to roll level and be 5-10 feet high depending on the aircraft. My Mustang needed to be about 5 foot high if I wanted to touch down smoothly in 50 yards.

It takes little practice to do a correct landing approach BUT we tend not to teach it in RC flying. If we did, nobody would be impressed with touch and go contests at the club fun fly. Now I'm not Johnny Roger, do it the right way or go home type of pilot and will make more arrivals than landings, its the nature of combat. Get it on the ground and get it ready to go again, quick. But with a new airplane or one that requires a little more thought to get down safely on the cobblestone gopher trail we call our flying field, I'll take a few extra moments to do it right and feel the plane out. It should be primary training, an afterthought, but watch the people at your local fields. The ONLY reason a pilot should have to go around is if there was a malfunction in the aircraft or an obstruction at the field. Watch the number of pilots that will make multiple passes to get the plane down. Landing to them is a dreadful experience that they congratulate themselves after making. You and me, it's an afterthought, an obstacle to get over so we can get more fuel and streamer and get back in the action.

Past that though, the WM airplanes do have a tendency to retract their fixed gear graft on our field, it's a little rough. Switching to the Kavan type install will help relieve landing anxiety and is a good call. I ordered one of the Mini Mustangs years ago, still hasn't come in yet. Could be due to the fact that year after I ordered it the hobby shop closed. I might try spadding one. Just another project.

Cyclic Hardover 01-06-2007 01:22 PM

I thought I was Tiime Man Of the Year!

Clean 01-06-2007 01:30 PM

You are, and may I take this chance to offer you my congratulations.

Cyclic Hardover 01-06-2007 02:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you, thank you very much. I want to take this moment to extend my gratitude to all the little people who made this moment possible.

oscar71 01-06-2007 05:36 PM

OOOOooooohhhh congrats,and thanks alot Clean!
It gives a few options for your engine position in the instructions,is this for any reason other than so your exhaust comes out in the right place?

Cyclic Hardover 01-06-2007 06:32 PM

Iv'e had the plane for 8 years. Heres another issue. My original engine was a OS 91 fx. I installed two of them and they were junk which is why I went to the 1.08. Now with the 91fx and probably any other that is mounted sideways with a stock exhaust you will need an extension to get it below the cowl without rubbing the cowl. As with my 1.08 , the best thing is to use a pitts.

Easystern 01-07-2007 04:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am still in the progress to get my in the air,beaf it up with some carbone fibre a stronger tail and an aluminum gear like Cyclic Hardover in this bord.
i got a magnum 1.08 and i will get a couple of more rpms out of that engine to make the midget fast.
Servos i use hitec hs 645 mg's in all hipo planes on airlerons and elevator on trotle and ruder hitec hs311 standard, the 645 is a strong and fast metall gear servo for a very good price.
weather i bad here right now but in 6-8 weeks i will be better and then we have the maiden ;)

Post a pic of your midget ;)

oscar71 01-13-2007 04:44 AM

What size prop would you lads go for with a saito 100 up front?
Also i dont know if i have done something wrong but,where the wing bolts are on the join its in the shape of a V because of the shape of the wing.Yet the wing protector (that gets glued over where the bolts go) is flat.Dont no how i managed that im sure?