RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Extreme Speed Prop Planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/)
-   -   Tucano + West 50 + Weston Pipe (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/extreme-speed-prop-planes-104/5982523-tucano-west-50-weston-pipe.html)

Isaac F 06-13-2007 12:07 PM

Tucano + West 50 + Weston Pipe

1 Attachment(s)
Guys,

I am interested in getting a Phoenix Models Tucano Sport............. I know this airplane is not for Speed[:-], I am thinking on installing the West 50 + Weston Pipe (From my Magnum)

Here are my concerns:

Since the engine will be inside the cowl, do you think I going to have overheat problems?

Also, since the engine goes upside down, do you think I going to have problems with the idle o the engine turning off at idle? Do I need to use a Idle bar plug for this intalation configuration?

Any other advice?

Here are the pics for your reference.

THX

Isaac

MJD 06-13-2007 02:12 PM

RE: Tucano + West 50 + Weston Pipe

This is a very unusual combination. I hope you don't lug the .50 down with too much prop, it just does not work well with anything more than maybe a 9-6 or tops 9-7 for load. I suppose you could run a finer pitch 10" prop but I don't know whether to suggest a 10-4 or 10-5 to keep it up in the rpm range it is ported and piped for. I am guessing it might turn a 10-5 okay but ???? Ground rpm should be 16k minimum as far as I know to avoid overheating and balky running. Is your pip eand/or header the stock length or have you shortened it already for the Magnum? If you have, hmmm...

Rudeboy 06-13-2007 06:29 PM

It could work.

Cooling: make sure you have plenty of exit area for the cooling air, this is more important than entrance area. The front opening in the pictured cowl is more than enough to cool an engine. All you have to do now is provide an easy path for that air to get out of the cowl again. Also, a little baffling to direct the air properly over the head will do miracles.

If this is the Tucano I think it is, than it will fly on a 9x6 prop. And a 9x6 at nearly 20K rpm will give you quite a bit of thrust. Just don't expect blistering speeds from this combo.
It will be a hell of a lot faster than the ones with 46 AX's and 11" props, that's for sure.

rcflyer1970 06-13-2007 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the very similar PC-9 sold by Seagull (maybe the same manufacturer ...the blue mounts are the same) , mine looks nice and flies decent, I was running a S/T 45 it was a dog then a Irvine 53 Piped and now a S/T 61 Piped, about the same speed with the 53 and 61 engines. Issues with inverted engine, floods easy and all the oil ends up on the glow plug, dribbles fuel out the carb. The mount looks the same and mine had up thrust built in I had to shim the mount, the tank was way too high I had to do some mods to get it low enough to get by. Flies decent but if you input to much elevator you get a nasty snap in return (use low rates down low). I don't know if the Tucano will fly similar but it may with the high thrust line.

Isaac F 06-13-2007 08:55 PM

Issues with inverted engine, floods easy and all the oil ends up on the glow plug, dribbles fuel out the carb
What a shame:( I really like the way the Tucano looks but if it going to give me problems maybe its a good idea to avoid it.

I have another plane in my mind............... I think I will go with the Phoenix Models F20

THX,

Isaac

rcflyer1970 06-13-2007 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've had a few DC Tigersharks they come out nose heavy but fly nice, not the fastest plane lots of drag in the fuse area, they bleed speed fast when you pull the nose up on approach. I'm using a Sports Aviat wing on my scrath built fuse, speed is decent with a OS 50 Piped with a 70SZ carb, prop 9.50X8.