RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   need advice settin up a lil toni/jett 90LX (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/5609557-need-advice-settin-up-lil-toni-jett-90lx.html)

JEFFRO503 03-24-2007 11:27 AM

need advice settin up a lil toni/jett 90LX

Hey guys....i have had this airplane for almost 6 month's but never had the time to put it together until now. Sometime this next week i'll give the guys over at JETT a call and order up my 90LX and muffler package. I need to know a couple things and some advice would be good.

1. besides the motor and pipe , is there anything else you can recomend i might need , like a fuel pump or anything tricky i should add to the motor set up. I mean anything i might need to know before i order everything up , and then wish i should have gotten "the other thing you always forget"

2. What tourqe and speed servo's am i looking at wanting to get for this airplane. I'll be using hitec's.

I've been into the larger gas 3-D models (33%-35%) , so i'm kind of new to the little speed planes. any advice here would help.

thanks guys.

Jeff

KC36330 03-24-2007 11:27 PM

RE: need advice settin up a lil toni/jett 90LX

you need the "90L-Toni" package from Jett that includes the stand off for the muff, i do believe you have to have it even with the LX muff (which is a bit shorter then the SJ) you don't need a fuel pump for the engine but do mount the needle valve assembly remotely off the engine. also pick up a good quality fuel filter (Dub has some very nice micro ones) and it wouldn't hurt to have a couple extra glow plugs on hand.

for break-in myself i have had great results with a 10x8 On The Bench then put it in the plane and use an 11x8 or a 10x10 APC

a bubble Jett tank or Tetra bubbless tank would be preferred and you'll need the 'Jett Tanker' to fill it, I've also used the YS160DX fuel clunk (it's 14 bucks though) in a standard clunk tank setup with very good results. otherwise you need to stop flying at 1/4 tank to prevent fuel bubbles from sucking into the clunk and going to the carb.

being you've been flying 'Giant Scale' you'll defiantly think the Toni is fast. i myself find i get used to speed planes after a few flights and get the impression they are slowing down :( some people are blessed and don't suffer that affliction.

can't help you on the HiTec servos, i don't use them.

hth
kc

bob27s 03-25-2007 09:06 AM

Yeah, that about covers it....

1 - airframe mount the needle valve assembly

2 - consider replacing the fuel tank with a tetra bubble tank - stock works, just make sure it is padded well and does not touch the airframe.

3 - servos - what ever you trust - this isnt a 3D bird with giant oversize surfaces - just good servos, BB prefered (615,605?)

Also, be sure to seal the elevator and aileron hinge gaps.

Break in as noted. First flight with the 11x8. After a few flights try an 11x9 and a 12x6 (no bigger though).

DHG 03-26-2007 10:37 AM

Jeff,

Hitec 225s would be a good choice. Use one for each aileron and two for the elevators, hooked together with a "Y" connector. As Bob noted, this isn't a giant airplane, just a hefty-sized, reasonably fast sport airplane.

I'm still looking for weight data on the finished Toni and Minnow ARFs out there. My scratch-built glass/foam Tonis are coming out around 8.75 lbs with standard servos, well over the minimum of 7.5 lbs stated in the rules. We may need to fine-tune that figure. If you think of it, please send me a PM with your finished weight when it's ready to go. Thanks!

Duane Gall
RCPRO