RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   engine problems with magnum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/579052-engine-problems-magnum.html)

flybike 02-24-2003 12:45 AM

engine problems with magnum

Hello. I have a magnum with a couple flights on it. I love it and it is very fast. However, i am having problems starting the engine. It is a west 50, the kind that comes with the plane. Usually i can get stubborn engines to run, but this one is really hard. It runs fine once it fires the first time, but usually that takes a really long time, sometimes doesn't happen at all. Any advise in getting it started would be greatly appreciated. thank you, Hans

Cactus. 02-24-2003 11:24 AM

its such a strong engine it takes a while to break in, the guys here are still having trouble on the cold days and they have some of the very first ones.
have you adjusted the bottom end needle to lower the idle? this helps, the factory setting gives a high idle. they normally resort to electric starts giving it a short tap rather than a connect and turn. it can still take a while. I'm gonna have to come up with some sort of heater jacket like the rc car guys use on tires to warm the engine up before starting.

bambam-RCU 02-24-2003 12:52 PM

Not sure this will help but I don't see a lot of people doing it. I do it all the time & hardly ever have a problem starting engines. Even my OS 40LA which is notorious for hard starts.

Before putting on the glow heater, make sure the presure line is hooked up to the muffler or pipe, cover the exhaust hole with your finger & spin the prop a little. This will force feed fuel into the carb & engine. Works well for me.

Just my 2 cents. :cool:

Cactus. 02-24-2003 12:55 PM

much more efficient method is to open the carb to full, put your finger over it and flip the prop a few times, different engines like a different number of flips

RampRat 02-24-2003 02:44 PM

I use the method described by phillybaby, and with 3 flips to soak it with fuel, it starts right up...

Never had problems when using this method...

Flyboy Dave 02-25-2003 12:32 PM

If the temp. is 40 degrees or less....methanol won't
light too well. The guys back East say to put lighter
fluid in the carb....and it will start right up. ;)

flybike 02-26-2003 05:03 AM

ok it was like 15 degrees F that day. Its 15 below now. So, i will just have to wait for warmer weather. Thank you for the replies

FlooredCOBRA 02-26-2003 05:21 AM

normally i put my finger on the carb at WOT and flip 3 or 4 times. On my GRRT i put on the end of pipe with WOT and flip until i see the fuel leak out of carb. After that it cranks right up every time.

FlooredCOBRA 02-26-2003 05:26 AM

Forgot

oops forgot to say why on pipe instead of carb for GRRT. Its because the carb sits low in my DD and cant get my finger in there. Otherwise i would cover carb instead.

beavertail 02-26-2003 05:26 AM

I know what your problem is...... You bought a Magnum.

jk

Cactus. 02-26-2003 10:51 AM

On my GRRT i put on the end of pipe with WOT and flip until i see the fuel leak out of carb
I'm gonna have to do that, but i cant even see my carb in Project Magnum!
BTW, anyone reading all this that puts fingers over the exhaust or carb and then uses a starter to spin the engine, this is dangerous, because if you slip a electric motor could do more damage than a engine if you hit the prop and it also floods the engine and screws the con rod. flips = pulling the prop round with your hand without the glow clip attached.
okokok, i did flip the prop the other day and it flipped back and hit my cold fingertips OUCH! wasn't even running and it hurt.

FlooredCOBRA 02-26-2003 09:32 PM

Exactly !

What phillybaby said.