RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Enforcer No More! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/5575919-enforcer-no-more.html)

webtech 03-17-2007 04:20 PM

Enforcer No More!

It's a sad sad day for me. Just lost my Enforcer. I just finished putting in a bubbless tank and did some rolls and inverted flying to see how much better the new tank fed fuel into the engine. It was working beautifully. I did some loops and rolls and took her way up high for a steep split s dive. As I was pulling out of the dive the elevator popped off and she lawn darted straight into the ground at full speed. Not even a screw was salvagable. Absolute confetti. The wood was buried at least 8 inches into the ground. Shoulda heard the applause. So I took some pics (will post soon) and played taps. Time for the new and improved Byro Enforcer to be built! C ya in a few months bois!!!!

-Webtech

TEAMERICA 03-17-2007 08:05 PM

RE: Enforcer No More!

Our thoughts are with you.[:o]:):D

Strykaas 03-18-2007 09:49 AM

Why did it pop off ? What kind of hinges did you use ?

rcplaneworld 03-18-2007 10:43 AM

Thats why I pin my hinges, I dont own a plane with the correct recomended size engine!

rmenke 03-18-2007 10:23 PM

Guys:

The culpret here, I will bet, is that a knife was used to cut the covering from the tailfeathers in the typical fashion as needed with arf's. Even with care, a week spot is created in the surface fibers that either over time or immediately fail when stressed. Try using a 20-40 watt soder iron and metal streight edge. With less care, you can get the covering off the desired area without damage to the structure. I have done the same thing and when I saw the iron tip, wondered why I never thought of it. Do not use a iron with a very sharp edge, or you will now burn the surface rather than just remove the covering. ENJOY

Rudeboy 03-18-2007 11:41 PM

The Enforcer doesn't have tailfeathers... ;) It's a delta.
And as far as I know, it's not offered in ARF form either...

Other than that, you're absolutely right. The soldering iron thing works. I also use it to finish the covering around hinge slots: set the iron hot enough to melt the covering, slit the covering over the hinge slot with a sharp blade, use the soldering iron to open up the slot and seal the edges in one go.
It is also a great way to make holes in shink covering for servo output splines (like on a Dust for instance). Trying to cut a neat hole with a knife or a die is an exercise in futility.

webtech 03-19-2007 10:32 AM

Your right RudeBoy, the Enforcer is a kit and I should have reinforced the elevator better. Since it uses a pusher prop the air is pushed directly over the elevator and there is a lot of vibration. A learning experience to be taken into my next Enforcer 2.0!

webtech 03-31-2007 04:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, but I forgot the before and after pics... I took these with my camera phone, so the resolution is not so great!

ArmedZagi 03-31-2007 09:31 PM

Nice! Around here when someone describes there plane as confetti its generaly an exaguration.. not this time :D

Crazy4Flight 04-01-2007 03:19 PM

Web,

did you lose the whole elevator? elevator clevis? or elevator with the trailing edge?

Enforcer 2.0 you might consider running elevons mix on your ailerons and a center elevator.

joeflyer 04-04-2007 08:44 AM

Rocky,
Sorry to hear about your Enforcer. I've had good luck with Hayes Polypropylene Hinges on both of my Enforcers. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXK840&P=7

Joe

webtech 04-17-2007 08:27 PM

Hi Joe,
Thanks for the link on the hinges. I will definitely use them. Can't wait to finish and fly the new enforcer.

-Rocky

savage haley 14 04-17-2007 08:34 PM

ouch that looked like it could hurt