RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Please help me get started (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/5890629-please-help-me-get-started.html)

Flying freak 05-23-2007 05:51 AM

Please help me get started

Hi

I have been flying for about a yewar and always though i would go into imac type planes but i find my self doign full power dives and low passes seeing how fast i can go so im goign to try and plane in that relm.

My club is big on the "scat cat" type of plan as one of our members makes them so i would like to get one of those (80$ Canadian) and a n engine for it right now what im flying is a supersportter with a 55ax which is ok at best so time to step it up what engine would you put in there?

jett sj60? Im more or less lookign and planning ahead as a student i only work a few hourse a week and this wil take a lil while to save up the money but i do want a goal

please post your suggestions everythign from engine to airframe.

Thank you

Steven

Ed Smith 05-23-2007 06:47 AM

RE: Please help me get started

If you are truly serious and committed about going fast then go here.

http://www.jettengineering.com

Purchase a BSE .40 engine, use an APC 8.5 x 7.5N prop. screw them on to the front of one those $80 Scatcats and go faster than anybody in your club has ever gone before.

The engine a little expensive? Yes but speed does cost money. If you are trying to go fast on a budget then you will remain down amongst the Duffers. That is the harsh reality.

Ed S

Flying freak 05-23-2007 06:52 AM

would it worth spending the extra 20$ and getting the 50??

bob27s 05-23-2007 10:01 AM

email Jett at [email protected]

request the hangar sale list.

Often enough, Dub has Sport Jett .46 and SJ-50 engines on there - might save you a few $$ - worth considering.

For just sport speed use on a scat-cat or other Q-500.... any of the engines from the .46 through the .60LX will keep you happy.

daven 05-23-2007 10:12 AM

I completely agree with Bob, get the Hangar Sale list from Dubb, and keep an eye open for any Sport Jett .40, .46, or .50 to pop up and jump on it.

You don't need a BSE to go fast, the Cast Case Jetts are just as fast, just don't look as purty :)

daven 05-23-2007 10:17 AM

Or,

There has been some good Nelson .40 Q500 motors sold at that auction site lately. Nelson came out with a Long Stroke motor and some of the top guys are selling off their Short Stroke stuff. There is one listed on their now that would be a great fit for your Scat Cat.

Check this item # at the auction site: 300113449591

The person selling it is a racing friend of mine and a reputable guy.

Most of the Nelson Stuff has been selling for a little over $200, so you can find a good buy if you keep your eyes open.

Flying freak 05-23-2007 11:32 AM

Im not sure im going to be able to buy a nelson im looking for a goal i want to know how much it will cost me and save up over the summer (im 15 with a part tiem job at a gold course) so what im looking for is to get a goal set in mind emaild to get the dubjett hanger sale last night no reply yet..

rmenke 05-23-2007 12:52 PM

Flying freak:

Your intended airframe is basically a older Q-500 that is a decent sport flyer when set up correctly, and will scoot with most. There are only two truly quality go fast engines out there, Jett and Nelson. Both cost about the same new. There are other engines that claim to be, but fall short in the rpm and endrance areas. For years, the little Jett 35 was my go to egine for club plyon racing and it could not be toutched for years, a 35 yet. Now into 5 years, it is still running strong. What started out as a relatively expensive engine turned into the most cost effective engine I have ever had. Don't have a clue how long this thing will keep on screaming. I have the SJ 50L and SJ90L which are good strong running engines. Then, got my latest love, the SJ 60LX, a 60 in a 40 frame. It will turn a 8.80 X 8.5 apc close to 20k, almost pulling you off your feet!! What is neet, crank her up, seet needle, set airplane down and taxi out to the strip like any other good sport engine. Idle and transition is the best I have had. Punch it, and wow. The only things that may, and I mean MAY be able to keep up with you is the full race Jett or Nelson engines. I have not flown against a reasonable compairrison as theres none out there yet. Mine is in what you might call a home brew streemlined Q-500 with the wing cut to 45". The gang claims it's the fastent thing they have ever seen, it is by far the fastest thing I have ever had, buy a bunch. Stuffed it last weekend when I took my eyes off the thing, like a idiot!! So, am building another one, this time with a fatter fuse, a little longer for more fuel tank space and will not cut the wing down. The direction is to slow the design down a little and make the thing a little more user friendly. My guess is it will cost me something from 20 to 40 mph in top end, but the general original design has that to give away and still kill off the gang, I hope. Will know in a few days. In my view, the Jett 60 LX is the best thing out there by far for general go faster planes. You can't use them in Q-500 or similar class racing, but they are the ultimate in go faster engines for general sport flying, wing thingys and their relatives. It will be a long term invenstment, well worth the price of admission. Now you can really scream buy the field, but also slow the thing down and do a torque roll. That will really open some eyes. Remember the stick on the left, work up to flat out speeds as things happen very very fast now. Not everyone is able to adapt to that, and many don't want to. To each their own, thats what makes things interesting. There will always be a group of go fast nuts in the club to give you company. Frankly I think we all are a little nuts, but its fun and different. But then, so is Russian Rolette. Be sure to stay with the LX type, its superior to the standard L mode buy a bunch. ENJOY Bro 119

mmattockx 05-23-2007 01:02 PM

Guys,

The guy has been flying for a year and you are pointing him at Jett stuff? He needs to learn to walk first, then run...

Steven, you are flying a Super Sportster with a 55AX. Nice combo. If you want to try some cheap speed, get your Scat Cat and put the 55AX in it. It is not really a speed engine, but try a 9x7 on it and it will still scream some and the Cat will be far faster than your SS. If you want to buy a new engine, the Thunder Tiger 46Pro is a great, low cost engine. Combined with a Tower Muffler, or better yet a Jett Stream or Ultra Thrust muffler it will easily get your Scat Cat up to 120mph or so. And it will idle and transition very well. When 120mph feels slow, then get a Viper or other Q500 airframe and go balls out for a Jett and you can easily get 150mph with that combo. By the time you have adjusted to the TT46Pro/Scat Cat combo, you will know if you want more speed and if it is worth the $$$ to you.

Mark

Flying freak 05-23-2007 01:02 PM

here i just got the hanger sale list if anyone else is interested here it is

HANGAR SALE ITEM!!!!
HURRY, LIMITED AVAILABILITY
2/6/2007
(WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE ANY ORDER DUE TO LIMITED AVAILABLITY)
Note: we do not add you to any “spam” list. You will need to visit the Jett web site regularly to request this list.

1. SPORT-JETT .50, 275. Regularly 295. (cosmetic flaw)
2. BSE FIRE .50, Rear Exhaust, only one, small barely visible mark near front bearing. New, warranty. Reg. 345., only 295. Pipe and header extra.
3. BSE .35 OR .40L FIRE, FACTORY SECOND, NEW, REQUIRES PIPE, extra. 25.00 DISCOUNT. REAR EXHAUST.
4. Several used BSE Q-500 and BSE QM .40 engines. Great for practice. 275.00 (can be converted to red throttle carb for 25.00 extra)
5. .25-.35 JETTSTREAM MUFFLER. SLIGHTLY USED. FITS JETT, OS, MDS,THUNDER TIGER AND WEBRA. ADAPTER NEEDED FOR BOLT ON MUFFLER ENGINES (NORVEL). $30.00, REG, 55.00. (BOLT ON ADAPTERS ARE 15.00)

TO ORDER GO TO THE WEB SITE ORDER PAGE AND TYPE IN WHAT YOU WANT, or send E-mail. (DO NOT CALL JETT!!!)
WWW.JETTENGINEERING.COM
AND CLICK ON ORDER FORM. TYPE IN YOUR ORDER FOR SECURE ORDERING. IF YOU HAVE ORDERED FROM JETT BEFORE AND YOUR CARD IS STILL CURRENT, THEN JUST SEND AN E-MAIL. You must indicate that this is a hangar sale item to get the correct pricing!!!!!!!!!!!

ALL PRICES ARE EXCLUSIVE OF SHIPPING AND HANDLING. STANDARD JETT PRICING APPLIES ON SHIPPING, NO DISCOUNT.

bob27s 05-23-2007 01:17 PM

If you want to go "Fast-e-nuff" now..... you do not have to make a real big investment.

Find yourself a Thunder Tiger .40 or .46, bolt that on the nose. Here in the USA you can buy those new for under $75 usually.

The TT40 is pretty much the "standard" for 424 racing. Combine with an APC 9x6 prop. On a scat cat, figure an easy 110 mph. Some more modern airframes and also the Viper, Predator ARFs - you are looking at 120mph straight line speed. Yes, dead stock engine.

Basically the same for the TT46, just move to a 9x7.

From there, for a few more $$$ bolt on a Jett-Stream muffler, or an Ultra-thrust muffler (the two are essentially the same type of tuned exhaust). Do nothing to the engine, just bolt the muffler on. Use the same prop to start with. Instant 1100-1200 rpm gain. Then you are talking 125-130 mph.

I can relate on what you are doing. I started flying r/c when I was 13 and had a paper route. Everything was an investment.

Interesting thing.... R/C aviation is probably the only sport in the world that has gotten less expensive over the past 30 years.

Bob

Lomcevak Duck 05-23-2007 01:19 PM

I'd go for the sport jett .50 for $275. That looks like a good deal to me, and ought to work well for you.

ChuckL 05-23-2007 01:40 PM

I would have to agree with Bob as I also started flying when I was a kid with no money a TT46 and a jetstream muffler will turn up very good for a very reasonable price. If money wasn't a problem buy a Jett you will never regret that decision and it will last many years and scream the entire time.

MJD 05-23-2007 03:47 PM

ORIGINAL: mmattockx

Guys,

The guy has been flying for a year and you are pointing him at Jett stuff? He needs to learn to walk first, then run...

Steven, you are flying a Super Sportster with a 55AX. Nice combo. If you want to try some cheap speed, get your Scat Cat and put the 55AX in it. It is not really a speed engine, but try a 9x7 on it and it will still scream some and the Cat will be far faster than your SS. If you want to buy a new engine, the Thunder Tiger 46Pro is a great, low cost engine. Combined with a Tower Muffler, or better yet a Jett Stream or Ultra Thrust muffler it will easily get your Scat Cat up to 120mph or so. And it will idle and transition very well. When 120mph feels slow, then get a Viper or other Q500 airframe and go balls out for a Jett and you can easily get 150mph with that combo. By the time you have adjusted to the TT46Pro/Scat Cat combo, you will know if you want more speed and if it is worth the $$$ to you.

Mark
Now that's the kind of advice this fellow needs, and you beat me to it ;-). I don't think he's looking for high end engines yet, just some reasonable speed thrills on a moderate budget. Either of the above combos will get your blood pumping if perhaps not boiling. Then decide how much you want invest in speed later. For now, these are sensible options IMHO.

MJD

Flying freak 05-23-2007 05:04 PM

Ok il get a thundertiger instead much cheaper and becuase i dont ahve alot of experience in the high speed stuff it will be scarry enough and i do plan to plant a few of these scats.. (hey 110 MPH inverted 3 feet off the runway stuff does happen...) So i guys i should save up about 300$ to get it to fly (i have an rx servos [are jr 811's ok?] and batterys..)