RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Weston U.K. Magnum with BSE Jett 50 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/571987-weston-u-k-magnum-bse-jett-50-a.html)

GeeBee-RCU 02-20-2003 06:37 AM

Weston U.K. Magnum with BSE Jett 50

Weston U.K. Magnum,bought it without power system ($136 shipped)neat kit!
Wanted neat engine=BSE Jett 50(Beautiful but $$$)Stock Jett Muffler
Weather permitting,it will get flown shortley .
A 9-7APC for the first few flights,Then........up to full pitch
Any thoughts?
Thanks for reading

Rudeboy 02-20-2003 06:40 AM

Yes, one: hot...

Question: pipe?

Razor-RCU 02-20-2003 06:42 AM

wow

You lost me-

Try a search on here for info. There have been some pretty good stories about that thing :D

The Jett 50 is an awesome motor but I would not put it on something without landing gear tho- :eek:

GeeBee-RCU 02-20-2003 06:46 AM

I have had Too much belly landing experience to be afraid of this one,should be a cinch

GeeBee-RCU 02-20-2003 06:56 AM

Am using stock Jett tuned muffler that came with engine

Cactus. 02-20-2003 10:45 AM

Vids of landing Magnums on my site... keep the speed up
Peel back the covering on the LE and sand those flat bits sharp.
Get some of the RC car chassis protection material and use it on the bottom, the nose can ba a little weak for belly landing.
A friend with a West 50 magnum is going to be getting a Jett Fire engine and have it tunned to the b******s

Also on my site Project Magnum, a work in progress with a MVVS GRRT

last thought..... PIPE PIPE PIPE PIPE

mec 02-20-2003 02:51 PM

I have a Jett fire 50 engine on my DD (with tuned pipe).
my friend has the Magnum with the Eurotec Weston Webra 50 engine (with tuned pipe that comes with the kit). this combo turns my 8x10 APC 500rpms more than my JETT.

mec

Frank and Brian 04-14-2003 08:48 PM

I have a Magnum with the Magnum xl 46 which I got tuned in England with full pipe and got special go faster fuel.Quite an experience I hadn't flown anything as exhilarating and really enjoyed until the conrod decided to qutie literally explode on a down leg at the time the pipe had kicked in and by zolly was she moving,anyhow she shot the spinner and prop and I landed her to find the cylinder head etc was completely shattered and the engine renderred inusable. All in all a great model for getting the adrenalin flowing.

Cactus. 04-15-2003 09:07 AM

You dont need to do that much to spit the crank on the WXL dog's, i've seen it happen just fater launch, good thing it wasnt in the pits coz we have no idea where the spinner, prop and rest of the shaft went. All the WXL's in our club have since been returned and PX'ed for West 50's, no complaints with them, and you'll see the difference in speed.

Mike Connor 04-15-2003 01:18 PM

Originally posted by GeeBee
Am using stock Jett tuned muffler that came with engine
My favorite muffler for this engine was the SS (Super Sport) optional muffler from Jett. I would get an easy 18,000+ with APC 9x8 sport prop. I would think the Quickie muffler would be best for anyone using the pylon props or the 8" props.

GeeBee-RCU 04-15-2003 03:22 PM

Look in "airplanes for sale " forum,I am selling this Fast plane,Too fast for me!
thanks

RampRat 04-15-2003 05:54 PM

Heh.... ;)

Cactus. 04-15-2003 07:18 PM

wussy :p

GeeBee-RCU 04-16-2003 02:14 AM

Well,the thing disapered right after turn out.
I need one twice that size at the speed it travels.

Cactus. 04-16-2003 10:30 AM

did you forget the throttle servo? :D
this planes best at huge U shaped passes. you do need good eyes to keep up with it tho. have a look at the vids on my site. :D
i know my friend wants to try a Jett fire 50 version to go faster :)

MMallory 04-16-2003 11:25 AM

GeeBee,

A wise man admits to his limitations. You might be able to enjoy the plane with less motor up front or a lower pitch prop
Mark

RampRat 04-16-2003 12:50 PM

I agree... It's better to have tested ones limits and sell it, rather then pushing it until you loose both the plane and all the money spent.

It's not for everyone, and i'm not yet sure if it's for me, but i just love the adrenaline-rush it gives me everytime it gets airborne. :D

Cactus. 04-16-2003 12:57 PM

tis better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all

Blue Skyy 04-16-2003 04:15 PM

GeeBee, you are a very wise R/C pilot!

Flying high speed model aircraft is for those who have the skill and confidence to do it well. Even the best pilots can have a bad day with control, orientation and vision problems. A plane out of control at 120+ mph plowing through the pit area is very dangerous stuff. Show me a pilot who has never crashed a plane and I'll show you someone who never flys.

Blue Skyy

SSAN 04-16-2003 05:47 PM

Originally posted by mec
I have a Jett fire 50 engine on my DD (with tuned pipe).
my friend has the Magnum with the Eurotec Weston Webra 50 engine (with tuned pipe that comes with the kit). this combo turns my 8x10 APC 500rpms more than my JETT.

mec

Mec,

Don't be discourage!

That maybe true for current tuned Jett engine, but the Jett is NOT fully tune to it max (yet). Also, the Jett was tuned to run on variety of prop size, therefore, it may not show the maximum capability it have with the small prop. The Webra .50 may show 500 rpm more for now, but if you wring out both engines to it max performance, the Webra have no chance what so ever. Never did and probably never will. Competition has been proven already. :D

GeeBee-RCU 04-17-2003 05:43 AM

I epoxied 1-1/2 inch circles of 50 grit sandpaper to sides of fuse to give a better grip for launch.First few flights fuse got really hard to hold,as exhaust residue made the thing slip out of my hand even without engine running.The engine was not consistant enough for me to throttle back,(small hole in fuel line) anyway, I was so flustered I probably wouldn't have pulled the stick back anyway.
Well ,with visions of a much better launch and more consistant engine run I am giving it another try(and I love that engine,like a jewel! ).Thanks to all who helped with this decision.
Steve

Gricey 05-28-2003 05:31 PM

Originally posted by Brian,Frank
I have a Magnum with the Magnum xl 46 which I got tuned in England with full pipe and got special go faster fuel.Quite an experience I hadn't flown anything as exhilarating and really enjoyed until the conrod decided to qutie literally explode on a down leg at the time the pipe had kicked in and by zolly was she moving,anyhow she shot the spinner and prop and I landed her to find the cylinder head etc was completely shattered and the engine renderred inusable. All in all a great model for getting the adrenalin flowing.

Hi Frank, where abouts you flying? I've been flying in Phoenix Park with LMAC and have seen a couple of Magnums go down but haven't heard about yours.

Dustflyer 05-29-2003 12:48 AM

Magnum

GeeBee,

Don't get discouraged! Use that stick on the left!

After you launch it get that power back and just drive around at half-throttle or less. There is no law that says you have to scare yourself flying that thing around at full power!

That's the funny thing about RC planes. Guys learn on trainers where they fly around at full throttle all time. Do you fly a full-sized Piper Cherokee around at full throttle? Of course not!

When I haven't flown in a while I just tool around at half power or so until I get comfortable. In fact I NEVER fly my Diamond Dust or Whiplash at full throttle unless I have it lined up perfectly for a diving high-speed run, then I give it the juice when I know I've got everything under control. My HotSpot jet? NEVER at full throttle unless on takeoff or going STRAIGHT UP.

You can fly that bird! Just use that throttle. Forget full throttle except for takeoff. Get that left stick back to match the right stick. Once you get the hang of it you will have a blast. No need to be scared of it.

Diamond Dusts, Whiplash, Wonders, Magnums; these are maximum fun meter pegging airplanes for the buck. More so than turbines! Take it easy with that throttle stick at first and you can work yourself up to a bunch of fun!

Belly landings? No big deal. Just position the prop so when it is against compression it is horizontal. Have never broken a prop belly landing my Diamond Dust or Whiplash.

About that prop... 9X7 OK for break-in or getting started. Once you get comfortable slap a 9X8 on it. I am partial to the 9X10 when tuned to a long quiet pipe but overall the 9x8 is probably the best overall prop for a Jett 50. It loves that prop!

Gricey 05-29-2003 07:16 AM

I seem to remember reading that the Magnum is suited for .25 - .50 engines. You could throw in an OS .25 and then fly it at full everywhere..... That's the good thing about the Magnum, they look dead cool flying even if they're not going a bizillian miles an hour. Not sure about the Dust or the Whiplash though....

Cactus. 05-29-2003 09:37 AM

I NEVER fly my Diamond Dust or Whiplash at full throttle unless I have it lined up perfectly for a diving high-speed run
:eek: :confused:
i never throttle back