RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Air whistles (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/5449644-air-whistles.html)

BigBadJon 02-20-2007 09:14 PM

Air whistles

i got some Air Whistles from I4cproducts.com.. now my question is whats the best place to put em? on the wing tip or on the bottom of the wing just passed the leading edge?

rcflyer1970 02-20-2007 09:46 PM

RE: Air whistles

I have them on a couple planes but the sound seems to stop after about 75 mph, I have them mounted where they recomend, let me know if you find a spot where they work better at higher speeds, I suspect it depends on the airflow of the airfoil but they seem to act the same on all mine and they are 3 different airfoils, I have them on my Funtana, Uproar and PC-9, Brant

vertigo72480 02-20-2007 09:54 PM

I had them on an Uproar 40, and I have the smaller ones on a .25 Modeltech Extra. Both have them under the wing just behind the leading edge. Do yourself a favor and open up the orifice. You will have better sound output if you do so, and it also increases the leading edge. Also, the longer you make the tube, the deeper and louder the whistle will be. This also helps to increase your speed threshold as well.

Once you get them installed, got up as high as possible, cut your throttle, and dive in on the flight line, you will get lots of looks and cheers. All the folks at my field love it when I fly.

I lost the Uproar this fall in a streamer combat collision. I won that collision however, the Uproar has great single wing stability. :)

vicman 02-20-2007 10:43 PM

If I recall correctly they have diffrent ones for a variety of speeds. I have the high speed ones and they work fine at the 90-100 range.

i live for 3D 02-22-2007 03:28 PM

i have the large ones for high speed. they worl great on the wingtips at about 65mph

Ken Bryant 02-22-2007 09:52 PM

ORIGINAL: i live for 3D

i have the large ones for high speed. they worl great on the wingtips at about 65mph
65mph=High speed?!?!?!? I don't think so

KC36330 02-22-2007 11:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Ken Bryant

65mph=High speed?!?!?!? I don't think so

65 mph is defiantly high speed for a Cub, it's about landing speed on a few of my old jets. :)

kc

vicman 02-23-2007 08:23 AM

I think what he means it they start to work at that speed.

i live for 3D 02-23-2007 07:41 PM

they start to work at that speed, my lanier f-4 phantom isnt that fast maybe 75mph or so and it sounds really cool! I would order them quick because they have limited left and dont plane on making more.

GRAND MASTER B 02-24-2007 02:18 PM

I have a set of those and work very well.

DominicM 06-07-2007 06:49 AM

Says on the IC site that they are sold out. Any know of another supplier?

rcflyer1970 06-07-2007 10:37 AM

I just bought a Nerf Mega Howler looks like a yard dart thing that you throw, it has 3 very similar plastic whistles in it for $8 at Frys Electronics they should be at the toy stores allso. I havn't tried them in a plane yet but they should work the same and they weigh much less.

vicman 06-07-2007 11:33 AM

They don't even come close.

c hardy 06-07-2007 03:58 PM

I would also be interested in finding annother source for some of these whistles.

C Hardy.

vicman 06-07-2007 04:09 PM

Yeah, They also had a wicked cool siren for the Stuka. The whistles work great just like they say at the speeds they said.

Trollmaster 06-07-2007 06:35 PM

ORIGINAL: GRAND MASTER B

I have a set of those and work very well.

Heres the link: http://www.i4cproducts.com/

Photos on the site show where some people mount this but there is a problem with it. They need a direct flow of air and the way air flows over and airfoil, you could be making many holes for trial and error to get them to sing. So to eliminat that, the plane I installed mine on had the wings cliipped and the outer edge was flat. it is now very loud and noticable.