RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Looking for a fast 40-50 size Reno style warbird (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/5718789-looking-fast-40-50-size-reno-style-warbird.html)

still4given 04-15-2007 10:24 AM

Looking for a fast 40-50 size Reno style warbird

Hi Guys,

Our club sponsors a 40 size Reno style warbird race. The plane must have min. 52" wingspan. Most of the guys are running a PTS mustang. I would like something different that will be just as fast or faster. Do any of you know of a good airframe that would fit that is readily available? Is the World Models P51 a good choice?

Thanks, Terry

KC36330 04-15-2007 12:20 PM

RE: Looking for a fast 40-50 size Reno style warbird

if you're up to building a kit, the Great Planes P-51 w/ the ultra sport airfoil is an excellent flier and capable of pretty good speed. you can take steps during construction to lighten it up considerably too.

kc

still4given 04-15-2007 08:28 PM

I don't think that kit is still available is it? To be honest, I'm not sure I have the time and work space to build a kit right now anyway. I probably should stick to ARFs for now. Can you think of any others that are a sleeker air frame than the PTS?

Thanks, Terry

KC36330 04-15-2007 08:32 PM

Yes it's still available, if you change your mind about a kit and your LHS doesn't have one, tower does.

kc

Flyboy Dave 04-15-2007 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The World Models Dago Red Reno racer is a good plane. It has a beautiful fiberglass
fuselage and comes with retracts.

....install a hot engine and haul butt. ;)

Trollmaster 04-15-2007 09:14 PM

The choice above is best

still4given 04-15-2007 09:30 PM

Any idea where to buy the World Models Dago Red in the States? I can't seem to find a dealer.

Also, Is the Dago Red better than the other WM P51's or is there more difference than just colors?

Thanks, Terry

Flyboy Dave 04-15-2007 09:48 PM

http://www.airborne-models.com/Index.asp

The other Mustangs are the same size and everything, but the fuselage's are not fiberglass. ;)

FBD. :D

Trollmaster 04-15-2007 10:23 PM

ORIGINAL: still4given

Any idea where to buy the World Models Dago Red in the States? I can't seem to find a dealer.

Also, Is the Dago Red better than the other WM P51's or is there more difference than just colors?

Thanks, Terry

I have had a few of the other WM P-51s. All very good. I don't know what dave has on his, 91 or 110 but many install 110 on them and they move very well. If your not the 4 stroke guy, 61fx is a great choice.

Flyboy Dave 04-15-2007 11:37 PM

Mine just has a YS .91 in it, swinging a 14-8....it goes fast enough for me. :D

still4given 04-16-2007 06:30 AM

Are you guys saying that the balsa fuse flies the same as the fiberglass fuse? Is there any weight savings with the balsa fuse?

We are limited to .55 CID 2s or .70 CID 4s. I have a Jett .50 to install on mine.

Blessings, Terry

Trollmaster 04-16-2007 08:50 AM

Are you guys saying that the balsa fuse flies the same as the fiberglass fuse? Is there any weight savings with the balsa fuse?

We are limited to .55 CID 2s or .70 CID 4s. I have a Jett .50 to install on mine.

Blessings, Terry

The Jett.50 propped right will be very impressive.

still4given 04-16-2007 09:27 AM

Have you got any recommendations for a good prop to start with? I have a big variety of 9" APC props but only a couple of 10".

Also, do you know if there is a difference between the way the Dago Red and the other Wm P51 46 frames fly? No sense in spending the extra $35 if they fly the same. This is more about going fast than pretty.

Thanks, Terry

Flyboy Dave 04-16-2007 09:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Dago Red has the advantage of the small racing canopy, so it should be faster.

The problem you are going to run into is with the props. The huge spinners only allow
a small portion of the prop to extend into a useful position. You will be using a nine
or ten inch prop. On my old Mustang the 12" prop lookes wimpy, but it flew OK with an
OS 90 FS. With the YS 91 on the new plane, I use a 14-8 and can use a 14-10 prop that
fits the airplane well and gives performance and speed.

Keep in mind, Mustangs use huge props. Even the 14" prop does not look big.
You can imagine what a 9-8 or a 10-8 would look like. The 14" looks about right. I
think about the best you could do with the 50 is a 10-8 Zinger. Hopefully with a lot of
RPM you will do well.

FBD.

Trollmaster 04-16-2007 09:59 AM

I like the Dago better just due to looks. Friend of mine has had his 8 years! As I said I've had/have a few of the WM P-51s. Almost had the Dago for my last one. I gave the hint of what I wanted but she got confused and received the regular P-51. It was a gift so i kept my mouth shut.

proptop 04-16-2007 10:15 AM

You'd like the Dago Red...
Mine has a mod. Webra .50 w/ Ultra Thrust muffler and on 15% Powermaster, spins an APC 10X8 at almost 14,000 on the ground. It unloads nicely in the air, and we clocked it and radared it at right around 125...

bob27s 04-16-2007 12:12 PM

Is that 40 size Dago still available ? I had a hard time hunting one down not long ago...

still4given 04-16-2007 12:41 PM

I just spoke with the folks at [link=http://www.airborne-models.com/html/productdetails.asp?ProductID=5]Airborne Models[/link] and was told they have them in stock.

Blessings, Terry

bob27s 04-16-2007 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well then yeah..... that would be something to look at if its available.

Only question ---- is why does the Dago weight 1lb more (per specs) than the regular P-51
http://www.airborne-models.com/html/...p?ProductID=20

If I recall you will need a .25" muffler for the jett-stream extension to clear the cowl on the dago.

This one here has a SJ-60L and a full pipe. I think your rules will require you to stick with the jett-stream.

other photo here is a nice P-51 racer... this one is about the same size as the old House of Balsa .40 size plane, but it is about a pound lighter (and flys better). Was scratch built.

The .40 size Great Planes p-51 would indeed be a great choice too.

My personal choice if I were going to be warbird racing an ARF would be this one...
http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/airplanes/gp/11823B.asp
Use an 8oz bubble jett tank, Hitec 225 servos all around, nimh 700 mah battery, small 5 ch receiver. No doubt this can weigh 5 lbs when done.

Modeltec's P-51 is real nice, but just a bit on the big side... if you keep it light, it may race nice.
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/123695.asp

I do know of someone flying this with a SJ-46 in it... apparently flys well
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/123610.asp
Depends if it qualifies as "reno" or not.

for those following along, there is a thread in the jett support forum for the SJ-50 and spitfire combination

And also I saw the modeltec fun-fighters at the Toledo show... They apparently will have that available in a few different color schemes. But I dont think they are in stock yet.

Bob

still4given 04-16-2007 02:02 PM

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the additional suggestions. I asked the folks about the weight difference between the Dago and the others and they said it was because of the fiberglass parts. However, they still though the Dago Red would be faster. I'm not sure if he was just guessing or actually has some experience that would lead him to that conclusion.

The Kyosh P51 looks interesting. It is a little smaller than the WM models. The WM models come with pre-installed retracts which is appealing to me.

The Model-Tech is a nice plane but bigger than the PTS Mustang and cost's almost twice as much. Short of the retracts, I'm not sure it would be an improvement over the PTS.

The ME-109 would probably be a kick but only has a 45" wingspan and we have to have 52".

I am the one who started the thread with the Spitfire in the Jett support forum. If you remember, I had a problem with flutter and broke the horizontal Stab. I have rebuilt it but have not yet flown it. It has a pretty thick wing which lead me to seek out a P51 instead. I should fly the Spit first I suppose before I build something else but all of the guys are now ordering faster planes for the next race so I new I would have to be fast to be competitive.

Blessings, Terry

bob27s 04-16-2007 02:24 PM

Yep.... I recall the spit --- tossing out some other options.

keep in mind, faster is a relative thing. Straight line speed is one thing. If you are racing, thus turning, that is where weight becomes very, very important - you spend more than 30% of the time turning. Your turn radius, sustained speed and exit acceleration all are dependant on weight. A 16oz weight difference here would be hard to pass up (if that is the real difference)

Just a few ounces is a big deal in Q-500 or QM40 (all other things equal).

The Kyosho has a 1415 wing ...... you want something with 14-18% for what you are doing. If I understand correctly, the plane is retract ready if you wish to install them.

just thinking of what designs you may have to qualify for "reno" sport racing...
P-38, P-39, P-63, P-47, P-51, F-7F, F-8F, F4U, Typhoon, Yak, spitfire technically - and you noted they allowed the AT-6...

can you use stuff like this ?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLDD7&P=0
http://www.jkaerotech.com/FWTA152.htm

still4given 04-16-2007 03:06 PM

Hi Bob, that is a good point, My Spitfire is 5.3 lbs. During the little amount I was able to fly before the tailfeathers broke it seemed very good in the turns. I guess I had better get it out to the course before I start swapping out the motor into something else. They have already approved it for the race And it looks very cool in the air. It also only needs a 1 3/4" spinner to clean up the nose so a 9" prop still has plenty of meat sticking out. The P51 needs a much larger spinner.

Blessings, Terry

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...fire/whole.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../frontleft.jpg

still4given 04-30-2007 09:36 AM

Good news, I flew the Spitfire this weekend and no flutter at all. There was only one other guy there and he was flying a modified Modeltech P51 that he had clipped the wings on as well as reducing the horizontal stab. He was running a Magnum 52. I ate him up in the turns. That little Spitfire can bank and yank like crazy. We were closer in speed on the straight-a-ways than I expected though he did have retracts and I don't. I only had time to try a couple of props, a 10*6 and a 9*9. They seemed close to the same speed.

Anyway, I'm pretty stoked that the Spitfire is flying well now. It looks sooooo coooool in the turns with that elliptical wing. I'm looking forward to matching it up against some fast planes.

Blessings, Terry

bob27s 04-30-2007 10:05 AM

Good news, I flew the Spitfire this weekend and no flutter at all. There was only one other guy there and he was flying a modified Modeltech P51 that he had clipped the wings on as well as reducing the horizontal stab. He was running a Magnum 52. I ate him up in the turns. That little Spitfire can bank and yank like crazy. We were closer in speed on the straight-a-ways than I expected though he did have retracts and I don't. I only had time to try a couple of props, a 10*6 and a 9*9. They seemed close to the same speed.

Anyway, I'm pretty stoked that the Spitfire is flying well now. It looks sooooo coooool in the turns with that elliptical wing. I'm looking forward to matching it up against some fast planes.

Blessings, Terry
Good to hear Terry.....

Try a 10x7 if the situation permits next time. Should turn nearly the same rpm as the 10x6 - and unloads in the air.

daven 04-30-2007 10:20 AM

I ran a Jett .50 in the Kyosho Spit for a few years up here in our local warbird racing.

Ran best with an APC 10x7 and took home a couple trophies.

Great flying airplane.