RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Patriot=wow!!!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/586142-patriot%3Dwow.html)

guntop 02-26-2003 09:52 PM

Patriot=wow!!!!!

hi all, its a balmy 30 degrees here in sioux falls sd. just got back from the field flying my patriot. i love this plane. everything i have been looking for in a prop jet. speed, looks, retracts and easy landings.(nose high i might add) first flight was going ok then,,,,,,
went up for the second flight, everything good ok, so i sucked up the gear and turned her loose. what a speed demon. well i forgot to repair a minor tear in the monocote on the wing, i was cruising high and fast across the runway and then i hear this rip and a bunch of white pieces went falling to the ground. the plane was still flying. i did a slow pass to observe. the monocote on the right wing(underside) had completely ripped off. since it was still stable i was able to bring it in. learned a good lesson here!!!!
anyway, she is a keeper!!!!!

vasek 02-26-2003 10:46 PM

what engine

would like to know what engine pulls your Patriot...

thnx

guntop 02-26-2003 10:50 PM

patriot engine

i am using the good ol ys 45. she makes the patriot pretty damn quick!!!
dave

Pinch 02-27-2003 12:04 AM

Patriot=wow!!!!!

I have a YS 45 with a pipe.
I agree, it really zips!

dwsc 02-27-2003 05:07 AM

painting the patriot

you said you painteed the fuselage, did you also paint hte fin and stab along with the control surfaces?

Razor-RCU 02-27-2003 05:16 AM

Pics?

Need some pics.... I am shooting for the largest collection of Patriot pics in the world- :eek:

And no I am not a Trekkie

Neil Guildford 02-27-2003 11:57 AM

Patriot=wow!!!!!

whats one of these like to build?

Also are the retracts strong enough for grass take-off and landings?

Flight times?

Weight?

Finally, would an Irvine 53 fit?

Many Thanks

Neil

Pinch 02-27-2003 03:46 PM

Patriot=wow!!!!!

It's been a 10 years since I've built it, so I can not recall most.

I built the Great Planes Kit, so it really goes together very nice (i.e. washout for the wings, parts alignment, etc.)

GRASS: I used the hobbio (3) and had problems with take offs on grass. You may want to think about bigger wheels if you don't mind the nose wheel hanging out the bottom a little. I didn't see how I could have put bigger wheels so I installed very hard wheels, which helped. The plastic on the steerable nose wheel broke once and I had to replace it.
HARD SURFACE: It uses a lot of runway to take off, but no problems. I used foam wheels here so that it would slow down better on landing.

FLIGHT TIMES It seem to me that I never got 10 minutes out of it. The bigger problem is running out of sky before you lose it. It's fast.

WEIGHT: I'd need to weight again, but I think mine was under 6 pounds.

IRVINE: I'm not sure. I know the YS 45 was tight - and I had to really modify the plastic spinner to fit over the prop. Maybe an allimunum spinner would have worked better.

Hope this helps.

:)

Neil Guildford 02-27-2003 07:35 PM

Patriot=wow!!!!!

Pinch

Much obliged for the info.

It sounds like a grass strip could be a problem for take-off as it would need to be very long.

Do you have any ideas on a plane, of this caliber, that would accept a grass runway?

Many thanks

Neil

Pinch 02-27-2003 07:49 PM

Patriot=wow!!!!!

:confused:

Pinch 02-27-2003 07:52 PM

Patriot=wow!!!!!

Let me try this again.

I don't have another recommendation - I really like my plane.

The only bad recommendation I can give you would be to not install retracts and put bigger grass wheels on it.

Sorry.

Perhaps you will others who will reply with comments.

:confused:

Neil Guildford 02-27-2003 07:58 PM

Patriot=wow!!!!!

How long a runway, on grass, do you think it takes?

guntop 02-27-2003 11:33 PM

grass, no problem here

I used B&D retracts and have no problems. they are rock solid.
i am using the ys 45 and my plane got of the ground within 100 feet(estimation)

vasek 03-01-2003 01:39 AM

B&D retracts

grass, no problem here (post # 13)

I used B&D retracts and have no problems. they are rock solid.

where can one GET B&D retracts? :(
they are nowhere to be found...

Dave Barrow-RCU 03-01-2003 04:46 AM

Patriot=wow!!!!!

I have a patriot with hobbico retracts that flies off a grass runway. I put 1 size larger wheels than shown on the plans. With a Super Tigre Como.51 10x8 wood prop and Mac's tuned pipe, it gets in the air in 100 feet or less with ease. The only thing I would do different is not to loop the fuel lines like shown on the plans, I had to pull the tank(no easy task after it's built), and reroute them normally. It's a straight forward, easy build. Patriot's fly great, you'll be glad you got one.

vasek 03-02-2003 02:13 PM

GUNTOP

are your B&D retracts pneumatic or mechanical?
any mods needed to install them in the Patriot?

THNX for helping

guntop 03-04-2003 12:48 AM

B&D retracts

vasek
no mods needed. they are pneumatic

gtalbot 03-07-2003 01:24 AM

B&D Retracts

Tower Hobbies only sells a few of B&D items.
For their full selection, contact them here:

B&D Enterprises
Route 81 Box 7
Ballard, WV, 24918

(304) 753-4636

I took me a few tries to get someone to answer the phone, but when they did, their customer service was superb!