RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Diamond Dust replacement (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/521390-diamond-dust-replacement.html)

evan-RCU 01-30-2003 08:54 PM

Diamond Dust replacement

Last time I landed my DD a rock poked a hole in the covering and not noticing it I went back up. The forces cause the coverin to lift from the wing and loosened some hinges. No big deal but now would be a perfect time to move the MVVS and radio gear to something new, any suggestions???

ewstap 01-30-2003 09:45 PM

Diamond Dust replacement

Yeah you might want to get something that can keep up with my Outlaw (that you built)

Cactus. 01-31-2003 10:23 AM

Diamond Dust replacement

lifted covering and loose hinges...
man that Dust is runied :p
Oulaws are great, cant believe my Outlaw on a 36 and pipe can almost keep up with my Dust on a MVVS, same mad turns, but with spins and prophang on the Outlaw too.
ummmmmm build an Outlaw... make the MVVS rear exhaust ( oh... it should be alread for your Dust, right? ), put the pipe in the second bay. niceeeeeee

evan-RCU 01-31-2003 01:17 PM

Diamond Dust replacement

I've built a few Outlaws Phil, latest ones on floats for flying off the water, I was flying off snow with it last week. I fly all mine with OS .32s and on a good day like last week it beats Matts(ewstap) with a modified TT.36, back atcha Matt. Oh and I have a Magnum also, what else Phil?

Matt, the 16 footer will be out sunday...And as far as whos faster, just remember I have the biggest, the fastest, the smallest, the slowest, and the most agile planes at the field...:^) p.s. we have a float fly next saturday....

Cactus. 01-31-2003 01:27 PM

Diamond Dust replacement

a Outlaw with floats... heard it all now! pics?
Ok, so you've got a Outlaw and a Magnum.
So two choices, First recover and put a drop of cyno on the Dust, or build a quickie 500 type plane.
I've got a Outlaw and Dust right now, and a Magnum soon. when that comes im not sure what slot the Dust will fill, the only thing it beats them both on is fast low level ground effect flying and that dosnt happen often enough. I actully think my dust would be better if i took out the MVVS and fitted a West 36 and pipe, then put the airframe on a diet and give it bigger elevons and maybe rudders.
ummm tho i do have a GRRT that needs testing out, right, im off up the shed with a hack saw so i can fit the carb and i'll see you later.

evan-RCU 01-31-2003 01:51 PM

Diamond Dust replacement

I'm not saying the dust is trash, just wondering if now would be a good time to move the stuff to something new. Last night in bed I was thinking of cutting off the wings at the half way out rib and gluing on some swoopy tips made up of balsa over thin plywood. The Outlaws have always been the most fun to fly with the high speed snaps and spins and the Magnum is as fast as the dust but looks much better so I agree that the dust has lost it's appeal. I should get a disk back with pictures of the Outlaw on floats in the next day or two and I'll post them...

Roadrunner1390 02-01-2003 01:59 AM

Diamond Dust replacement

Hello all. I am a diamond dust pilot. My dust is gettin tired and its building season in Connecticut USA. (0 degrees and 2 feet of snow on the ground) I was looking for somthing to put my Rossi 53 DF on. The dust went like hell with it but its time to build
another one or somthing else. The whiplash is a little too expensive for me. I want a pic of the Outlaw that you all are talking about. Let me know

Roadrunner

Cactus. 02-01-2003 12:45 PM

Diamond Dust replacement

goto my site www.philsrcworld.fsnet.co.uk and its in My Squadron and Crashes ( you'll like how strong this thing is if you look at crashes )
Seems i also built mine a bit different, but i think that makes it much easier to do

Forgues Research 02-01-2003 12:52 PM

Diamond Dust replacement

What about the Whiplash????

Cactus. 02-01-2003 01:01 PM

Diamond Dust replacement

Dosnt flat spin, prophang, stall turn spin, tailtouch, knifedgeish.. :s, harrier, that kentucky thing.
Not sure which would be quicker with the 53, Outlaw is more streamline......

Roadrunner1390 02-01-2003 04:32 PM

Diamond Dust replacement

I dont know how the 53df with the rear exhaust will fit on the outlaw .( I think the outlaw was the red plane) It seems like the canopy would be in the way. I guess I could mount the engine sideways. I want a plane thats fast and stable. I was leaning towards a jet like plane or a delta wing. The whiplash is just too expensive. Happy flying in that nice weather, im freezing my ass off !!!!!!!!

Cactus. 02-01-2003 06:08 PM

Diamond Dust replacement

1 Attachment(s)

I think the outlaw was the red plane) It seems like the canopy would be in the way
what what what????
red?? canopy??? where are you looking? OH!!! do you mean a red plane with a yellow bit in the wing? nooooooo the yellow bit is the Outlaw... you wanna look on My Squadron page...
the engine is mounted on its side and for rear exhaust i think putting it in the wing bay out the airflow would be niceeeee, not like mine with the mini pipe up there in the breeze. I did have to turn my carb around so i dont land on the needle, no biggie.
The Outlaw is a very fast delta and probably more streamline than a Dust or Whiplash both of which have the engine and pipe out there, and the gear.
in this pic you can just about see how the engine is cranked over and tucked into the wing, i have a better pic somewhere....

Cactus. 02-01-2003 06:11 PM

Diamond Dust replacement

1 Attachment(s)
ok, heres the better pic..
mine has a much bigger hatch with gos right to the nose and much further back, this give me great access inside the plane.
Somewhere on this forum there was an Outlaw construction thread which has lots of pics of mine inside and the changes i made.

Roadrunner1390 02-01-2003 10:16 PM

Diamond Dust replacement

The outlaw looks sweet. who makes it ?? did you put the engine on its side ?? send me more pics of different angles. I am eager to put my screamin Rossi 53 df on somthing fun !!!

The Roadrunner

Cactus. 02-01-2003 10:32 PM

Diamond Dust replacement

you can get a short kit by.. erm.. sommit cubed?? E-cubed?? forget, but its just ribs really, i built from plan.
the engine is meant to be on its side so its streamline with the wing.
you might want to enlarge slightly if going for a 53, my 36 is mad enough. dun wanna increase that wing loading too much.
Like i said theres a chat about the Outlaw further back in this forum, have a look. theres a movie on my site too of back flips it does. theres a few movies on the net of diffrent hings it does, do a RCU search

flybyjoe 02-08-2003 02:52 AM

Diamond Dust replacement

Originally posted by Roadrunner1390
I dont know how the 53df with the rear exhaust will fit on the outlaw .( I think the outlaw was the red plane) It seems like the canopy would be in the way. I guess I could mount the engine sideways. I want a plane thats fast and stable. I was leaning towards a jet like plane or a delta wing. The whiplash is just too expensive. Happy flying in that nice weather, im freezing my ass off !!!!!!!!

flybyjoe 02-08-2003 02:58 AM

Diamond Dust replacement

You want speed?.......How about a "Switch Blade"? I saw one go about 170mph at Wesport, NY a couple years ago. I bought one am presently putting it together but only have a regular 400 motor to put in it. Should run around 125 plus.

Currently building Balsa USA Enforcer with a new YS120 installed. How fast will this thing go?

Roadrunner1390 02-08-2003 03:04 AM

Diamond Dust replacement

Joe, what does the switch blade look like ?? It sounds cool. Or let me know who makes it and I will snoop around the net and see if I can get a peek at it. What was the $$ for it ??

Thanks.........

ps 170 is where I want to beeeeeee

flybyjoe 02-08-2003 03:34 AM

Diamond Dust replacement

Road Runner:

I use to have the site in my Favs. but it is gone. Northeast Sailplanes or alike> The designer is Robert Cavazos. <[email protected]>
U might try <WWW.rcglider.com>, I think is his site.

It is a small glass fuse, composite 27" wing, finished, you have to install one servo on wing. Weight 130z. It cost about 100 or less. Been awhile since I purchased it. I got it from Northeast Glider Hobbies or something like that, a couple years ago. Upper New York State. Hell, maybe in Vermont. Don't remember.

Not set up for pictures. Apologize for that, also.

flybyjoe 02-08-2003 03:41 AM

Diamond Dust replacement

Roadrunner:
Although I dealt with somebody up north of her, it was shipped to me from: Robert Cavazos, 12901 Foreman Ave., Moreno Valley, Ca 922553. Ph.(909) 485-0674

ps - it's an S400RACE- - - - - SWITCHBLADE

Roadrunner1390 02-08-2003 11:29 AM

Diamond Dust replacement

Thanks. I will check out the link and let ya know how I made out.
Just when I wanted to go control line flying this weekend, another 12" of snow and more on the way. ****!!!

Well more time to build. See ya later

Roadrunner

Roadrunner1390 02-08-2003 11:38 AM

Diamond Dust replacement

Thanks. I will check out the link and let ya know how I made out.
Just when I wanted to go control line flying this weekend, another 12" of snow and more on the way. ****!!!

Well more time to build. See ya later

Roadrunner